Is correct spelling not taught anymore ?

Old Boggy

Now I know that incorrect spelling and punctuation is quite acceptable and can be quite amusing on this forum, but I've just received an email from Confused.com , who I would have thought would get it right, asking -:

"Is saftey techonology in cars becoming more of a hinderance these days ?"

Surely if they cannot employ people literate in the Queen's English, there are such things as 'spell checks' that are simple enough to use. 

Rant over :mad:, time for breakfast.

OB the old pedant.

Edited by Old Boggy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Now I know that correct spelling and punctuation is quite acceptable and can be quite amusing on this forum, but I've just received an email from Confused.com , who I would have thought would get it right, asking -:

Surely if they cannot employ people literate in the Queens English, there are such things as 'spell checks' that are simple enough to use. 

Rant over , time for breakfast.

OB the old pedant.

+1 For this, puncuation too! also missuse of "decimation!"Historic Roman punishment, death of 1 in 10.

Edited by guzzicat

4 minutes ago, guzzicat said:

+1 For this, puncuation too! also missuse of "decimation!"Historic Roman puishment, death of 1 in 10.

Thanks Guzzicat, you've just proved my point, but as said, acceptable on PW :yahoo:

OB

PS. Quick, go back and edit your post before anyone else notices. :whistling:

Edited by Old Boggy

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

:oops:

I did say acceptable and amusing on here :good:

Your posts Ditchy, are written in Norfolkstanie and are therefore perfectly acceptable if not somewhat incoherent after 2/3 of a bottle of the red stuff.

Edited by Old Boggy

14 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Now I know that correct spelling and punctuation is quite acceptable and can be quite amusing on this forum, but I've just received an email from Confused.com , who I would have thought would get it right, asking -:

Surely if they cannot employ people literate in the Queens English, there are such things as 'spell checks' that are simple enough to use. 

Rant over :mad:, time for breakfast.

OB the old pedant.

Do you mean incorrect spelling?

7 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

You got me there Scully. Well and truly hoist by my own petard ???

Corrected now, I hope.

😂 I almost spelled it with two n’s. 

I don’t mind incorrect spelling it’s punctuation which can make a sentence hard to read 🙂

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

I don’t mind incorrect spelling it’s punctuation which can make a sentence hard to read 🙂

I agree. There was one post on here of a report of a day in the field with the most interesting content,  but quite difficult to fully understand without reading through a couple of times. Worth it in the end though.

The other problem of course is predictive text on phones, which can sometimes make for interesting reading.

6 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

My phone makes me sound like a retard some times as it changes words.  

You and me both.

Life wouldn't be the same if you couldn't look forward to the next delicious howler, last night I saw phenomenal spelt for nominal (complete with a space). It's amusing because you never know if the gaffe was intentional or whether they can't spell or weather they simply write things as they here them. I could of died laughing. 

6 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Life wouldn't be the same if you couldn't look forward to the next delicious howler, last night I saw phenomenal spelt for nominal (complete with a space). It's amusing because you never know if the gaffe was intentional or whether they can't spell or weather they simply write things as they here them. I could of died laughing. 

I'm sure that your sentence -:

'can't spell or weather they simply write things as they here them. I could of died laughing'  

was intentional to prove a point of illiteracy. :whistling:

OB

16 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I'm sure that your sentence -:

'can't spell or weather they simply write things as they here them. I could of died laughing'  

was intentional to prove a point of illiteracy. :whistling:

OB

Could of been, their is know way to no for sure. 

Spell checkers are usually American English, some words still get mangled.

Phones predictive text can produce some howlers, my phone does so on a regular basis.

One of the best check programs I have used checks your spelling and grammar on your computer. Offering alternative words and phrasing. 

Experts are predicting a change to English as we know it due to the rise in text speach and using more phonetic spelling, so phone will be fone as it is in Scandinavia etc. Our written language has always been fluid.

So long as I can read a post I try not to let it bother me or to comment. When it's a howler from a meber you know can write, it's fun to point it out. Laziness in writing posts gets tiresome.

O know weer turning into milenyals

Edited by figgy

4 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I did say acceptable and amusing on here :good:

Your posts Ditchy, are written in Norfolkstanie and are therefore perfectly acceptable if not somewhat incoherent after 2/3 of a bottle of the red stuff.

Norfolk folk are bilingual as we speak the queens English and broad Norfolk and old dialect that goes back hundreds of years .

harnset

Sulphur has now changed to sulfur!.......it's a slippery slope, I tell you, a slippery slope

the continuous use of "of" instead of "have" really boils my urine

cannot post a link to this so I have screen shot' it.....this the first of 4 pages  I will put the rest on if anyone is interested?

it shows how complex the English language is and why it makes us superior😂

IMG_4582.PNG.7cc77f175ecd13607a4649a02b765673.PNG