Amazing Shot with .22lr

Evil Elvis

13 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I was referring  to 1066 s post (they dont number them anymore ?) with this video

Ive done a fair amount of accuracy testing at various ranges myself over the years, as Im sure lots on here have too.

Edit WB123 beat me to it, I must have misheard it, I thought best was about 19 mm, and its 50 m which is 55 yards, but again thats got to double at 100, and at 168 yards with perfect hold, well, its bigger than a rabbits head.

You may be right, I would have to watch it again to check.

Either way the take home message for me, if brutally honest, is that unless you are a vice, shooting in a wind tunnel, with top spec batched kit, aiming for head shots on rabbits at 50m will be outside what I if not most of us can do if we want to stick with the hitting a 30mm target every time as the treshold for humane on live targets. Makes me feel less like a **** shot though, I will stick with aiming for the chest where the bigger target can be more accomodating of the combined limits of my skills and kit.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

Either way the take home message for me, if brutally honest, is that unless you are a vice, shooting in a wind tunnel, with top spec batched kit, aiming for head shots on rabbits at 50m will be outside what I if not most of us can do if we want to stick with the hitting a 30mm target every time as the treshold for humane on live targets. Makes me feel less like a **** shot though, I will stick with aiming for the chest where the bigger target can be more accomodating of the combined limits of my skills and kit.

Exactly.
When it comes down to it, when he took the shot, and again, totally underestimated the range, did he think 'Im going to shoot this rabbit in the head' ?
Or did he think 'Im going to shoot this rabbit somewhere on its body'
One of them is achievable , and one isnt.

I have no idea what he thought, he took a deep breath and took what seemed like an age to take the shot, which If I hadn't mentioned was directly behind the eye and went straight through, not even a twitch! I put my hands up and admit im **** off sticks preferring bipod but this guy has no such issues.

You all know the reality is that many people on here take that kind of shot regularly but cant be bothered with the armchair weapon polishers slagging them off, I would imagine a lot have no idea what ranges they are shooting at and don't care as long as they are being successful and no armchair wannabe shooter is criticising them

4 minutes ago, Evil Elvis said:

You all know the reality is that many people on here take that kind of shot regularly but cant be bothered with the armchair weapon polishers slagging them off, I would imagine a lot have no idea what ranges they are shooting at and don't care as long as they are being successful and no armchair wannabe shooter is criticising them

I take those shots fairly regularly, sometimes I miss sometimes I don't. You can say the same thing about 30 yard shots and those that say different are liars or I suspect more likely haven't even got a gun. :D 

That was the point I was trying to make to Dekers, you can equally mess up a shot at 30 yards as you can 100 yards, I don't really see the difference!!! a rabbit only has to dip iits head to eat and you wont hit the point you were aiming at its not the guns, the ammo the sticks  etc we know modern .22lr when looked after properly are seriously accurate....the common denominator is the person behind the trigger!!! (or not with half the doubters on here!)

You should show your mate this vid @Evil Elvis

My .22 is the same gun, you'd think it was some fancy sniper rifle but it is a CZ Scout 452, basically a kiddies training rifle. Even comes with a single shot mag as it is supposed to be a training gun. Marvelous gun and no surprise to me it will do 500 yards.

But don't forget to respect your quarry. I haven't actually got a quarry so I just have to shoot in my fields instead.

53 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

My .22 is the same gun, you'd think it was some fancy sniper rifle but it is a CZ Scout 452, basically a kiddies training rifle. Even comes with a single shot mag as it is supposed to be a training gun. Marvelous gun and no surprise to me it will do 500 yards.

But don't forget to respect your quarry. I haven't actually got a quarry so I just have to shoot in my fields instead.

what's the size of target??,it's not live quarry so you can play about with it:hmm:

3 hours ago, 39TDS said:

Nice shooting!!!! We all know if you have the kind of brain that can calculate holdover that this is possible Im willing to bet it would still kill a rabbit at that range.

Djmcjerico bet me I couldn't shoot a crow decoy at 200yards Plus basically from hilltop to ploughed field below, no I don't have a holdover calculator in my head but a nice mildot scope on my .22lr and I did it, took 4 shots!!! Obviously a real crow wouldn't sit around that long lol!

All this talk of respecting your prey in this topic rabbit (vermin) reminded me of when I was in Australia, they have a club exclusively for shooting will pigs with .22lr....quite effectively I may add!!!

