Changes To The General Licence

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, B725 said:

How will keeping a log work? You can sit on the sofa and do it, I don't see how anyone can prove you haven't tried non lethal ways 

Exactly you could stay at home and make this up , But if the farmer has put gas guns out And Bangers in 45 gallon drums,  which may or may not be possible depending on circumstance.  The evidence will still be on the field 

16 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

well let basc come on and say so or are we not wothy

I'll ask again. Does that sound right to you? A goverment agency leaves itself open to prosecution because BASC won't do their job for them? Why didn't NE let it go to court and use that as their defence then?

I suppose bashing our associations is cheaper than paying their subscription.

BASC currently has better things to do than defend itself. I'm sad to hear from the NGO that they are also receiving abuse from members due to their lack of a crystal ball!

Whats the point of scaring away birds from your land ? 

To push them onto your neighbours land? Ok and when he scares them off where do they go ?. 

Eventually they will be hungry enough to either ignore  the scaring or they will find a food scource where they arent scared ie .bins ? School playgrounds (harrasing children for snacks (like seaguls at the beach ) 

The population will explode _ and due to the omnivorous nature of corvids (and pigeon to a lesser degree ) they will adapt and become a real pest .think Alfred Hitchcock the birds. 

A sensible solution is a leathal one taken over many years and keeping the populations at sensible levels (ie as it always has been .) 

Scaring away ,is just pushing the problem to someone else or till later on .

1 minute ago, White Rabbit said:

I'll ask again. Does that sound right to you? A goverment agency leaves itself open to prosecution because BASC won't do their job for them? Why didn't NE let it go to court and use that as their defence then?

BASC currently has better things to do than defend itself. I'm sad to hear from the NGO that they are also receiving abuse from members due to their lack of a crystal ball!

wats more important than this??.. and who are mr white rabbit an employee

4 hours ago, Miserableolgit said:

A very salient point. By rights it should not but given the level of incompetence at NE anything is possible.

Of course the implication of giving out certain information will be lost on many or simply lost in the weight of posts appearing all over the place at the moment - especially social media.

Does my memory serve, the Met Police recently sent out details of hundreds of Fire arm licence holders to the company selling Smartwater as an aid to increase security?

On 26/04/2019 at 08:58, The gouse said:

So I’ve brill my mazie in on Monday and I know when the shoots come through the crows will be all over it.

If I put a couple of scarecrows out and use a gas gun to no avail. Reading below I can still shoot them if I email NE and explain what I’ve done to stop them to no avail I can still shoot them legally till the license comes through.??? Is this correct.F0467B91-0814-4459-962B-4F6DB4DA37DE.png.5c4c12cafa8565bd88fa74d8d043128f.png

My understanding of that would be yes you can.

1 hour ago, silver fox 1 said:

You’re right of course but there must be some photographic evidence of stuff like this going on somewhere with all the mobile phones and cameras about nowadays that’s the sort of thing we need to prove our point 

Something like this.............................

6 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

wats more important than this??.. and who are mr white rabbit an employee

I'm afraid I'm struggling to understand your posts. No offence intended.

BASC have better things to do than defending themselves against people who should be supporting them. Now is not the time. They're busy defending your sport and my livelihood.

Yes that’ll do it , I didn’t bother looking at the video the first time it was posted was too interested in reading what  what is going on ,It’s a shame we have to justify her actions by posting stuff like this but it’s what the   Antis do  maybe we should start taking a leaf out of their book 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

And nothing saying that you have to do it more than once. Having tried it many years ago and found it ineffective I moved onto the beretta. 

Albert Einstein said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

If a scarecrow or gas gun don’t work one week, they won’t the next.

36 minutes ago, White Rabbit said:

+1

Just now, twenty said:

Nothing in the New GL26 mentions protection of ground nesting, or song birds from Carrion Crows, or have I missed something.

The way they seem to be organising these is by both target species (e.g. Carrion Crow) - and also by reason for control (e.g. harm to livestock, harm to crops, harm to conservation, harm to Health and Safety).  I assume and hope that the licences relating to protection to 'conservation' for Carrion Crow will follow.  It is understandable that livestock came first as it is a high priority.

19 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The way they seem to be organising these is by both target species (e.g. Carrion Crow) - and also by reason for control (e.g. harm to livestock, harm to crops, harm to conservation, harm to Health and Safety).  I assume and hope that the licences relating to protection to 'conservation' for Carrion Crow will follow.  It is understandable that livestock came first as it is a high priority.

Fair comment, but there was surely room on GL26 to add songbird and ground nesters, they are in breeding mode now, and carrions in my area have been sitting for weeks, their youngsters will be fed eggs and chicks of the unfortunate unprotected.

Edited by twenty
spelling

Ok here is my take on the situation and my approach to the wording in the licence for crows, I would image the one for pigeons will be worded similar.This letter will be prewritten as I will apply the same tactic on most fields and farm yards.

The field.

I have placed canes with bags attached on the field, I have walked them off a few times and let a few shots off but they keep returning, in compliance with the licence I have satisfied myself that the only course of action will be to shoot the birds.

The farm yard.

the farmer as tried a number of scare tactics and covered the animal feed with polythene sheet, but the birds keep returning and are now pecking through the sheet, I have put some canes around the feed storage barn but they are making very little difference, the birds do fly off when someone is in the yard but it is impractical to have someone there all the time, after consultation with the farmer, I/we have decided that in compliance with the licence I/we are satisfied that the only course of action will be to shoot the birds.

I am no legal wizard so if anyone with a legal back ground can see holes in my plan please feel free to correct my idea.