Which pickup?

wildfowler.250

So I've tried a search on the above and thought there would be loads but I couldn't really track down much of use,(bar a few Navara snapped chassis threads).

Keen to get a pick up mainly as a second vehicle for shooting. Likely need to take 3 folk so double cab most realistic. How do the models available compare for ride comfort / roads, off road ability, reliability,(and mpg although that's all very similar).

Currently keen on the ranger? Any pros/cons on any of the models or any experiences would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently drove on the same morning. Amarok,ranger and navara

Amarok, most refined on road manners but slow steering short seat bases and lots of wind noise

Ranger, best styling, louder engine and very jiggly ride and obtrusive tyre rumble

Navara busy noisy engine,no center arm rest and back seat bast is too inclined to be good for adults

These comparisons are relative to each other

Recently drove on the same morning. Amarok,ranger and navara

Amarok, most refined on road manners but slow steering short seat bases and lots of wind noise

Ranger, best styling, louder engine and very jiggly ride and obtrusive tyre rumble

Navara busy noisy engine,no center arm rest and back seat bast is too inclined to be good for adults

These comparisons are relative to each other

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Which did you prefer? Amaroks are huge!

Lots depends on your budget and what age vehicle you are looking for. Older rangers are pretty agricultural, new are holding value well. I'm on my 3rd l200 as it does what I need, reasonable economy and is my everyday transport.

Hilux tend to be a lot more money as do Amaroks I also like the size of the l200 they aren't massive.

If it's just a shoot vehicle I'd be looking at the hilux in the sale section

Thanks for the feedback!

Do hilux tend to be the best thought of then?

It's the old man that's buying but he's not as computer literate as myself.. he was looking at a ranger couple of years old for £22,000 ish so budget is reasonable but i was trying to steer him lower if it's just for shooting and getting a bit mucky.

So really flex budget but which area of cars to focus on would be a good starting point.

Many thanks again!

L200 well known for soft drive train, but cheap and loved by the masses

Navara, snapping chassis and breaking timing chains! New model maybe better, take your chance

Amarok, VW never got the 4x4 system together, but everything else will work spot on, early indications chassis not great either

X-class, it's a navara with a new bumper, see above

Isuzu, they never sold any, no secondhand bits and poor dealer network means expensive parts, new one has a 1.9engine

Hilux, they don't call them invincible for no reason

He would get a bloody good Hilux for 22k. My 14 plate 39,000miles cost me around 15k last year. Don't bother with the 3.0 autos, they drink fuel for not a lot of gain. My 2.5 will tow the horse, or beaters trailer or 2t of water quite happily. And returned 34mpg on a run from Suffolk to Yorkshire.

To be honest for what you want it for and the budget you have to spend anything will do the job and will come down to personal preference and the best deal you can get on an approved used.

When I looked 18 months ago I was looking for a work van that would spend Monday to Friday on the road then weekends shooting and dragging vintage tractors to shows. For me my favourite was the new l200 barbarian.

Imo the hilux seemed expensive and as I wasnt planning on keeping it long enough to sell onto some sand dwelling terrorists I really couldn't care less if they last 2 million miles.

I have had a older navara 09 plate and didn't get on with it and changed it for a 64 plate hilux and loved it as it suited my needs being self employed the hill was miles better than the navara. I have just changed it for the brand new hill and I love it really impressed with it so far but it was pricy.

obviously it depends on budgets I did have a very basic 2002 l200 just purely as a shoot vehicle and to be honest it was no frills but I loved it until the tinkers came and stripped it for spares in the night on my drive and wrote it off :shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot:

At that budget you would get a nearly new l200 with balance of 5 year warranty. The new shape is pretty good and well up there economy wise.

It all depends his use and whether it's a full time driver, best option is to test drive some as that's the real decider

Thanks again for all the info. Appreciate it!

Basically the hilux and the l200 seem very popular. Has anyone seen the video of the "moose Test" for the hilux though? It would put anyone off.. ?

We'll test drive a couple as that's always sensible but this thread has been really helpful in narrowing down the options. Many thanks and as always, any further replies are always appreciated!

Ranger and Navara were my favourites over the years, now have a Navara which has been faultless, the estate I work on has an L200 which has been nothing but trouble as was a mates nearly new one which put me off them, not scientific I know but was enough to turn me to another manufacturer. Hilux always gets a good review but not had enough time with one to decide.

Edited by Goldfish

i have a ranger which i have had for five years cant fault it. had a l200 before but had never end of problems with, it never again. working in the trade i have always kept well clear of the navaras. 2 of my shooting mates now have hiluxs which is what i would go for next. or possibly a isuzu rodeo as fuel economy is suppose to be very good