Kids and Christmas.

team tractor

What about a metal detector? Maybe he'd be interested in what treasures he could find and spend time outdoors in the process?

Oooo I like that idea

Ticket to Disneyland perhaps? How about some go kart racing days? Horse riding? Survival skills school? RC nitro car and get one yourself too! Then you can do father and son tweaking and racing!

We've had the cars etc but always worth a punt ;)

Theres no easy answer and if you and the ex arent both pulling in the same direction then its up hill.

But hes 8, not 18.

At 8 Id be dead against him having a tv let alone an x-box in his bedroom.

Now Im no Victorian parent but with 3 boys I know that if you let them have a tv / pc / Xbox in their bedrooms then you wont see them again :lol:

I'm getting worried about him . His mum leaves him for hours in his room on his Xbox but I only have him 12 days a month .

I can't get him out of his room . He won't leave to come out in the van any where so I'm after any great ideas to get him out.

His bike is sat there :(

Book an activity. High ropes, bouldering, a rugby game together. My lad would play on his computers all the time if I let him. But I book things where we can do it together, where theres a sense of achievement.

Theres no easy answer and if you and the ex arent both pulling in the same direction then its up hill.

But hes 8, not 18.

At 8 Id be dead against him having a tv let alone an x-box in his bedroom.

Now Im no Victorian parent but with 3 boys I know that if you let them have a tv / pc / Xbox in their bedrooms then you wont see them again :lol:

My eldest daughter is happier drawing and colouring but she's 11 and my 2 year old is happy drawing too.

The ex is lazy and pads are an easy option

Book an activity. High ropes, bouldering, a rugby game together. My lad would play on his computers all the time if I let him. But I book things where we can do it together, where theres a sense of achievement.

I'll look into it cheers

Good luck Nath,my 9 year old grandson lives n breathes Playstation ,on from dusk til dawn and the daughter lets him as she gets peace n quiet.He will try things once but thats it no commitment unless its shouting at the tv when his brother beats him on the blooming P/S .

Sad really he,s not a bad footballer but prefers games on the screen :no:

No X boxes/playstations in this house!Don't get me wrong there used to be but they were murder.The two boys didn't spend hours on them,but both became very frustrated.Both Fished and shot,so got plenty of exercise.I was pleased when they decided to sell them. Been Xbox & PlayStation free for 4yrs now and would never allow one back in the house.We don't even shoot anymore,only fish.The little one (12) only has a tablet & phone now but they are took off him at 7pm.

My mates kids are hooked on the electronics and they are like little zombies.They don't visit often (thank god) but when they do they don't stay long (Xbox withdrawal).One thing I find really sad is 'blokes'playing them.

Edited by Davyo

No X boxes/playstations in this house!Don't get me wrong there used to be but they were murder.The two boys didn't spend hours on them,but both became very frustrated.Both Fished and shot,so got plenty of exercise.I was pleased when they decided to sell them. Been Xbox & PlayStation free for 4yrs now and would never allow one back in the house.We don't even shoot anymore,only fish.The little one (12) only has a tablet & phone now but they are took off him at 7pm.

My mates kids are hooked on the electronics and they are like little zombies.They don't visit often (thank god) but when they do they don't stay long (Xbox withdrawal).One thing I find really sad is 'blokes'playing them.

I love my PlayStation but after 20 minutes I'm bored of it. I have 20 minutes before bed normally after 12 hours st work it chills me to get to sleep.

It's the other end with the witch that's the main problem unfortunately

Looked at them yesterday :) until the price popped up :/

It's out my reach .

Great idea tho

hi Nathan have you tried the clay pigeon route in to shooting, my lad had the same view on shooting about the (murder) took him claying then he wanted to go every week now he's 22 he takes me 😊

I've taken him to the range and it was less than 15 minutes he moaned to go home :/ I can't win. I'd off loved it

Good luck Nath,my 9 year old grandson lives n breathes Playstation ,on from dusk til dawn and the daughter lets him as she gets peace n quiet.He will try things once but thats it no commitment unless its shouting at the tv when his brother beats him on the blooming P/S .

