Grouse Moor lost !

Westley

It would appear that  Bradford Council has refused to renew the Grouse shooting lease on Ilkley Moor after campaigning by the,  'Ban Bloodsports on Ilkley Moor'  group, according to this weeks Shooting Times.  Here is hoping the "leave it to nature"  approach is as successful as that,  already tried by the R.S.P.B.,  on their 'moor'  !    :no:

I posted about this last week, Jeremy Clarkson wrote about it in Saturdays Sun, won't be long till the moor is useless.

Clarkson strikes again, apparently Bradford council have decided to ban grouse shooting on Ilkley Moor, he goes on to say he bought a farm which was nothing but grass, but as he likes a bit of shooting he planted maize, sorghum and mustard to keep his pheasants happy until he shoots and eats them, but also mentions the benefits to other birds he doesn't shoot.
goes on to say Ilkley Moor when grouse shooting is banned it'll be all set up for ramblers, gorse will take over and cost millions of tax payers money to keep things in check.
Clarkson could just be the sort of personality to take on the likes of Chris Packham on social media, and he would likely enjoy it to boot.

23 minutes ago, Westley said:

It would appear that  Bradford Council has refused to renew the Grouse shooting lease on Ilkley Moor after campaigning by the,  'Ban Bloodsports on Ilkley Moor'  group, according to this weeks Shooting Times.  Here is hoping the "leave it to nature"  approach is as successful as that,  already tried by the R.S.P.B.,  on their 'moor'  !    :no:

It depends which spb moor ur on about.

I know I have picked up next to 1 and they don't quite 'leave it to nature' but they would be better off doing that. As they don't burn they cut with a tractor great big long wide strips hundreds of m's long. 

Many of these cuts are parallel to each other an run the right in the direction of the prevailing wind so are as cold and bare as anything with no cover or shelter u'd get from smaller burns with funny shaped edges

Just typical of many conservation bodies, take a good practice and alter it but throu complete lack of understanding make it worse.

While I like Clarkson I wouldn't want the fate of shooting resting at his door, we need every public figure we can but there is better people out there to front any campign, Beefy for example

4 minutes ago, scotslad said:

While I like Clarkson I wouldn't want the fate of shooting resting at his door, we need every public figure we can but there is better people out there to front any campign, Beefy for example

Mr Clarkson would be the ideal person or some of the famous musicians that shoot game. I guess by 'Beefy' you mean Mr Botham, to many of us he is more than a rock star. But the younger have no idea who he is !

On 25/01/2018 at 21:46, AYA117 said:

Mr Clarkson would be the ideal person or some of the famous musicians that shoot game. I guess by 'Beefy' you mean Mr Botham, to many of us he is more than a rock star. But the younger have no idea who he is !

I think celebrity chefs are a way forward too... As they are on tv at the right times to plug what a good food source game is. 

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:46, AYA117 said:

I like Clarkson and find him hilarious, so I get his sense of humour.

But my problem would be if we pushed him forward as a represenative, it would only be a matter off time until he said something controversial or something being took out off context and twisted to be used against us. Or getting into some twitter spat and saying something a wee bit silly. That's sort of his trademark/style

Most of the sort of anti brigade don't get his sense of humour/style

Really we need as many as possible to be speaking up but the problem is the way a tiny minority of them go on abusing and threatening anyone speaking up for shooting, its not a fair or eel discussion 

If this decision proves to be irrevocable, I hope shooting interests will take every opportunity to publicise the inevitable future degradation of the moor and the disappearing wildlife....and keep naming the names of those responsible in local, regional and national newspapers!

On 1/29/2018 at 09:21, panoma1 said:

If this decision proves to be irrevocable, I hope shooting interests will take every opportunity to publicise the inevitable future degradation of the moor and the disappearing wildlife....and keep naming the names of those responsible in local, regional and national newspapers!

:good:

+1

Aye I really hope someone is doing someone wildlife counts  over the next few years, ideally both the GWCT and Rspb, and properly publishes the results.

The problem is now wot shooting tenant would ever think of taking that moor on again?? The rent would have to be very very cheap.

I would imagine it would take it 3-5 years off habitat work and predator control before u could even shoot 1 bird, so big investment upfront with no real guarantee's

• 3 weeks later...

Won’t go into too much detail on public forum ( I can’t anyway but that’s another story ) but my best mates dad used to be keeper on ilkley many moons ago.

they only shot part of the moor and the part adjoining will still be shot ( privately owned ) the management syndicate ran both sides IIRC

the syndicate that ran it need to take a look if Asquith moor could be brought back into action ( spent many Saturdays beating there as a nipper ) 

clarkson verses peckham I’d pay to watch that !

anyway the anti fun police will have us all locked up any time soon !

ATB Agriv8