Conflict of interests/loyalty?

panoma1

It seems Kezia Dugdale whilst serving as the Labour MSP and leader in Scotland is in a relationship with serving SNP MSP Jenny Gilruth.....I make no comment on their sexuality, but I find the cross party nature of their liaison disturbing as it brings into question their political integrity and loyalty to their respective political parties.

Opinions?

It seems Kezia Dugdale whilst serving as the Labour MSP and leader in Scotland is in a relationship with serving SNP MSP Jenny Gilruth.....I make no comment on their sexuality, but I find the cross party nature of their liaison disturbing as it brings into question their political integrity and loyalty to their respective political parties.

Opinions?

My opinion is they are individuals, I have different political/ethical opinions to my wife.

Leave them alone.

How can it undermine their integrity?

Are you slightly suggesting we have rules that MP's have to have their choice of partners scrutinised and vetoed?

Edited by kyska

My opinion is they are individuals, I have different political/ethical opinions to my wife.

Leave them alone.

You and your wife do not influence/make policies and laws that affect the lives of other people (the people of Scotland) and why should politician be left alone? They are (or at least should be!) accountable/answerable to the electorate.

Leave them alone.

I didn't write "undermine" integrity, I wrote "brings into question" if you can't see how two people from opposing political parties having an intense personal relationship could bring their political integrity into question, you have too trusting a nature!

Are you slightly suggesting we have rules that MP's have to have their choice of partners scrutinised and vetoed?

The way a politician conducts their private life including their choice of partner/s will quite rightly be scrutinised by everyone including the electorate because the choices a politician makes in their personal life could bring their honesty, decency and integrity into question and/or could have a negative impact on their ability to represent the people who elected them!....but no one has the right to veto an individual's choices, as long as they are lawful...... but everyone is judged against the choices they make.

I think they are of the same opinions;

• How big a rise can we manage to get this year?
  • Whose expenses account shall we book today's meal/travel/hotel to?
  • What all expenses 'liaison' tripe would make a nice holiday this year?
  • How much extra pension can we extract?
  • Out for everything they can get (money, honours, consultancies, public speaking .........
  • What shall we have from the subsidised bar/restaurant today

Most politicians are extremely 'flexible' politically ........ e.g., Mrs May was a 'Remainer', but is now leading Brexit - but all have underlying characteristics that drove them to become politicians;

• a thirst for power over others
  • a greed for salary rises when others get none and a life on publicly funded expense accounts
  • an ability to 'tailor' (read reverse) their opinions quickly to suit the prevailing electoral climate

Frankly I hold most politicians in extreme contempt.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Leave them alone.

I see your point. I'd have thought it'd make their home life harder than their political lives. They're both acting to publicly subvert the other's fervent opinions. Every couple has disagreements and as you say, potentially deeply held convictions, but do you spend every moment of your employed day working to make sure your partner's wishes fail?

Dugdale told a journalist during an interview she was "gay but don't tell anyone".

I don't know her but is that the level of intelligence our MP's have? Yes I think it might be.

As for her being gay or in a relationship with someone from a different party, sod all to do with me and so what.

The whole thing is a non story of idle tittle tattle.

Must admit I quite like KD and think she comes across fairly well, I thought she actually had resigned over it (atleast was in yest and todays papers she had resigned)

And to be honest don't really have a problem with it, and in fairness there isn't really that big a difference in politics between SNP and SL, still both left wing parties and I think KD has almost been caught out before about the independence thing as many traditional labour voters do vote for independence. I think she tried to sit on fence at last election will the tories pushed the union vote and done really well

I think that 3 of the political leaders in Scotland were gay there.

I'm sure KD actually done work experience/placement with the SNP when she was young, and she sort of ended up the labour leader as no one else wanted it, I think they'll really struggle to fill the leaders roll now. She also upset a lot of labour folk as she ws quite critical of corbyn and asked him not to come up to scotland

The suns offering odd of 5/1 for her to defect to SNP

Dugdale told a journalist during an interview she was "gay but don't tell anyone".

I don't know her but is that the level of intelligence our MP's have? Yes I think it might be.

As for her being gay or in a relationship with someone from a different party, sod all to do with me and so what.

The whole thing is a non story of idle tittle tattle.

If you care and it affects you directly, then vote accordingly.

If not, and there's not a sex-tape doing the rounds, then who cares?

LS

But it is to do with us! Politicians make the rules that you and I have to live by, if their integrity is in any way compromised, it could affect you and your life...and we should care! Not caring ( bothering) gives them a free hand to do as they please with our lives!

We are free to be gay, straight or whatever, we are also free to date/marry people from conflicting industries, political parties etc etc.

No idea why you think they shouldn't.

I care and I am bothered but not about this because it doesn't make any difference or matter. It certainly doesn't compromise either of them IMO.

But it is to do with us! Politicians make the rules that you and I have to live by, if their integrity is in any way compromised, it could affect you and your life...and we should care! Not caring ( bothering) gives them a free hand to do as they please with our lives!

And if it isn't?

I'm not sure I see how their integrity HAS been compromised. Plenty of scope where it MIGHT be, but if they are still acting with the best wishes of their party/voters in mind, if they're not breaking the law, if they're working hard at their jobs, then how are they not acting with integrity? Let them get on with their jobs until someone can demonstrate that they can't.

You and your wife do not influence/make policies and laws that affect the lives of other people (the people of Scotland) and why should politician be left alone? They are (or at least should be!) accountable/answerable to the electorate.

Ahh, so you've posted this to provide a platform for your soapbox.

Why didn't you just spout it out rather than asking for opinions, you'd have the same thing to say.

Trolling is a harsh label, but you're not far off.

Edited by kyska

Ahh, so you've posted this to provide a platform for your soapbox.

Why didn't you just spout it out rather than asking for opinions, you'd have the same thing to say.

Trolling is a harsh label, but you're not far off.

So asking for opinion on the conduct of a politician/s and expecting the individuals we elect to be accountable and answerable is trolling is it? On the other hand, you appear to think it acceptable to launch a personal attack on someone who asks a question and maybe has an opinion that differs from yours?....if you want to see what a troll looks like........look in the mirror!

And if it isn't?

I'm not sure I see how their integrity HAS been compromised. Plenty of scope where it MIGHT be, but if they are still acting with the best wishes of their party/voters in mind, if they're not breaking the law, if they're working hard at their jobs, then how are they not acting with integrity? Let them get on with their jobs until someone can demonstrate that they can't.

I didn't write HAS, I wrote IF......it was a question not a statement!

You write "but IF they are still acting with the best wishes of their party/voters" and "IF they're working hard at their jobs"......that more or less the question I was posing!

We are free to be gay, straight or whatever, we are also free to date/marry people from conflicting industries, political parties etc etc.

No idea why you think they shouldn't.

I care and I am bothered but not about this because it doesn't make any difference or matter. It certainly doesn't compromise either of them IMO.

Are you clairvoyant? Claiming you know what I think! .........where exactly in my posting do I say we are not "free to be gay, straight or whatever" or we are not "free to date/marry people from conflicting industries, political parties etc etc"?

And you appear to have inside knowledge that no one else is aware of? How else could you know that "it certainly doesn't compromise either of them"? For the sake of clarity, that is a statement...not a question!

Edited by panoma1