British passports

scouser

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Sorry Harry I wasn’t directing to only towards you, it’s more of an open question to consider ... 

Ok... which would you rather - the UK govt invest in our own country, communities and economy by handing a contract worth half a billion to a UK company (AFTER we leave the EU and we are free to do so)...

Or let it out world wide, giving another company In another country half a billion £ which we will NEVER see again?

If our UK govt were morally true and had its own countries interest at heart - there would be no questions the money would stay here in the UK, supporting a UK company and feeding UK companies.

But we all know what the Westminster ideology is, and what will happen. Those who 'run' this country, will ruin it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Ok... which would you rather - the UK govt invest in our own country, communities and economy by handing a contract worth half a billion to a UK company (AFTER we leave the EU and we are free to do so)...

Or let it out world wide, giving another company In another country half a billion £ which we will NEVER see again?

If our UK govt were morally true and had its own countries interest at heart - there would be no questions the money would stay here in the UK, supporting a UK company and feeding UK companies.

But we all know what the Westminster ideology is, and what will happen. Those who 'run' this country, will ruin it.

You sound paranoid, you’ll be posting YouTube conspiracy theories next! 

What you should be asking is, why do the UK company want £50,000,000 extra to do the exact same job? 

Whos getting a £50m pocket filler? 

That company is offering to do it for £50m less and they’re still making a profit on it, otherwise they wouldn’t do it would they?! 

The government cant bloody win, other people would be wingeing that they over spent and waste £50m of tax payers money if they’d done diffeeently.

39 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

This, too much money earned in the UK leaves our economy.

33 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

No one obviously,

or maybe the one from the French company was bigger.

Edited by Newbie to this

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I believe the company already are the ones who make our current passport ... 

did you have to do any of that for your current one? 

What kind of cheese does it smell like? 

It smells of Gouda after a recent trip to Amsterdam :hmm: 

42 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What you should be asking is, why do the UK company want £50,000,000 extra to do the exact same job? 

That company is offering to do it for £50m less and they’re still making a profit on it, otherwise they wouldn’t do it would they?! 

The government cant bloody win, other people would be wingeing that they over spent and waste £50m of tax payers money if they’d done diffeeently.

Whinging is a constitutional right of the UK populous though! That's one thing the EU can't take from us! We do it so well, probably the best in Europe :lol: 

It’s ok mate, next week we’ll all be back to normal, driving our German cars to the foreign owned super markets, going home to watch our Japanese TVs, maybe going out shooting our Italian or American Guns, might even have an Indian or a Chinese on the way home ?? 

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s ok mate, next week we’ll all be back to normal, driving our German cars to the foreign owned super markets, going home to watch our Japanese TVs, maybe going out shooting our Italian or American Guns, might even have an Indian or a Chinese on the way home ?? 

Whilst swigging a proper British craft ale! Let's keep a good balance here! 

Just now, Lord Geordie said:

Whilst swigging a proper British craft ale! Let's keep a good balance here! 

More like a European lager ... 

will we be allowed an Irish Guineas after Brexit? Or are the banning the foreign grog in favour of British only ales? 

I wouldn’t mind don’t like the stuff lol 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

So you're a paranoid conspiracy theorist if you question a government contract award now? 

Because they've never done anything underhand before like that have they?  :lol:

How do you know it wasn't done via sealed bids, why not go back to De La Rue and see if they would 'adjust' their price? 

Harry made a valid point, you made a cheap shot. 

5 hours ago, Rewulf said:

So you're a paranoid conspiracy theorist if you question a government contract award now? 

Because they've never done anything underhand before like that have they?  :lol:

How do you know it wasn't done via sealed bids, why not go back to De La Rue and see if they would 'adjust' their price? 

Harry made a valid point, you made a cheap shot. 

He claimed;

“ but we all know what the Westminster ideology is...those who ‘run’ this couldn’t will ruin it” 

Do we really? What exactly is their ideology? 

He’s making out as if there is some backroom agenda, where the Government meets every week with the sole intention of weakening or destroying our country. 

Where is any evidence for this?

It’s absolute rubbish, and it’s the same rhetoric that Labour supporters spout when they say the conservatives are the “nasty party”, as if Theresa May and her cabinet meet every week and say to each other ‘right ... what can we take away from the poor and disabled?’  

6 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

He claimed;

“ but we all know what the Westminster ideology is...those who ‘run’ this couldn’t will ruin it” 

Do we really? What exactly is their ideology? 

He’s making out as if there is some backroom agenda, where the Government meets every week with the sole intention of weakening or destroying our country

Where is any evidence for this?

It’s absolute rubbish, and it’s the same rhetoric that Labour supporters spout when they say the conservatives are the “nasty party”, as if Theresa May and her cabinet meet every week and say to each other ‘right ... what can we take away from the poor and disabled?’  

I'm sorry, but that's not how it came across to me at all. 

The 'ideology' part to me simply meant, that they will not always act in the best interests of the people who voted them in, and pay their wages. But will always act in the best interests of themselves. 

