DIY bricklaying for numpties

Blunderbuss

hello, pretty easy for the foundation concrete 10/12inch thick with width as you want 15inc? or if hard ground concrete blocks on side should take weight put on a bed of mortar, for brick laying you can buy a gadget that puts the right amount of mortar on each brick ( B and Q called the brick easy) then just face off with trowel, wait till nearly dry and use trowel handle end to smooth joints, mortar can be purchased ready mixed bags, concrete can work out square meter at builders merchant and get aggri/cement/ you dont say how big but i put my 10 x 8 ft on blocks as stated, oh and a bricky level, am sure there are U TUBEY VIDS, good luck and good growing

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

It probably depends on how tidy and precise u have to be.

Not rocket science to build at a basic level if u have a bit of common sense, but to do a real tidy job or tricky bits (or sole problems if something goes wrong) does take more knowledge/skill. And as someone said earlier do u have to look at it all the time or is it hidden

While it is not hard to build a few courses of bricks/blocks it might be harder getting them spot on and tidy to fit the greenhouse, just depend how precise u have to be for the grenhouse and if u have to look at it every day if u make a mess.

Even getting something square is not always easy depending on the size.

Spend your time on the corners for level and plumb, then run the line and make the top ***** of the brick correspond to the line. If you brick touches the line too hard you will move it outwards and then the next brick is out as well and so on. If your only doing a course or two then no worries crack on, you wont go far enough wrong to worry about because your corners are good.

Good luck, honestly anyone can build as it's all in a book somewhere. Trowel skill comes with practice it'll feel like a shovel to start. :good:

Don't know why they blanked that out it is the proper name for the edge of a brick a/r/r/i/s see if this works

Edited by tonker

In the summer of 1987 The wife built the brick and block walls for our garage. It survived the hurricane and is still there and upright 30 years later. She's a dab hand at painting and wallpapering​ as well. No, I don't​ hire her out on sub contract work. I need her to get my dinner sorted first.

In the summer of 1987 The wife built the brick and block walls for our garage. It survived the hurricane and is still there and upright 30 years later. She's a dab hand at painting and wallpapering​ as well. No, I don't​ hire her out on sub contract work. I need her to get my dinner sorted first.

I'll buy you a Maccy D, and she can come and sort my wall?

Have a go its only a green house,make sure its square 345 ;) and level so the green house actually sits on the base.

I was bricking on price work in second year of college,would not have been able to do a base with no experience,but that was before internet :whistling:

I've been bricklaying for 45 years and would like a pound for every time someone said that looks easy, by the time you have brought everything and the time spent on it and if its wrong its all a waste just pay a local builder to do it!!

I have never said it's easy. It looks difficult and I'm sure it is much, much harder than it looks. I would never knock a skilled tradesman of any type. I hear what you are saying and I suspect you're right. However, it's not about saving a few quid, I get a buzz out of trying new things and learning new skills. I have plenty of time, so if it takes me 10 times longer than a brickie would, it doesn't matter.

I'm going to read up, watch a LOT of YouTube vids and build a practice wall before I start. And best of all, a kind PW member who is a proffesional brickie has offered to advise and help if necessary.

You'll find it an education :lol:. The only tip I will give you as most of what you're going to do will seem difficult at first (but isn't) and that is get your muck right, and you won't be fighting it all the time (too wet/too dry) oh!! and use admix or similar, not washing up liquid as too much of this will kill the cement in the muck and make it powdery.

Edited by tonker