The longest 10 minute job ever.

walshie

'Er indoors has a twin oven range style thingy. The element in one of the ovens packed up, so I googled it and it seemed a fairly easy job to change it. 3 screws and 3 electrical connections.

Wrong!

Instead of the screws being on the inside, it has bolts that go through the back of the oven with nuts on the back. Still not too taxing I thought. Having disconnected the gas hobs, we attempted to pull the cooker out. Nope. The worktop has been built round it, tight up to it. OK. I'll just take that bit of worktop off to access it. No. No access to the screws holding it down without taking the drawers out. No. The drawers don't pull out, they need to be disconnected from the runners. 

After an hour or so tussling with it, we got the cooker out. Were the bolts on the back? No. The whole back of the cooker had to come off. Got all the screws out except one which wouldn't budge. Mole grips and a lot of swearing and it was off. 2 of the 3 bolts holding the element in came out ok, but one snapped. Grrrr.

Changing the actual element took about 30 seconds, then the reverse faff to get everything back together.

Changed the flexi gas pipe and the electrical connection and my little job was done. IN SIX HOURS!!! Don't get me started about refitting the oven door. 

Moral of the story is there are no fairly easy jobs in the kitchen. Avoid at all costs. 

Edited by walshie

i can relate to that...............:lol:....sounds like real life to me................

thats why there is so much fiction on TV..........imajine 12 episodes of Eastenders....wiv rikay an' sanjay...changin da element om da oven babe...............leave it aut darlin...cor blimby wheres me 'ammer babe....im shattered babe ...up the apple an' pears doll...........................

think not.........

13 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

She'll want a new one now. Not only will it be old (any appliance over a year old is "old" to the female brain) but now it is unreliable. Cunningly it will be phrased as saving you future trouble.

Good idea. Should only take 10 minutes to take the old one out and put the new one in.....

10 hours ago, walshie said:

At one stage, I was seriously going to shoot it with my shotgun. 

that is funny .....we have all felt like that at one time.............the inanimate stuff we have threatened to kill with a shotgun........

cooker murderer..............:lol:

13 hours ago, walshie said:

'Er indoors has a twin oven range style thingy.

You don't know how lucky you are.

My " 'er indoors" thinks the black thing in the kitchen with the circle "thingies" on the top is just a large coffee timer.

She has never used any of it's other functions. 

I had one of those quick jobs yesterday, a bunch of chewed wires in the back of the misses van.

Simple enough solder back together, oh now, 1 plug was nearly trashed that that had to be rebuilt, then he'd eaten all the trailer wiring so I had to figure all that one with a wiring diagram! 5 hours later it was done

I’m in the middle of a quick job right now! Low spot in the field that fills with water every winter. ‘It won’t take long to stick some drainage pipe in there’. Started digging and found an old oak tree, well it’s roots, fortunately I had demanded a 5 ton digger not the 1 tonner that ‘would surely do the job’. Main trench dug, found the cause of the wet spot ? blind panic of Mrs BTJ because ‘now surely the hole will fill up with water!!!’ Panic not wife it will find it’s own level and it did with a small puddle in the bottom of the hole, carry on and 3 out of the 4 side trenches went in no problem, two scoops into trench 4 and crunch, someone has buried a load of rubble or rubbish or something hard that came up in 4ft chunks and ruined my tidy lines! Fortunately she’s ******** off for macdonalds- for them I’m doing light racing one day this week so I’m on rations - and in the time they’ve gone I’ve filled up the holes with stone and I’m about to put the pipe in and hopefully have it back filled before they return. I love a won’t take long job ?

How would anyone price such a job as that! There is no such thing as a 10 minute job, especially when it is someone ELSE, telling YOU how long it will take. The worst sort of clients are those who say ‘ it should only take you an hour or so’ or ‘ you’ll have it done in less than a week’ as they show you round their property, describing everything they want doing. I lose interest immediately. ?