Shuffling off this mortal coil

Zetter

Sorry if this is a bit morbid but a recent bereavement in the family where I am having to sort out his shotguns got me thinking. How do you go about preventing your nearest and dearest having issue with your firearms if the worst was to happen to you i.e for them to be sorted without much hassle?

Obviously no one but the ticket holder is supposed to know where the keys are but I would like to put something in place so if anything happens to me unexpectedly my Mrs wont be burdened with too much aggravation over my kit.

Shotguns are a bit easier as I could get one of my shooting buddies to help out with them as its relatively easy to move shotguns from ticket to ticket but section 1 is a different matter due to the tighter specifications and slot issues.

Any advice from the PW massive on a painless way to set this up.

Cheers Zetter

Leave written instructions that the spouse or nominated executor of the estate gets onto plod & is issued a Section 7 permit to allow possession & disposal.

May help to leave guidelines too on makes models & prices, etc.

Dont forget reloading kit & other ancillary items

Somewhere here i've got a letter from Lincolnshire saying that should a licence holder pass away, their firearms/shotguns must immediately be surrendered to the police!

Obviously that's a load of tosh, my partner does not know where i keep my keys, but she does know if i was to suddenly go, who to phone, who can take legal possession of my guns and the phone number of a locksmith to get into my cabinets!

Somewhere here i've got a letter from Lincolnshire saying that should a licence holder pass away, their firearms/shotguns must immediately be surrendered to the police!

Aye

100% BS that one. Someone needs to read the Firearms Acts

Know of a recent horror story in West Mids of such a thing happening. Police took airguns, powder, primwrs, ammo & all sorts away. No receipt ever provided & no relative allowed to monitor what was happening.

RFD received one rifle & a couple of airguns, SEVERAL MONTHS later. (Still no paperwork.)

The empty boxes told a different story of what HAD been owned.

The guns were away before the blokes body was cold!

I had this happen to me recently - an acquaintance left me a letter in the event of his death....

This happened - the keys to his gunsafe were in a safe, and his wife knew the combo of the safe.

I contacted the police, and all they wanted was for the guns to be disposed of asap. I took them to the nearest gunshop and got a pittance for them, which I passed on to the widow. If I had not done this the police would no doubt have scrapped them.