Where do i stand - computer repair

Ollieollie

Hello All,

So around a year ago i put a lap top into repair, the keyboard was broken. He said it could be fixed and gave me a price. I said i will try and get a replacement myself and he can fit it, he was happy with that. I searched but couldn't find a new board, then one ting lead to another and the whole thing slipped my mind. At the time i wasn't informed of any company policy or T & C's and i didn't sign anything, he took my details.

I have just got off the phone to him and he said we've probably just thrown it away, he hasn't made any attempt to contact me in the mean time.

So where do i stand if he has got rid of it?? I wouldn't be that bothered but it had lots of family photos on it

Cheers All

Minimum fee for lodging a small claims action via the government's website www.moneyclaimonline.com is £75. ....If you  really think it's worth it.

It's a surprisingly simple process if you follow the instructions, but they do get the chance to defend your claim of course.

I'm not being in the least bit unsympathetic but I don't think its fair to expect a business to retain something you wouldn't stump up the cost of repairing soon after getting the qoute. I think it would be reasonable to assume you are not coming back for it after a few weeks.

How long would you keep what amounts to other peoples junk laying about taking up space in the hope they might come back for it?

12 months in a repair shop because they key board was fluffed, 

The PC was getting on a bit that's why the key board was fluffed.?

It's now obsolete so difficult to replace parts ? 

Not heard from owner for,,, how long ?

I'd have binned it too, old stuff lying around taking up space, what was it a Commodore 64 ???

My local cobbler has a sign saying uncollected or unpaid for repairs will be sold after six weeks, and do sell things usually of decent quality at the same £50-100 value of an obsolete computer. Likewise I have seen similar signs in other cobblers, I assume there is a basis behind choosing six weeks and suspect the lesson here is to keep backups.

That said it is undoubtedly worth going in and grovelling a bit in the hope they can find the thing in some dusty corner.

7 hours ago, Longchalk said:

Minimum fee for lodging a small claims action via the government's website www.moneyclaimonline.com is £75. ....If you  really think it's worth it.

It's a surprisingly simple process if you follow the instructions, but they do get the chance to defend your claim of course.

i paid £25 a couple of years(under £500) ago and if you win you can reclaim the fee

When you left i5 with them and they issued a receipt for it what did the T&C’s say.

For whatever your reason was, a Year is taking the mick for deciding what you wish to do with an item- especially one where you wished to lower any profit from fixing it by providing the part yourself when he had supplied to you a price for supply and fit.

So I think it’s personably reasonably for them to have assumed that you did not wish for the computer back after such a time, and disposed of it.

Why should they spend time and money chasing you to collect it! 

I have 5 guns in storage.

There is a considerable fee outstanding.

I have sent messages to the owner and not had a reply.

I think that a reasonable course is to sell the guns when the cost of storage reaches the value of the guns.

I would say the same for anything left.

Just my opinion and I have no idea what the law would state.

Edd

uncollected_goods_disposal

This seems to explain the situation, though for an item of such low value (a non functional obselete computer) where costs of sale may not be recouped I wonder if the rules functionally differ. 

Did you leave an address? If just a phone number it may be difficult to dispute any claimed attempts to contact you. 

17 hours ago, eddoakley said:

I have 5 guns in storage.

There is a considerable fee outstanding.

I have sent messages to the owner and not had a reply.

I think that a reasonable course is to sell the guns when the cost of storage reaches the value of the guns.

I would say the same for anything left.

Just my opinion and I have no idea what the law would state.

Edd

interference of goods act 1977

you have to send them 2 recorded letters telling them to collect their property

after a reasonable time ( stated in your letters) you can then sell the goods , they still get the money less your expenses , outstanding charges etc.

if they don't claim for  6 years tough !!

Edited by wascal