Bitcoin- buy now?

eddoakley

I bought XRP at $0.23 and sold at $0.8 and cashed out half as i thought it was oversold, i bought in again on a dip at 10 cents lower per xrp.

Let go of the lot when it hit $2.2 as its market cap made me feel as though it was extremely oversold.

They have been doing very good business though which reflects in the current price, I have some alerts set and if/when it hits i'll buy in again and hold them on a longer term basis incase it decided to blow. 

I was very dubious of crypto and took me months to take the plunge but out of all my investments it's been far the most profitable. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Hi John 

yes with bitcoin a significant proportion is value driven at present and i can warrant that 99.9 of the people who have bought bitcoin have never used it for a transaction and would not even know how to. They are holding it for gains and in the hope of cashing out into fiat and that is not what it's real aim was/is, I used some bitcoin towards buying the equipment for my mining rig from the biggest supplier of computer equipment in the uk. The transaction took seconds, like all currency and new technology for bitcoin to succeed as what it was intended for as a transactional repository of worth will require mass adoption. Amazon has just registered amazon.bitcoin and amazon.ethereum domain names which may signal a move towards acceptance, ebay recently said it is looking at accepting bitcoin as payment, these are big and influential drivers around mass adoption. Remember when ebay was in it's infancy back in the early 2000's and cherie blair bought a pair of shoes on there. Paypals use rose by millions within society who had previously been suspicious and reluctant to adopt paypals use. I am in no way saying we should all run out and buy bitcoin as there is tons to be ironed out, as i said in my previous post bitcoin is struggling with a scaling concept at present. There are other currencies/ contracts which are built upon the bitcoin bloc technology which may very well succeed bitcoin. Yes legislation is a whole other thing, that said as of today you can easily buy and sell bitcoin and use it for transactions through reputable retailers in the uk such as I did. You can also sell it if you have made a profit and it goes back into your bank account in fiat.

It seems to me a great shame that so much energy (allegedly the same amount of electricity as Denmark uses) is needed in mining these bitcoins.  With all the worries about carbon/global worming/fossil fuels it all seems rather incongruous!

16 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It seems to me a great shame that so much energy (allegedly the same amount of electricity as Denmark uses) is needed in mining these bitcoins.  With all the worries about carbon/global worming/fossil fuels it all seems rather incongruous!

Yes john an unfortunate part of the system, like any new developing technology it can be inefficient in it's early period and as development improves becomes more efficient. Most current blockchain technology currency is based purely what is known as proof of work which we have spoke about and this can be inefficient. However there is a plan to move blockchain towards what is know as proof of stake which will in theory will reduce the energy consumption massively making the system far more efficient. The blockchain community are awaiting results of upgrades and several major upgrades are due this year to the most prominent of cryptocurrencies. These efficiency measures cannot come soon enough.

Not all cryptocurrencies are mineable, many others are and require only tiny amounts of power in respect of power consumption. There is a lot bandied around re the consumption but in reality no one actually knows the exact amounts. The carbon footprint of fossil fuels used in production of energy and is then used to power large mining units in china is the main contributor of the consumption.

atb

7diaw

9 hours ago, Jason_ox said:

For those wanting to buy xrp ripple my friend created  a simple  guide to do so. Hope it helps some of you, 

http://aim-investing.com/how-to-buy-cryptocurrency/xrp-ripple/

Its nowhere near as complicated as that link suggests, you dont need to buy Ethereum first. You can just sign up on Bitstamp or another exchange, transfer USD or EUR in from your online banking and use this to purchase XRP directly. 

41 minutes ago, gsorense said:

Its nowhere near as complicated as that link suggests, you dont need to buy Ethereum first. You can just sign up on Bitstamp or another exchange, transfer USD or EUR in from your online banking and use this to purchase XRP directly. 

Cool

5 hours ago, Matty89 said:

I bought XRP at $0.23 and sold at $0.8 and cashed out half as i thought it was oversold, i bought in again on a dip at 10 cents lower per xrp.

Let go of the lot when it hit $2.2 as its market cap made me feel as though it was extremely oversold.

They have been doing very good business though which reflects in the current price, I have some alerts set and if/when it hits i'll buy in again and hold them on a longer term basis incase it decided to blow. 