Edited by Evil Elvis

8 hours ago, Evil Elvis said:

That was the point I was trying to make to Dekers, you can equally mess up a shot at 30 yards as you can 100 yards, I don't really see the difference!!! a rabbit only has to dip iits head to eat and you wont hit the point you were aiming at its not the guns, the ammo the sticks  etc we know modern .22lr when looked after properly are seriously accurate....the common denominator is the person behind the trigger!!! (or not with half the doubters on here!)

More pap, nothing equal about a 30, 100 or 168 yard shot regardless of the fact that we all agree close shots are routinely missed too and there is certainly no comparison between a daylight and nighttime shot either. Off a rested platform I can count on most of my shots landing on the mark at 30 yards, at 168 I can guarantee 90% won't even if my life depended on it - off hand the ratio of hits and misses would be similar - there is nothing equal here. 

2 questions :

Explain to us what you mean by doubters as nobody including myself has doubted the shot took place ! ?

If you assume the range to be 120 yards which then turns out to be 168, that means the shot however immaculately and correctly taken would have gone low therefore a hit would have been fluke, what part of that are you having trouble with ?

:lol::lol:

The target in the above vid looks the size  of a small car. How is that good shooting ? 

You can hear his reload speed .He takes about 1.5 - 2 seconds a shot .so basically he is just popping away at it .

If it was hard he would be taking a lot lit linger with each shot to get his breathing , eye relief  and trigger attack correct .

What a joke .:lol:

51 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

The target in the above vid looks the size  of a small car. How is that good shooting ? 

You can hear his reload speed .He takes about 1.5 - 2 seconds a shot .so basically he is just popping away at it .

If it was hard he would be taking a lot lit linger with each shot to get his breathing , eye relief  and trigger attack correct .

Clearly says the target is 30", so not tiny but hardly the size of a car.

If it is so easy go and post a video of you doing it.

58 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Have to agree, I'd wager hitting a 30" target at 500 yards using HV ammo is easier than hitting the head (not jaw) of a rabbit at 168 with subs. 

I couldn't find the size of the target .

I doubt it's 30 inch tho .

It looks as big as the bushes its next to .

It looks to me about 4 ft across 

But hey if he says its 30 inches and  wants every body to think he is a hero of the internet to win a bet .how can we disprove it ? :yes:

Yeah I can make you a vid of me shooting a 4 inch target with my airgun at 600 yds. 

24 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Clearly says the target is 30", so not tiny but hardly the size of a car.

If it is so easy go and post a video of you doing it.

I quite regularly use my .22LR at 200yards at Bisley, on a still day, right conditions, off the bipod, after sighters, I would expect about 4/10 the shots to be V-Bulls.  The V-Bull is considerably bigger than a rabbit brain!   A hint of wind and I pack up, the shots go everywhere.

That isn't field works!  It is pre-set, exact distance, non moving target, right conditions, with sighters.

People slag off the HMR for being bad in the wind, what people always seem to forget is that the .22LR is WORSE, and the bullet arc is like falling off a cliff!

Evil Elvis, earlier.......      "Djmcjerico bet me I couldn't shoot a crow decoy at 200yards Plus basically from hilltop to ploughed field below, no I don't have a holdover calculator in my head but a nice mildot scope on my .22lr and I did it, took 4 shots!!! Obviously a real crow wouldn't sit around that long lol!"

But its fine and not a problem to lob .22lr at rabbits 168 yards away when you think they are 120!?:hmm:

Edited by Dekers

Don't mean to pick on u EE but I'm more shocked saddened by ur attitude to it.

There is a wealth of people who definitely write as thou they have vast experience and most are saying it's not a very clever or sporting shot to take.

How u can even compare missing a 30m shot to missing 1 at 167m is just silly. While everyone can miss the odd 30m shot if ur missing many u should be checking ur scope or practising more, u could aim perfectly for the 167m shot and just differences in the bullets flight could make the bullet miss never mind human error

Have a read for urself about MOA, if u shot sub MOA groups at 50m u'd be under 1/2" groups, that same sub MOA group at 100m stretches to 1" and at 150m ur 1.5".

And according to those clips its really pretty much impossible to consistently shoot sub MOA groups past 100m, and u really need to be shooting that to make a clean kill

To shoot sub MOA groups outpast100m can take a bit of doing even of a bipod with factory ammo, so when u start allowing for drop and wind drift at 150m soto shoot that of sticks at nite is really an Olympic achiement

18 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Just to put this in perspective 

Lets presume the 500 yds shot was done with hv .22 bullets 

The drop of the bullet from gun would be 500 inches or 13 m approx 

Can scopes cope with a drop like that or do u have to shim them up specially for it.

That's a mental drop,

Just thinking I suppose it's only 100" s at 100m, but still a massive drop (about 9ft)

Edited by scotslad