Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 06/02/2020 at 03:54, Retsdon said:

<snipped>

It's remarkable though, the huge explosion of what could be called Chinese 'internationalism' that's occurred over the last 10 years or so. A couple of examples.

The other, for me anyway, startling example was when I went back to South Africa a couple of years ago. I was trout fishing in the Cape Winelands and we stopped in Rawsonville, one of those sleepy little Afrikaaner town/villages. Well, not so Afrikaaner these days. Every shop there is now owned and run by Chinese immigrants (from Yunnan, the woman at the general store told me). And according to the mate I was with, that's pretty much the case all the way through the western province and South Africa in general....

We live in interesting times.

My wife was in Nairobi summer 2018 and there was a lot of evidence of Chinese money flooding into the area, mainly improving infrastructure, by displacing the poorest, and I would guess they will follow it up with other industries or outlets for their products

11 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Foreigners aren't allowed to own land in Thailand and I think it's a very good rule.

hello, would that include a business as when i was there quite a few years ago a lot of Bars were owned by foreigners, i met a chap from Essex with a hotel, then i heard the Thai government clamped down on this, 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, would that include a business as when i was there quite a few years ago a lot of Bars were owned by foreigners, i met a chap from Essex with a hotel, then i heard the Thai government clamped down on this, 

You can own a business, but you can't own the land it's on. Also, a business that's incorporated in Thailand must have 51% Thai ownership. Foreign companies can apply for a dispensation to operate in the country, but that's really only open to the big multinationals.  So your bar 'owner' will legally own less than 50% of his business and his bar will be in leasehold or rented property.

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

You can own a business, but you can't own the land it's on. Also, a business that's incorporated in Thailand must have 51% Thai ownership. Foreign companies can apply for a dispensation to operate in the country, but that's really only open to the big multinationals.  So your bar 'owner' will legally own less than 50% of his business and his bar will be in leasehold or rented property.

hello, thanks for reply, i know that many foreign nationals and English owners ended selling up, last time i was there in Southern Thailand there were more Russians and 100s of Chinese tourist, i expect that has most stopped due to this Virus affecting China and other countries

The Russians are taking over many of the 'tourist' areas in Thailand....not good!

Anyway, I got sidetracked there!  The latest news on the virus is that 5 million residents of Wuhan left the City BEFORE the Government clamped down on travel, etc. I've just watched a couple of vids...like I do...and one, at least, was rather disturbing, to say the least....although I mentioned something relating to a part of this, in an earlier part of this thread. Here's the titles of the vids....I can't figure out the links!  1)  Mark Collett, Eat the bat soup, Bigot.   2) Rev. Simon Sideways, The truth about the Corona virus.  

In the local Thai takeaway tonight, the owner had two vids (youtube?) on his phone (from China) which showed 1) a man dipping baby rats in a sauce, then eating them, alive!  and 2) a man literally ripping a large, live toad apart then eating part of its intestines. If this is normal behaviour for Chinese people, then no wonder there's a problem with hygiene, never mind viruses!  

Having said that, anyone here think that it could be a man made virus?  Maybe the US wants to control the Chinese...or at least test their new virus on them!  Just look at the wider picture.  This pandemic (if it really is one) could literally wipe out the Chinese economy in weeks!  As crazy as it sounds...and I sound...the takeaway owner said that many Chinese takeaway shops (in this town) are well down on business in the past few weeks. Are people paranoid?  Look at that on an international scale with many countries being wary regarding Chinese food and it will obviously have a detrimental effect on them.  Thank God I've got game in the freezer....and I know what it is, where it's from  and how it was dispatched!  

hello, i am still waiting for emails from Chinese companies Doolin Dalton, just get set reply still on holiday, even Chinese sellers on Ebay, not heard that is going on in the vale with chinese food outlets but it looks a real nightmare for those in China, just hope there can be a vaccine soon,

Rather than watching videos I believe a little critical thinking is required.

If eating toads and rats alive was commonplace would there be videos of it happening? 

A man made virus from the US (or any other country) would be the best way to start the third world war and no one wants that.

Where do you think our many and varied virus laden waste water goes?

🤦‍♂️

A thought occurred re the illegal channel hoppers. Apart from France no one knows where they come from until they are landed here, and then they don't usually tell what country they are from. Nor are we told if they are being quarantined as a matter of course. 