I was very dubious of crypto and took me months to take the plunge but out of all my investments it's been far the most profitable. 

What platofrm etc did you use to buy and sell? 

48 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What platofrm etc did you use to buy and sell? 

I personally use Gatehub as my wallet and coinbase to buy Bitcoin which I can convert to XRP on Gatehub. 

A few friends have wanted to get in on the action but were baffled by the wallet process and it seemed to be too much hassle for them.

If this is the case for others eToro allow you to buy/short all Crypto Currency directly with no wallet or conversions or commission. However it does come at the cost of their applied spread which means you don’t get a competitive rate as if you was to buy the coins yourself and they charge a withdrawal fee if you try to remove funds.

Not recommending this as such but it can be a less hassle way in for some people to dip their toes. 

2 minutes ago, walshie said:

Well that's it. I only wanted to buy a few quids worth of ripple but it's just too complicated for an old fogey like me. I spent ages yesterday looking round various brokers and wallets and it's gibberish to me. :cry1: 

In my view, if you don't understand it - then it's not for you.  I am exactly the same (except that I have not even bothered to look as I know it will be beyond me!)

Ripple is having it's moment for now, keeps breaking resistances. I decided to buy in again late last night not long after this post as it reached its resistance level at $2.3 and broke through it.

Since then it's now sat at $2.5 and a quick healthy 12% return. I'm tempted to just chuck a few £k at ripple soon and just put it out of my mind for a while see what i come back to.

2 hours ago, Matty89 said:

Ripple is having it's moment for now, keeps breaking resistances. I decided to buy in again late last night not long after this post as it reached its resistance level at $2.3 and broke through it.

Since then it's now sat at $2.5 and a quick healthy 12% return. I'm tempted to just chuck a few £k at ripple soon and just put it out of my mind for a while see what i come back to.

How does gatehub work? 

13 hours ago, Matty89 said:

I personally use Gatehub as my wallet and coinbase to buy Bitcoin which I can convert to XRP on Gatehub. 

A few friends have wanted to get in on the action but were baffled by the wallet process and it seemed to be too much hassle for them.

If this is the case for others eToro allow you to buy/short all Crypto Currency directly with no wallet or conversions or commission. However it does come at the cost of their applied spread which means you don’t get a competitive rate as if you was to buy the coins yourself and they charge a withdrawal fee if you try to remove funds.

Not recommending this as such but it can be a less hassle way in for some people to dip their toes. 

i tried etoro but they got rid of the stop loss so you could lose all your money overnight if there was a crash i got out of there asap they did charge a fee of 25 dollars just to get my money back, i,m on Bitconnect lending platform  at the moment  and its going well they are opening an exchange under the same name so looks like they are going to be around for a while to come

Been following this thread with interest and finally decided to give it all a whirl, managed to open a coinbase account easily enough but struggling with GateHub, the verification pin that they email always fails has anyone else had this issue?

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How does gatehub work? 

Gatehub is just a wallet for your crypto-currencies where you can exchange for other currencies. 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Matty or you could just keep dipping in and out with the rise and fall making money as you go. Less chance of losing. 

I do day trade it at times like this but i have kicked myself for it for missing out on larger profits. At the moment i've moved all of my crypto investments into xrp solely. I'm a sucker for high risk / reward.

Crypto currency investments make stocks and shares i own seem boring in comparison, but there the more educated and logical investments!

At one point i owned 25,000 XRP after lumping a bonus in to it, that £5k would now be worth close to £75k and rising.

It was stagnant for what felt like an eternity and then it jumped up and i sold a good chunk of my xrp to take profit at $.7/.8 as i felt it would tumble back down as it did previously when it made such advances up to $.40 and back down to $.20. I managed to buy back in though and sold a big chunk again. 

I've decided now i'm just lumping that profit back in and letting time run its course, i bought back in earlier today, heading in the right direction but no doubt there will be some hiccups and frights along the way.

Wish i'd of left the money in and forgot about it to be honest but i'm too nosey!

Time will tell if i'm a fool or not for being greedy!

4 minutes ago, Deker said:

Been following this thread with interest and finally decided to give it all a whirl, managed to open a coinbase account easily enough but struggling with GateHub, the verification pin that they email always fails has anyone else had this issue?