Sad really he,s not a bad footballer but prefers games on the screen :no:

i winds you up doesn't it

No X boxes/playstations in this house!Don't get me wrong there used to be but they were murder.The two boys didn't spend hours on them,but both became very frustrated.

This is what we found - theyd play a game and not get what they wanted out of it eg a conclusion, a win or whatever and it just made them permanently bad tempered.

Mine are 16, 14 and 12 and they all play on line with their mates - its part of their social herirachy and no one wants to be the kid at school with no telly. But, if they get bad tempered or we think theyve just had enough then Ill turn the router off and force them on a dog walk - yes theres 20 minutes of shouting and moaning and every time I hit the red button they were in the middle of the most important gaming moment in history, but it soon passes.

My mum always told me growing up that its the easiest thing to say yes to a child, and that being a parent included having to say no.

Its double tricky if youre divorced though - my mate Gary went through the divorce from hell and his ex was what I could only describe as an ignorant chav. He always wrestled with being the grown up and the parent but was fought and undermined at every step by the ex - hed tell the kids they could only have 1 bag of Harribo a day when with him and the next time hed see them theyd gleefully tell him that Mum had bought them a box of harribo because Dad was so mean and unfair to only let them have 1 bag. Hes got a great relationship with them now because hes always been honest - his mantra to them was Im not your mate, Im your dad. Anyways, the stuff that went on in his divorce he should write a book. I digress...

What about challenging him to a 100m sprint on the tract £10 to the winner, easy money for him.

Joke a side, take him Field Target shooting with your air rifle, or just shooting spinners at your permission, don't have to shoot live stuff. Bring him clay shooting with us, Sparkie takes Mike, they can use his twenty bore semi auto.

Edited by reggiegun

What about a metal detector? Maybe he'd be interested in what treasures he could find and spend time outdoors in the process?

hello, i did a childrens day a few years back on a local dig and they were all very interested to lean and did find a few items and enjoyed being out doors, if you think this might be something for you both to do like decoy mentioned, you could give Keven of Stafford metal detectors a call who i would expect have a suitable machine.

Its all part of growing up in the gaming generation Im afraid.

My son and daughter lost interest in shooting, and the former got heavily into gaming; mostly shoot ups such as Mafia, Black and COD etc.

My only concern was when he one day asked for GTA and I explained that I was t really happy with him playing that game. He understood and didnt complain but it was obvious he was playing it at the houses of his mates, which meant a trip out for me to collect him on dark nights, so I gave in.

I thoroughly explained the rights and wrongs of such games and why I was concerned then left him to it.

As he was heavily into football his only request each Christmas was the latest FIFA game.

Until he discovered girls his biggest gaming passion was FIFA and Minecraft.

Hes 18 now and doesnt bother with gaming at all.

My advice would be to buy your lad the game he wants; its just a phase they all go through in my opinion.

If PlayStation has been around when I was a lad Id have been possessed by it too.

I Think I know the answer Nathan and I'm going to be brutally honest....

Its because your a boring *******.... who would want to spend time with you lol... :lol::lol: :lol: :lol::lol::yahoo:

I don't know why we are mates ;)

What about challenging him to a 100m sprint on the tract £10 to the winner, easy money for him.

Joke a side, take him Field Target shooting with your air rifle, or just shooting spinners at your permission, don't have to shoot live stuff. Bring him clay shooting with us, Sparkie takes Mike, they can use his twenty bore semi auto.

Your evil too ;)

I'm thinking a BB gun for a bit of garden fun but he moaned up at garlands on range day.

Maybe a trip with Mikey there might wake him up a bit

Edited by team tractor

It sounds as though he has made it clear he does not like shooting so regardless of the different disciplines he probably wont be that interested. Unless he has other kids going with him then its just a boring day tagging along with you and your mates. Also as an 8 year old would you really like to sit on a cold river bank for hours on end fishing?

Has he tried joining cubs/scouts as a kid i loved being part of this and opened up a lot of other hobbies and interests for me including shooting, archery, sailing, kayaking, camping all stuff i still enjoy doing now.

Find out what games he likes as may give you an insight into his interests.