Hanging a new door advice

The Mighty Prawn

Hello gang

Now my carpentry skills are akin to my clay shooting skills which as the current holder of the PW charity shoot wooden spoon tells you all you need to know but I'm trying to replace my internal doors and just need a bit of advice.

I've bought pre made liners and new doors so hinges etc already fitted but on the doors where the hinges need attaching there are little plastic patches flush with the edges - question is am I supposed to take those out first or screw through them?

Hello gang

Now my carpentry skills are akin to my clay shooting skills which as the current holder of the PW charity shoot wooden spoon tells you all you need to know but I'm trying to replace my internal doors and just need a bit of advice.

I've bought pre made liners and new doors so hinges etc already fitted but on the doors where the hinges need attaching there are little plastic patches flush with the edges - question is am I supposed to take those out first or screw through them?

Never heard of these,but am in the trade and the flush patches need to come out as the rebated bit for the hinge is what carries the weight of the door.

Brave man to attempt internal doors with no experience,good luck,see if you can watch a clip of door hanging a few times !

I live a life of blind optimism interspersed with furious frustration so if you hear anguished screams from the Bromsgrove area fear not!

Weirdly the rebates in the doors are larger than the hinge plate so either way the screws will be bearing the weight?

Perhaps you're right and I should get builder in law to come and be Yoda in exchange for beer

I live a life of blind optimism interspersed with furious frustration so if you hear anguished screams from the Bromsgrove area fear not!

Weirdly the rebates in the doors are larger than the hinge plate so either way the screws will be bearing the weight?

Perhaps you're right and I should get builder in law to come and be Yoda in exchange for beer

If you get stuck just pm me dude. I'll give you a chuck

It sounds like the doors have been machined probably by cnc router, if you put your hinge butted up to the top of the rebate then the weight will not just be on the screws.

Have the handles been put on the door already?

Putting the hinges on is the easy bit the handle and getting the door to sit right is the tricky bit.

I am a fellow optimist but would strongly suggest getting someone who knows what they are doing in. It's one of those jobs that even takes the pros a surprising amount of time.

+1

I have hung quite a few doors in the past but if I get a job that needs 3 or more hanging,I sub them out to a pro.

Are you painting the doors? If so a bit of filler and paint can hide most mistakes!

Team Tractor it seems next weekend there will be much carpentry talk amongst shooting!

The doors and liners cam with all the work done except assembling and adding knobs so hopefully the really tricky stuff is taken care of

I'm going to try one and see how it goes

Thanks all

Nothing changes then. Talk and shoot

Hello gang

you just need the biggest and longest screws you can find as we all know the longer the screw the better it will hold so find some 4"+ :good::good::good::good:

UPDATE

Took all day to hang one but I have and it opens and closes so at the very least I can now have a dump in peace and quiet! Had no internal doors since Christmas, I'd say it's progress.

Hopefully the remaining six will see incremental speed increase but right now feeling super chuffed with myself

Might build an oak framed house next...

UPDATE

Took all day to hang one but I have and it opens and closes so at the very least I can now have a dump in peace and quiet! Had no internal doors since Christmas..

Progress you say ?

I'd say it must've been helluva a dump if you've been saving it up since Christmas

UPDATE

Took all day to hang one but I have and it opens and closes so at the very least I can now have a dump in peace and quiet! Had no internal doors since Christmas, I'd say it's progress.

Hopefully the remaining six will see incremental speed increase but right now feeling super chuffed with myself

Might build an oak framed house next...

The remaining 6 dumps ;)

We'll done you, should have said start with a door your going to use the least that way if its not as good as you would like its not the end of the world.

Sure someone said on a different thread chippys on site get an hour to do a door!!

I'd get the sack that's for sure.