Are you using a safari browser by any chance? I had the same problem and had to run the website in Chrome to let it work, I always use Gatehub on Chrome now for that reason.

12 minutes ago, Matty89 said:

Are you using a safari browser by any chance? I had the same problem and had to run the website in Chrome to let it work, I always use Gatehub on Chrome now for that reason.

No Chrome, but I can try firefox to see what happens. 

Edit:  Looks like it's been an ongoing problem for a few weeks, would Binance be a decent alternative to use as a wallet and convert to XRP?

Edited by Deker

8 hours ago, Matty89 said:

Its at $3.01now.

Wish I'd bought xrp when I first became aware of it at 0.18 cents.

I bought in at just under a dollar so am sitting on about 1000xrp, who knows how high they'll go? All the information said they might top a dollar in 2018. They're now at $3.12

For those thinking they're difficult to buy. Not at all.

The way I did it was set up gatehub account (wallet), get coinbase account. Buy bitcoin using debit card (on coinbase). Transfer to gatehub and convert to xrp. It was actually quite simple.

Looks like it can be done an even more direct route.

Edited by Muddy Funker

15 hours ago, Deker said:

No Chrome, but I can try firefox to see what happens. 

Edit:  Looks like it's been an ongoing problem for a few weeks, would Binance be a decent alternative to use as a wallet and convert to XRP?

Deker,

Quite a few use Binance however it is an exchange not a wallet as such. You will still need a Coinbase account to buy crypto currency that you can then send to the Binance account (i’d Suggest ethereum).

once transferred to Binance You don’t own that crypto currency anymore it becomes the trading/exchanging balance and the coins of any trades are held by Binance so it is not a wallet just an exchange platform from my current understanding.

As all my crypto got exchanged for xrp I have just set up a binance account myself actually so I can make some daily trades without touching the xrp balance as i’m Interested in dabbling in Tron TRX (not advice or recommendation).

Edited by Matty89

12 hours ago, Muddy Funker said:

Wish I'd bought xrp when I first became aware of it at 0.18 cents.

I bought in at just under a dollar so am sitting on about 1000xrp, who knows how high they'll go? All the information said they might top a dollar in 2018. They're now at $3.12

For those thinking they're difficult to buy. Not at all.

The way I did it was set up gatehub account (wallet), get coinbase account. Buy bitcoin using debit card (on coinbase). Transfer to gatehub and convert to xrp. It was actually quite simple.

Looks like it can be done an even more direct route.

And now $3.75 just keeps obliterating it's key resistances and then breaking out, i'm happy to just hold now. I do wish I just left all of my original investment but it's easy to say that now at the time i was delighted.

XRP seems a favourite at the moment and has sentiment in it's favour over bitcoin currently imo which has been a long time coming as it was dominating the media and growing into the monster. Now XRP is having it's 15mins i just hope it keeps going for as long as possible and with a fair bit of decent news upcoming I can see it breaking 5p in the not too distant future.

Edited by Matty89

40 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Just before I buy into this, just need to check; are any of you shoe shine boys at all?

Always do your own research and a bit of technical analysis to review the share price and be sure you are happy with your entry level. I bought more recently at 2.3p despite wanting to hold for lower levels, but it's paid off.

All i would say is with the recent hike in sp, there could be a slump, there might not be but if there is be sure your ok with that. My investment here is for longer term mainly now and to top up. I could sell now at a nice profit but i want to hold to suit my goals, if the price drops 10-15% or so it doesn't matter. This is just more of a gamble for me.

I've had friends though that rush in bull at a gate, open a position on an exchange with a stupid spread that puts them in the red and panic sell as the price dropps a few ticks as there investing money they can ill afford or can't afford to lose and have no strategy at all.

Always be confident and sure of your own decisions, in a position to stick with it is the only advice i'd give someone, i'd never recommend any share, crypto or investment as it's not my money to play with.

Edited by Matty89

Well deary me.

Bought Tron shortly after this at $0.15 and it's up to $0.20

Nice start to the year 

7 hours ago, Matty89 said:

As all my crypto got exchanged for xrp I have just set up a binance account myself actually so I can make some daily trades without touching the xrp balance as i’m Interested in dabbling in Tron TRX (not advice or recommendation).