Norfolk County Council Charging For D I Y Rubbish

marsh man

6 hours ago, Wb123 said:

It's all well and good saying we already pay once in council tax, but given the huge effective cuts in income for councils we should all be able to appreciate that either they will have to reduce services and/or charge for some things that are currently 'included' that can't be withdrawn.

Alternatively ......... the list of all the folk at our local council earning 50grand a year plus filled a centre page spread of our local newspaper. Already heard on here of bin men getting pay cuts - ***??? They should be given a decent pay rise considering the work they do. We are no longer supposed to tip them at Christmas for turning up pretty much always reliably to get rid of our rubbish? A rule thought up by folk earning 50k a year plus - that is democratic then! Plenty of savings that could be made amoung the bloated ranks of the chiefs to keep services running if there was the will .....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Without Chiefs, the Indians will only run round in circles......

A stream doesn’t exist without water...

Shall I go on :-).   ( well it is early )

From my own observation and experience the quality of local government management is generally abysmal, and frankly few of them would survive working in an organisation that had to make a profit.  

Every ‘Reservation’ has more Chiefs or ‘chiefs in waiting’ than necc.

Its how Big Chief directs the others asvtoo how successful the Reservation is.

Amateur— you forget, before this current incarnation of ‘Chief’ I worked in Local Government Finance within the Health Service so I can attest to your observation in part

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Council's have always been a cushy little number, that is beyond dispute in my opinion. 

I often wonder if anyone on the council retire at the normal retirement age without getting a golden handshake or being made redundant with only one year left to work .

Three people I know never worked till they were 65 , one worked for Norfolk C C and he was offered a settlement to finish when he had two years left to do , the package he was offered came to more than two years wages and an increase in his pension , so he finished two years early for more money than if he had said no and carried on working .

Another one I know worked for Yarmouth C C , he was offered redundancy with a lump sum when he had less than a year to work , he recon , it was like winning the lottery .

Then the last one was my brother , he done his back in while on the dust carts in his 40s , to begin with , he got full pay for the first six months and then when he was accessed they told him he would no longer be suitable for the work he was employed to do , as he had been there for more than 20 years he could finish on full pension and other bits and pieces which was the same or a bit more money than if he was still working , he is now well into his seventies , as fit as a fiddle and now been retired longer than he worked :yes:

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

I often wonder if anyone on the council retire at the normal retirement age without getting a golden handshake or being made redundant with only one year left to work .

Three people I know never worked till they were 65 , one worked for Norfolk C C and he was offered a settlement to finish when he had two years left to do , the package he was offered came to more than two years wages and an increase in his pension , so he finished two years early for more money than if he had said no and carried on working .

Another one I know worked for Yarmouth C C , he was offered redundancy with a lump sum when he had less than a year to work , he recon , it was like winning the lottery .

Then the last one was my brother , he done his back in while on the dust carts in his 40s , to begin with , he got full pay for the first six months and then when he was accessed they told him he would no longer be suitable for the work he was employed to do , as he had been there for more than 20 years he could finish on full pension and other bits and pieces which was the same or a bit more money than if he was still working , he is now well into his seventies , as fit as a fiddle and now been retired longer than he worked

A very good friend of mine worked for the council in quite a senior position, he and his colleagues had a sickness rota. When we were planning to go somewhere to shoot or fish he often said " I can go in a couple of weeks time because I am off sick that week".

Even when he was working he was always 'out of the office at the moment' if you ever phoned up for him. He retired in his 50s with a golden handshake and an 'enhanced' pension, what ever that means.

went down to the dump today, a few piles of rubbish were strewn across some of the layby areas, also had a little run in with one of the site operatives for putting 3 bits of timber in the wood skip, nothing much not even a bucket full, he still wanted to charge me though. seems like they're taking this seriously.

A majority of the upper management in local government are underachieving, overpromoted "yes men" who have gotten to an elevated position, not by talent, but by sucking up to their former (retired early on a big pension) superior. When it's their turn to top the pile, they, like their former bosses, surround themselves with compliant, subservient "yes men" who offer them no threat! Because they are frightened to promote anyone who may challenge or expose them!......they do this until it is their turn to retire, early on a fat pension! This is the neverending cycle! Promotion by patronage and favouritism! Ever was it so!.........And as they are in control, ever will it be thus!

That is why the management of local government services will never be anywhere near as good as in the private sector............the front line staff just want to be appreciated, paid the rate for the job and managed properly, they are the proverbial lions......led by donkeys!

Generalisations are never good but....in this case I make an exception!

For political correctness for "men" please read "persons" lol!

6 hours ago, panoma1 said:

A majority of the upper management in local government are underachieving, overpromoted "yes men" who have gotten to an elevated position, not by talent, but by sucking up to their former (retired early on a big pension) superior. When it's their turn to top the pile, they, like their former bosses, surround themselves with compliant, subservient "yes men" who offer them no threat! Because they are frightened to promote anyone who may challenge or expose them!......they do this until it is their turn to retire, early on a fat pension! This is the neverending cycle! Promotion by patronage and favouritism! Ever was it so!.........And as they are in control, ever will it be thus!

That is why the management of local government services will never be anywhere near as good as in the private sector............the front line staff just want to be appreciated, paid the rate for the job and managed properly, they are the proverbial lions......led by donkeys!

Generalisations are never good but....in this case I make an exception!

For political correctness for "men" please read "persons" lol!

That is probably the most accurate post that I've ever seen written on pw ?.