Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The forms are for the individual licenses.

There are to be new replacement "General Licenses" issued.  These do not require individual registration.  The first of these (carrion crows harming livestock) was issued last night.  More are expected in the coming days - and it remains to be seen what they cover. 

It seems likely that they will cover most if not all of the circumstances allowed under the old licenses, but have more detailed and onerous wording so that (we hope) they will not be open to challenge in court in the same way that led to the cancelling of the old licenses.  I did post a link yesterday evening to the BASC ( https://basc.org.uk/ne/ )list of what is expected initially.

NE are currently re-issueing the general licences with more indepth wording to make them legally watertight. The first one has allready been released to cover crows damaging farm stock. It's a general licence like last time. You do not have to apply for it. Just follow it's conditions like we all did with the last licence, yes?!

Further general licences are being  issued in the coming days to cover most uses. Crop protection etc etc. There's no information to state they won't cover us all as well.

NE prioritised stock protection. Flora and Fauna is next followed by crop protection.

Its all there in black and white if you bother to look. Individual licence applications are largely a waste of time now.

I'm a professional gamekeeper and see it as part of my job to know what laws I work under but I have to say the ignorance and hysteria shown on this board regarding our laws is breathtaking.

20 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

i printed off some yesterday, and it was 6/6 of formes.

Fair enough. I haven’t looked, I was simply going by another NGO email I received this morning...and that just applied to corvids! 

Will post it up if I can, but all I seem to be able to link to is the relevant UK GOV website they’ve linked to. 

1 minute ago, mossy835 said:

i wont fill any in yet, wait and see the new ones coming out monday, going to farms today and get grid refs,

The ones thar will ve bought out Monday wont need forms filled in by look of it, just wont know if they're going to be a y good for what we have been able to do for years. 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

Fair enough. I haven’t looked, I was simply going by another NGO email I received this morning...and that just applied to corvids! 

Will post it up if I can, but all I seem to be able to link to is the relevant UK GOV website they’ve linked to. 

If you mean GL26? Then yes that is purely Carrion Crow, specifically for livestock protection. Then they will release more on Monday.. Will get my reading head on.. 

16 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

NE are currently re-issueing the general licences with more indepth wording to make them legally watertight. The first one has allready been released to cover crows damaging farm stock. It's a general licence like last time. You do not have to apply for it. Just follow it's conditions like we all did with the last licence, yes?!

Further general licences are being  issued in the coming days to cover most uses. Crop protection etc etc. There's no information to state they won't cover us all as well.

NE prioritised stock protection. Flora and Fauna is next followed by crop protection.

Its all there in black and white if you bother to look. Individual licence applications are largely a waste of time now.

I'm a professional gamekeeper and see it as part of my job to know what laws I work under but I have to say the ignorance and hysteria shown on this board regarding our laws is breathtaking.

Indeed. Some tend not to read and understand but go on assumption or what the bloke in the last post or down the pub says.

We all have a duty to know and understand the facts.

I predict mass hysteria when all the licences are issued due to the many conditions they contain when in reality 99% of them were in the old licences but no one bothered to read them!

Applying for an individual licence could potentially put your details in the hands of anti's via a Freedom of Information request.

People are receiving emails from the association's at different times. Some of which may be out of date. Tens of thousands of emails can't be sent at once or they'd be blocked as spam. Hence them being sent out over time. 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

How many times do you see posts on here culling geese and using a rifle 

Or branchers 

or someone shooting rabbits that takes a corvid that’s landed to eat it 

Have I misunderstood your post then? 

When you said "Few use a semi auto rifle for pest control." I took that to mean that not many people use a semi auto rifle for pest control.

Did you mean " a few use a semi auto."

as in there are people that do it. 

In which case I agree. 

2 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

I predict mass hysteria when all the licences are issued due to the many conditions they contain when in reality 99% of them were in the old licences but no one bothered to read them!

Applying for an individual licence could potentially put your details in the hands of anti's via a Freedom of Information request.

People are receiving emails from the association's at different times. Some of which may be out of date. Tens of thousands of emails can't be sent at once or they'd be blocked as spam. Hence them being sent out over time. 

You are correct in your first point. One thing that this has highlighted is the general and unfathomable ignorance of what the old General Licences actually did or stated. 

Your personal details should never be given out in an FOI. That would be redacted. 

Edited by ClemFandango

Watch the shooting channels when decoying over stubble. At some point they will refer to a nearby crop which is being hammered. There's a reason they do that.

2 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

Have I misunderstood your post then? 

When you said "Few use a semi auto rifle for pest control." I took that to mean that not many people use a semi auto rifle for pest control.

Did you mean " a few use a semi auto."

as in there are people that do it. 

In which case I agree. 

You are correct in your first point. One thing that this has highlighted is the general and unfathomable ignorance of what the old General Licences actually did or stated. 

Your personal details should never be given out in an FOI. That would be redacted. 

"Should" this is NE we are dealing with! We have been advised by our agent not to take that risk.

22 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

Watch the shooting channels when decoying over stubble. At some point they will refer to a nearby crop which is being hammered. There's a reason they do that.

"Should" this is NE we are dealing with! We have been advised by our agent not to take that risk.

Fair point. 

1 hour ago, White Rabbit said:

Finally a sensible voice.

Well done sir.

31 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

A very salient point. By rights it should not but given the level of incompetence at NE anything is possible.

Of course the implication of giving out certain information will be lost on many or simply lost in the weight of posts appearing all over the place at the moment - especially social media.

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

Can't link to NGO email but this is the link they sent me: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/carrion-crows-licence-to-kill-or-take-them-gl26

Reading the small print in the licence I can see the possibility of a lot more people being challenged about their actions, if the one for crop protection is worded the same it will be unworkable for most.

26 minutes ago, old'un said:

Reading the small print in the licence I can see the possibility of a lot more people being challenged about their actions, if the one for crop protection is worded the same it will be unworkable for most.

As it suggests, shooters would be well served by taking as many notes as possible regarding all relevant info', even though they are not expected to keep records for NE. 

But again, it's all open to interpretation. For instance, 'scaring' off, as in physically moving so as to be seen, is at odds with us being camouflaged and remaining still and unseen to the moment of shooting! None of us can deny that too much movement in a hide can deters birds....see what I'm getting at? The whole point of decoying is to remain undetected. 

Saying that, I can't recall ever being challenged by a copper as to what I'm doing, let alone a NE representative. 

32 minutes ago, old'un said:

The level of risk of being challenged will be no higher than before. The police and NE certainly don't have the time or inclination to police a general licence used by hundreds of thousands of people.

I see it as just a case of being aware of the law you're working under and what requirements you're meant to fufill.

Backside covering in other words.