Given that there (usually) is a proportion of these people from the far east is there not a real risk with this situation. 

Has it even crossed the minds of the authorities, even those capable of joined up thinking.

On 23/01/2020 at 13:35, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Hadn't heard about the Snake idea before.

No doubt this news will sound the unnecessary demise of 1000's of harmless (and not so harmless) snakes. 

On 06/02/2020 at 16:23, grrclark said:

0.0003% of Chinese population affected by a respiratory condition that has one fifth of the mortality rate of the flu, yet strikes panic and fear.

Would you be thinkingly cautious of an indigenous Brit in hospital who is far more likely to have the flu that is 5 times more likely to kill you?

Your reaction, and WesternSalop’s, highlights just how influenced and conditioned we are to media hype and how we may initially fail to apply any sort of critical thinking to the message that we are given.  It is a mass hysteria really.

Not having a go, just using the example to highlight how absurd our thought process is at times.

My firm has sent out comms to all of the occupiers of the building we manage and there was a panic on last week to get hand sanitisers to all sites. Crazy!!

7 hours ago, henry d said:

And THIS might lead to even less pangolins...

Quite so Henry, as if these creatures weren't under enough pressure already.

edit to add.....No one knows how the virus was passed, people especially the so called experts and of course the less well informed.

Straws and grasping springs to mind.

Edited by Sha Bu Le
add further comment

Currently Infected
Mild Condition
(81% of currently infected)
Serious or Critical
(19% of currently infected)
Cases with Outcome
Recovered/Discharged
(80% of cases with outcome)
Deaths
(20% of cases with outcome)

I don't know why the media keeps repeating the notion that this virus has a 2-3% mortality rate. The figures so far would suggest that it's far more dangerous than that!

17 hours ago, henry d said:

And THIS might lead to even less pangolins...

Not sure about that. There's a massive trade smuggling pangolins into China for the exotic meat market. If they're deemed to be dangerous to eat, perhaps that might dampen demand and price and reduce the trade?

On 11/02/2020 at 05:20, Retsdon said:
Currently Infected
Mild Condition
(81% of currently infected)
Serious or Critical
(19% of currently infected)
Cases with Outcome
Recovered/Discharged
(80% of cases with outcome)
Deaths
(20% of cases with outcome)

I don't know why the media keeps repeating the notion that this virus has a 2-3% mortality rate. The figures so far would suggest that it's far more dangerous than that!

According to those figures they are correct at 2-3% mortality.

1018/38040 * 100 = 2.6% mortality rate

27 minutes ago, stumpy69 said:

Bearing in mind it is likely that many many minor cases won't even be reported - that actual mortality is probably lower; some 'authorities' are suggesting that as few as 10% of cases may be being reported as many people get only a minor illness.

1 hour ago, stumpy69 said:

While the number of cases  increasing daily it's impossible to calculate the mortality rate simply by looking at the total number of cases v the deaths. Rather, look at the resolved cases - ie those who have either got better or died. So  - 1018/5061*100 = 20%

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Edited by Retsdon

16 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

While the number of cases  increasing daily it's impossible to calculate the mortality rate simply by looking at the total number of cases v the deaths. Rather, look at the resolved cases - ie those who have either got better or died. So  - 1018/5061*100 = 20%

But from what I heard on a radio interview this morning, there are a great many (in China particularly) who haven't attended medical facilities (or possibly who haven't been able to due to attendance pressure) who have got better 'unrecorded'.  It was said that many people experience only 'mild flu' symptoms, or possibly only a cold type symptoms.  The majority who have needed to get medical attention either have underlying health conditions, or have been unlucky and have got a bad case.

The so called 'super spreader' here had a mild case, and has now left medical care by agreement - fit and well and no longer an infection risk - despite sadly having passed it on to possibly 11 people in the UK and Europe.

Edited by JohnfromUK

There have been 9 confirmed cases to date in the UK (apparently).  8 have now been discharged, and (as of tonight) one remains in hospital.  As yet no one has died.  All the first batch of evacuees have been released from quarantine with no positive test results.  To date there are no cases in the second batch of evacuees.

One has died in France, a man (tourist from China) who was aged 80.

I cannot obviously say where the truth lies in China, but currently in Europe, this has yet to have any serious consequences.