Should I oil this Fore end?

SportingMonty

Hello,

I am new to shooting and purchased a S/H over and under. I had found a little scratch on the fore end crosshatching, I was wondering if i could rub some Boiled linseed oil on this and then wipe dry (ie apply to a limited area).

No idea how it happened, may have been gun cabinet.... Please see picture below( looks worse in the light), what do you guys recommend? my primary concern is that this will let water in and the secondary concern is how it looks.

What should i do!?

post-80368-0-49802700-1499613031_thumb.jpg

Looks like you'll need a new forend, not many people could fix damage that serious and if you do the gun will never be the same 😉

I'd just give it a quick drop of something if you're really bothered but most of my guns have much bigger scratches than that and they're out in all weathers and I've never had an issue yet

Jamie

Not sure i can spot the damage, have you got a better picture?

Unless i have missed something huge i reckon your best bet is to throw it in the car and go out shooting. You will feel much better about that mark when it has a few better ones with memories of good trips accompanying them.

I actually read that and my heart sank, until i realised you were mocking my anxiety haha.

As it seems its only asthetic, reckon i could rub Boiled linseed oil on the affected area and then dry it and forget about it?

I put walnut oil from somewhere in Lincolnshire on mine, beautiful stuff.

I would just LEAVE IT ALONE and shoot it. As already stated it will pick up far worse than that and I would NOT be tempted to put any oil on the chequering, it will get plenty of colour in there once you put your sweaty little mitts on it !

IF you really MUST do something to it, apply a THIN coat of alkanet root oil (Red Oil) using a child's fine paintbrush and it will soak into the wood very quickly.

Try and get a copy of July and August Sporting Shooter, 2 good articles in there covering oiling of Gunstocks.

Edited by Westley

Hi

Appreciate your concern for your woodwork on the Gun

And better to ask on a minor ding than wait until you have trashed a gun

Tiny bit of walnut oil will sort it

Boiled linseed a drip on your hand and polish until you feel the heat

Note boiled linseed on a cloth can spontaneously combust so be careful

Enjoy your gun

All the best

Of

Instead of a fiver go to the Poundshop and get an elbow sock, they are long enough to cover most of the wood on an O/U or S/A, and if you have 5 guns you have just saved £20.

Good idea....never heard of them so will investigate these as would love more gun sox but not at the prices they're being retailed at!

Hi

Appreciate your concern for your woodwork on the Gun

And better to ask on a minor ding than wait until you have trashed a gun

Tiny bit of walnut oil will sort it

Boiled linseed a drip on your hand and polish until you feel the heat

Note boiled linseed on a cloth can spontaneously combust so be careful

Enjoy your gun

All the best

Of

ON THAT POINT!

Around 10 years again when i was fit and able, i layed our dining room and kitchen floor in some type natural slate type of stone.

I did read the instructions, and laughed at the self combustible used rags warning. AS IF......... That was until hours later at night our bungalow was filled with smoke and we had to wake our young children, put them in the car and i drove clear of our place. I then realized the implications of those warnings, and dragged an oil soaked large beach towel out onto the drive while my wife called the fire brigade. You live and learn...

Good idea....never heard of them so will investigate these as would love more gun sox but not at the prices they're being retailed at!

I have bought all of mine off Fleabay and not paid over £6 inc. delivery. It is OK covering the stock BUT if you scrape the barrels, a drop of linseed oil is not much use.

thanks for the replies, ill rub some boiled linseed oil on sparingly - ive already socked him up as a result.

You can get walnut oil in most big supermarkets. If you feel the gun deserves only the best then buy the walnut oil in Waitrose not Lidl/Aldi.

Damp towel and press a hot iron to it to lift the damage as much as you can then palm/rub a bit of stock oil of you choice into the wood and leave to dry.

Phillips walnut oil preparation is ok to rub over once in a while like a few times a year at most.