How you got a conspiracy out that simple fact I don't know. 

28 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I'm sorry, but that's not how it came across to me at all. 

The 'ideology' part to me simply meant, that they will not always act in the best interests of the people who voted them in, and pay their wages. But will always act in the best interests of themselves. 

How you got a conspiracy out that simple fact I don't know. 

So it’s in the tax payers interests to pay a company an extra £50m over a much cheaper quote, from a company who makes passports for over 40 other countries? 

In what way is it in their personal interests to decide to go with the (significantly) cheaper quote? 

So it’s in the tax payers interests to pay a company an extra £50m over a much cheaper quote, from a company who makes passports for over 40 other countries? 

In what way is it in their personal interests to decide to go with the (significantly) cheaper quote? 

Absolutely, It's in the tax payers interest. 

500 million stays in the UK economy, rather than going into someone else's.

Then there's the tax payed by the company and it's employees. And then the employees spend their wages in the UK (at least some of it), so more money in TAX.

I'd say that 50 million would far be surpassed by what would go back in TAX and spending in the UK.

Edited by Newbie to this

He explained why he thought it was better, as in the money going to a UK firm, who has been doing it for years, so that the money goes back into the UK economy, preserves UK jobs ect. 

You may not agree with his logic, but to read something different into what he said, then ridicule him,  was low. 

3 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Then there's the tax payed by the company and it's employees. And then the employees spend their wages in the UK (at least some of it), so more money in TAX.

I'd say that 50 million would far be surpassed by what would go back in TAX and spending in the UK.

Spending British money in Britain? 

Sounds like a conspiracy :lol:

24 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

He explained why he thought it was better, as in the money going to a UK firm, who has been doing it for years, so that the money goes back into the UK economy, preserves UK jobs ect. 

You may not agree with his logic, but to read something different into what he said, then ridicule him,  was low. 

Spending British money in Britain? 

Sounds like a conspiracy :lol:

When people here start practicing what they preach perhaps then we can consider it on a wider scale ... 

55 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

When people here start practicing what they preach perhaps then we can consider it on a wider scale ... 

You consider what you like, but I was joking, you were insulting.

It doesnt detract from the fact a half billion quid contract has gone out to a foreign firm ,when it could have been spent here.
Next thing De la Rue will be laying staff off, where is the logic in that ?

On 3/24/2018 at 10:32, krugerandsmith said:

So if Russia had undercut the French/Dutch would you agree to that?

Sorry a bit late to the party on this one but most local governments (and private firms) already do buy from Russia in the way of Kaspersky anti-virus and Veeam backup tools, a couple of areas with VERY sensitive information.

I saw on the news Sunday morning a bit in the House of Lords and they wouldn't let it go about the foreign company producing our new passports. The political BBC person said this wont end here. 

Wonder if they can muster some questions to be raised and looked at more, i think it should be a British outfit that makes them like the Passport Office at Gateshead that makes them currently according to the news program.

I don't see why it had to out to tender as we have a place making them surely a its just a continuation of work. 

Whats going to happen if you find you have lost your passport just before going away and need to go to the passport office to get a new one that day, your not going to be able to go to France to get one.

30 minutes ago, Deker said:

Sorry a bit late to the party on this one but most local governments (and private firms) already do buy from Russia in the way of Kaspersky anti-virus and Veeam backup tools, a couple of areas with VERY sensitive information.

Im pretty sure the contract is only to make the passport blanks anyway, all the information is put on afterwards in the UK.

Thats why I questioned the cost, but if its over 10 years ,its about £10 per passport, which seems more reasonable.

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You consider what you like, but I was joking, you were insulting.

It doesnt detract from the fact a half billion quid contract has gone out to a foreign firm ,when it could have been spent here.
Next thing De la Rue will be laying staff off, where is the logic in that ?

If you say so. 

Big contracts going to foreign firms isn’t anything new and it’ll probably continue long after Brexit so long as they can undercut UK businesses to such an extent. 

5 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

:good:

On 26/03/2018 at 13:53, figgy said:

I don't see why it had to out to tender as we have a place making them surely a its just a continuation of work. 

As far as I'm aware, due to EU membership, the contract must be awarded to the lowest bid, so I guess we have no choice, the fact that other EU coutries governments illegally prop up some of their industries makes it all the worse as we seem to always play by the rules while UK industries fold.

On 26/03/2018 at 13:53, figgy said:

Whats going to happen if you find you have lost your passport just before going away and need to go to the passport office to get a new one that day, your not going to be able to go to France to get one.

I do hope this is a joke and your not being serious- if so, god help us all.

Do you honestly not know how a Production and supply chain works- currently when you request a Passport they don’t go “oh, mr Smith needs a passport so let’s get Yodel to deliver one from Gateshead”

The production may well be in France/Netherlands or even produced here- just because it’s an overseas Corporation doesn’t mean to say all production takes place there- anyway, there will of course be stockpiles of Documents at each of the UK Passport offices. 

Sorry, just realised it’s nearly April fools day and so you must have posted early