Side by Side Club

AYA117

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon all. Love seeing all the side by sides in this thread. It's taken me 15 years to buy my first and I picked up this AYA hammer after seeing it in a local gunsmiths 'gentlemans corner'. It's 3" chambered and been well looked after.  I've no idea what model it is so if anyone knows please say. The pics are prior to me cleaning it up thoroughly and I've managed to get rid of the unsightly wood oil stains on the action.  I've taken it on some smaller driven days this season and have had some fun on the clays with it. Shoots like a dream and I've come to the conclusion a side by side is just a more.... elegant thing.   

20211016_200316.jpg

VideoCapture_20220221-221624.jpg

VideoCapture_20220221-221630.jpg

VideoCapture_20220221-221634.jpg

20211016_200330.jpg

20211016_200456.jpg

20211016_200322.jpg

Edited by The_Engineer

9 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think it is a model known as a 220.  There was also a 110 I think and I'm not sure of the differences between them.

I thought it was a 210

Great find, been on the look out for one for years, if you ever want to move it on drop me a line

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

This http://www.shotguns.se/html/pre_diarm.html

suggests a 220, but that is all I'm going on.

Hi, that certainly looks similar. Thank you for the information. It makes me think that you would struggle to beat some of the side by sides on offer for value for money.  This is my first side by side and I'm really getting on with it, to the point I'm wondering if it might be time to change my 725 for something more sleek...  Maybe after I've saved up 😃

4 hours ago, button said:

I thought it was a 210

Great find, been on the look out for one for years, if you ever want to move it on drop me a line

Hi Button, I've messaged you. I will call the gun room tomorrow as he has a corner of his safe room crammed with less fashionable (to the current market) guns like the hammer gun, so you never know. I will report back if he has anything similar.

19 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I took a side by side out in the field for the first time this year. Had some lovely partridge with it, a couple of good high pheasant and even a duck. Not bad for something choked 7/40ths and 15/40ths. 

Photos by Jordan Brooking 

FB_IMG_1645783438693.jpg

FB_IMG_1645783431157.jpg

Well done. Can we count you as another convert then?

I have always used nothing but SxS. I don’t know why people are so surprised when lightly choked barrels kill game, it is what they were built for. I have eight of them and only one barrel at 15 thou of choke. Nothing else has more than 10 thou. Choke is a handicap for game shooting. It lengthens your range (a little) but it lightens your bag (a lot).

Edited by London Best

12 minutes ago, London Best said:

Well done. Can we count you as another convert then?

I have always used nothing but SxS. I don’t know why people are so surprised when lightly choked barrels kill game, it is what they were built for. I have eight of them and only one barrel at 15 thou of choke. Nothing else has more than 10 thou. Choke is a handicap for game shooting. It lengthens your range (a little) but it lightens your bag (a lot).

For game, yes! Certainly for partridges and reasonable pheasant. It's going to be even better when I take out my George Bate which is actually fitted to me and I'll be able to shoot the ones going perfectly overhead instead of wasting perfect birds shooting down the side of them. Yes, I took the wrong gun and shot at the posh shoot with a Baikal. 

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Here`s mine, but in my favourite 16 bore.

Lovely little gun which I shoot as well as I`m ever likely to and it`ll see me out.

OB

IMG_1359.JPG

That is pretty. 

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The Bate is a little beauty!

Thanks to Uncle TC and his contacts! A Wabbitbosher special.  Such a shame I took the Baikal by mistake that day 🤭

1 hour ago, AYA117 said:

Great to see this thread is still alive, sidexside is the way to go 

And it’s all thanks to you AYA117 starting it nearly four years ago. We’ve been lucky to see some lovely side by sides over those years and hopefully more still to come.

OB

11 hours ago, Weihrauch17 said:

The Hammer AYA looks like a Live Pigeon Gun with it's stock and rib.  I have a hammerless Boswell Pigeon Gun made in 1906 IIRC, what a work of art it is.

Aya making it as a live Pigeon style would certainly explain the wide rib, stock and 3" chambers on mine. I cant imagine there are many Boswell's left in good condition. Have you shared any pictures on this thread of it? Would love to see it.

Edited by The_Engineer