Best semi auto

Oldgun

one of the most reliable.............is an Beretta A303.................either 26" (like hens teeth) or 28" multi choke..............

a bit long in the tooth now ...almost a "classic gun" now......some of the new guns are awsome...but a used 303 in good nick is still a good buy..

I have a mint condition 303 with 28" m/c barrel, it gets an occasional airing on clays and the odd bit of pigeon shooting. I cover the woodwork with neoprene sleeves for pigeon shooting, to keep it looking like new. A Beretta gel pad off a field model gun, screws straight onto the 303 sporter.

40 minutes ago, Westley said:

I have owned most makes apart from any of the 'Turkish' brands and have to say that the 303 is the quickest and easiest to clean. Mine will cycle down to 24 grams, except Hull Comp X and never lets me down.

thats EXCACTLY the same for me...........the hull comp X always get stuck halfway out..........apart from that i9 am pushed to remember the last time i had a foul ejection...............maybe 6-7 years ago on billy bellys skeet emporium at gapton

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

thats EXCACTLY the same for me...........the hull comp X always get stuck halfway out..........apart from that i9 am pushed to remember the last time i had a foul ejection...............maybe 6-7 years ago on billy bellys skeet emporium at gapton

I stuck some of my missus comp x once and it didn't even consider ejecting it 😂 normally use 26g hyper velocity but any 24g goes through fine. 

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I stuck some of my missus comp x once and it didn't even consider ejecting it 😂 normally use 26g hyper velocity but any 24g goes through fine. 

i was quite surprised that they wouldnt eject properly....as i had used them in the sxs aqnd they felt quite "pokey"....all the other stuff 24 and 26gm...no problem......

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

i was quite surprised that they wouldnt eject properly....as i had used them in the sxs aqnd they felt quite "pokey"....all the other stuff 24 and 26gm...no problem......

Only 65mm cases on them tho, think that's what done it. 

Up until about 2 weeks ago I was using a ATA 30" sporter for clays and being so heavy I found there was minimal kick on anything under say 32g.

Was using the hyperfast with half choke last time I took the A303 out sporting and managed to smoke a fair few, never done it with the o/u. 

Case length is often a problem with ejection because a 65mm cartridge generally produces less pressure and a gas operated semi needs higher pressure to work.  The reason for 65 mm cartridges producing less pressure is they are manufactured to typically be used in older  guns with 65mm chambers which are commonly lightweight side by sides.

2 hours ago, sportsbob said:

Case length is often a problem with ejection because a 65mm cartridge generally produces less pressure and a gas operated semi needs higher pressure to work.  The reason for 65 mm cartridges producing less pressure is they are manufactured to typically be used in older  guns with 65mm chambers which are commonly lightweight side by sides.

To be honest I buy them for the missus because her franchi is pretty light and as she only shoots clays 21g is more than enough, just thought I put one in to see if it would cycle. 

When I'm shooting o/u I've got no problem with them or fiocchi tt1 21g, both good carts. 

10 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Only 65mm cases on them tho, think that's what done it. 

Up until about 2 weeks ago I was using a ATA 30" sporter for clays and being so heavy I found there was minimal kick on anything under say 32g.

Was using the hyperfast with half choke last time I took the A303 out sporting and managed to smoke a fair few, never done it with the o/u. 

Stick 1/4 choke in and break a few more   !   :whistling:

27 minutes ago, Westley said:

When I use mine for clays, I do not attempt to collect my empties from outside the cage, BUT I try to make amends by picking up all of the O/U and S x S users empties, from INSIDE the cage  !

Yep that bugs me too. 

Funny how people can hit that small disc flying through the air but are unable to eject two cartridges into that *****y great bin!