Proper cartridges

filzee

Well I was a bit dubious about these after the negative comments. But having just got back from Doveridge I was very impressed, I'm not expert shot but I didn't miss many birds at all, midi's, battue and teal all seemed to break well.

So all I can say to those that say there rubbish, give me a bell and I'll give you some shooting lessons.

Lol

As said they were fine in a normal barrel, as you have a few it would be interesting if you could but some down a back-bored barrel.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I'm going to get another shotgun just to see if they shoot out of a back bored thingy ma-jig.

From what I understand of having a shotgun back bored i would be wasting my money, if you don't shoot a standard shotgun well, then twiddling with back bore won't make you world champion. Or will it ???

Maybe I could be chasing Mr Digweed.

Mmmmm :-)

I don't think I'm going to get another shotgun just to see if they shoot out of a back bored thingy ma-jig.

From what I understand of having a shotgun back bored i would be wasting my money, if you don't shoot a standard shotgun well, then twiddling with back bore won't make you world champion. Or will it ???

Perhaps it might just clarify things to simply say that when you buy a Maxus, back-bored is what you get. If you're ever down this way and can spare some time some shooting lessons would be welcome. I did qualify as a BASC coach back in '86 but am gettin a tad rusty now.

Surely back bored barrels are`n`t expected to perform optimally with fibre wads ?

No there not! That why a lot of people used the 3800 trap guns on high birds as they werent over bored

Interesting points. As there is no mention of this in the Maxus manual, I wonder how one would get on if one were to claim a refund as the gun was not fit for purpose. Also it makes one wonder how the thousands of shooters whose fine old English pieces have been honed out because of fair wear and tear manage with their 2&1/2" fibre cartridges. Have to say that all was superbly well (am obliged by the estate to use nothing but fibre) until I tried these.

No there not! That why a lot of people used the 3800 trap guns on high birds as they werent over bored

p

Not sure what percentage is lots but must be small in my experience as I don't see many.

As to the cartridges wanted to try some agreed a price etc but could never get them from George so stuck with Supreme game and Black Gold and now use Hellfires none have issues with back bored barrels etc.

Shame they sounded good but you can't shoot what you can't get.

Perhaps you`re just unlucky with your particular gun ! Know what you mean about lapped out guns...a friend had a 20b that had barrels lapped out to the lower end of 16b proof and it still shot ok.To be fair tho`,that was in the 80`s and most decent 20b ammo at the time was plaswad loaded.

Thanks for invite, I wouldn't of took the **** to much about your new muzzle brake/pig sticker

Thanks for invite, I wouldn't of took the **** to much about your new muzzle brake/pig sticker

You know what,

I'm either too thick skinned or too dumb to really care about folk taking the micky.

I was only there 1/2 an hour just to see what they shot like. I don't think you would have travelled 2 hrs for 1/2 hour's shooting.

If I shoot as well with the new boom stick as I have with the 30.06 I don't think any will get close enough to poke at them.

;-)

You know what,

I'm either too thick skinned or too dumb to really care about folk taking the micky.

I was only there 1/2 an hour just to see what they shot like. I don't think you would have travelled 2 hrs for 1/2 hour's shooting.

If I shoot as well with the new boom stick as I have with the 30.06 I don't think any will get close enough to poke at them.

;-)

Don't need any shooting lessons, then.

In my experience when it comes to back bored guns it’s down to the cartridge more than the gun. Plaswads will shoot in anything , fibre are not so forgiving with back boring , if you buy cheap fibre wads they generally won’t perform , spend a few bob on some and there fine.

On the cheap fibre it’s more like compressed card/pulp which does not seal , on the more expensive shells it’s more like compressed felt as it should be.

Last weekend we was shooting fibre at ABT and it was fine ( DT11s and 692 )

So spend so money and buy decent shells

Don't need any shooting lessons, then.

It's only the 3rd time this year that my shotguns been out of the cabinet. I do more rifle than anything else. But I've had the odd invite to shoot pheasant, crows and pigeons recently so just needed to check these new cartridges. Specially after the negative reviews about them not patterning and shot clumping together.

Ref "new boom stick" it's a Browning Maral in 9.3x62 flavour, so not really ideal for clays. Lol

In my experience when it comes to back bored guns it’s down to the cartridge more than the gun. Plaswads will shoot in anything , fibre are not so forgiving with back boring , if you buy cheap fibre wads they generally won’t perform , spend a few bob on some and there fine.

On the cheap fibre it’s more like compressed card/pulp which does not seal , on the more expensive shells it’s more like compressed felt as it should be.

Last weekend we was shooting fibre at ABT and it was fine ( DT11s and 692 )

So spend so money and buy decent shells

Always a good idea.

Bought 10k from George and used maybe 2-3000 and got on just fine with them.Even the days when i used to buy expensive stuff to try and compensate for my lack of skills i use these with good results.

Know another 5-6 fellas yjay use them up here and all speak favourably of them too.

I norm get a delivery when george is dropping some off with the pro guides up north. Ive had 10000 between me an the old man and we have had no issues whatsoever. Norm get 32g 5s for the higher birds or 32g 6s. Its like most things in life, you try it and it works for you you keep using until you have an issue/find a better one/find a cheaper one!! Im not doubting folk have some issues,given the quantity hes making Im sure theres a rouge shell or 2.

Guest cookoff013

I've had possible 30K off George and had two misfires that went on the second try. I've never found them to be a problem, I use 32g 6s 12 bore plastic. Will try and get him to make some steel in the future.

good luck with that one.

I had a serious attempt via ShootClay to get him interested in coming up with a sensible spec 28g clay load that many to this day have pledged multi thousand orders :yes: and after weeks of forum replies, calls and "lets wait and see what the price of lead does next month" :rolleyes: eventually went cold.

The trouble with the big loaders is they have a large captive audience, the trouble with George is he's not big enough to need that, in other words he doesn't need to walk the walk.

I had a serious attempt via ShootClay to get him interested in coming up with a sensible spec 28g clay load that many to this day have pledged multi thousand orders :yes: and after weeks of forum replies, calls and "lets wait and see what the price of lead does next month" :rolleyes: eventually went cold.

The trouble with the big loaders is they have a large captive audience, the trouble with George is he's not big enough to need that, in other words he doesn't need to walk the walk.

Thing is, as frustrating as that was/is ...if he is flat out making game loads at 30% more, why make clay loads? I assume the differential is pure profit..

Thing is, as frustrating as that was/is ...if he is flat out making game loads at 30% more, why make clay loads? I assume the differential is pure profit..

I agree, ultimately you can't blame the man.

Just one thing though, why give it the time of day to begin with if he knows it's kinda beneath him profit or money wise.