Lead ban & BASC

Clangerman. I see you have borrowed some steel shot cartridges and subsequently bought some !

Has the irony of this escaped you ? 

You have been leaping up and down lambasting BASC over the phasing out over the next 5 years of single use plastics and lead shot, calling for heads to roll and refusing to pay your subs etc. Yet here we are only a matter of weeks down stream and you have borrowed and bought some steel shot cartridges. You are one of the first I have seen on this forum who has wholeheartedly taken on board the phasing out process. Good for you, evidently the scales have been lifted from your eyes and you are in agreement with the press release by BASC. Most people seem to be sitting back, continuing to use lead and watching with interest what developes.

I bought a 1000 paper cased, fibre wad  game cartridges last summer and have only used a 100 or so. So will have to continue to use these up for a while yet before splashing out on steel. However, with at least 5 years to go before the chance of any goverment legislation I should have fired them off by then.

As you an early convert to steel for pigeon shooting, we await your conclusions as to its effectiveness with interest.

Edited by JJsDad

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Has the irony of your comment escaped you ? 

You have been leaping up and down lambasting BASC over the phasing out over the next 5 years of single use plastics and lead shot, calling for heads to roll and refusing to pay your subs etc. Yet here we are only a matter of weeks down stream and you have borrowed and bought some steel shot cartridges. You are one of the first I have seen on this forum who has wholeheartedly taken on board the phasing out process. Good for you, evidently the scales have been lifted from your eyes and you are in agreement with the press release by BASC. Most people seem to be sitting back, continuing to use lead and watching with interest what developes.

I bought a 1000 paper cased, fibre wad  game cartridges last summer and have only used a 100 or so. So will have to continue to use these up for a while yet before splashing out on steel. However, with at least 5 years to go before the chance of any goverment legislation I should have fired them off by then.

As you an early convert to steel for pigeon shooting, we await your conclusions as to its effectiveness with interest.

Don’t think it was ‘scully’ that posted the comment to which you responded above JJsDad? It was clangerman!

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Don’t think it was ‘scully’ that posted the comment to which you responded above JJsDad? 

Thanks panoma; you are perfectly correct. Scully copied the sentence and I in turn copied from him.

Scully, apologies. My post incorrecty named you. The quote should have been attributed to Clangerman.

11 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

I fail to see why some seem to be so driven to hold on to Lead. If BASC could not defend it last year, despite a sterling effort. events in Europe now ECHA are generating more problems. The Proposed move away from Lead, is a a shrewd move on the ORGS part IMO..

because they dont reload,

BASC have said one reason for no lead was because of the sale of game to the EU,have you recently heard any others calling for the forthcoming ban on lead or just the shooting orgs??

4 hours ago, David BASC said:

There are already a wide range of cartridges available in non lead in 12 and 20 bore

There are not, just look a Just Cartridges, two in 20 bores, and possibly only 5 or 6 that I can use in my 12 bores once I’ve spent several thousandshaving them made suitable for lead and only two I think with fibre wads in 12 and NONE in 20 not vast I think you’ll agree 

2 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

because they dont reload,

BASC have said one reason for no lead was because of the sale of game to the EU,have you recently heard any others calling for the forthcoming ban on lead or just the shooting orgs??

There is a lot going on in europe . Time will tell how it unfolds. But re reloading. its not essential. Plenty of factory ammo more than capable, even crappy super steel gets it done. Ok we got a wad issue , but anyone can comply with at least the non lead aspect right here and now. Fulfil the full criteria when they want to or when fibre wad steel becomes more available. 

Criticism of non lead shot just does not stack up.

11 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

. Plenty of factory ammo more than capable, even crappy super steel gets it done. Ok we got a wad issue , but anyone can comply with at least the non lead aspect right here and now. Fulfil the full criteria when they want to or when fibre wad steel becomes more available. 

That’s a **** poor argument.

Most decent game shoots ban plastic wads, and most folks get the reason why.

Your suggestion removes a perceived issue and replaces it with a tangible one.

3 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Clangerman. I see you have borrowed some steel shot cartridges and subsequently bought some !

Has the irony of this escaped you ? 

i’m not using it by choice this has been forced on me by basc making us jump before we are pushed that’s one of the reasons I don’t like them stick to affecting your members sport not mine thankfully took lead this morning much happier using it but the steel switch is on so not for long unfortunately 

9 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

11 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I understand where your coming from, but that’s my attitude to it at this stage.

If you have livestock around etc ok use lead most will be doing until fibre steel shows up. Shooting star are suposed to be getting some Jokers in this next week he told my mate other day. This virus might steady things i supose but hey ho.

Fact is right now in areas they can practically use plaswdsds, suitable capable loads for pigeon and game do exist.

But if needing fibre just keep going with lead.

33 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

There is a lot going on in europe . Time will tell how it unfolds. But re reloading. its not essential. Plenty of factory ammo more than capable, even crappy super steel gets it done. Ok we got a wad issue , but anyone can comply with at least the non lead aspect right here and now. Fulfil the full criteria when they want to or when fibre wad steel becomes more available. 

how can they be "crappy" and get the job done, it's one or the other???

On 17/03/2020 at 08:15, GingerCat said:

I've yet to see a single advert from any organisation promoting game meat outside of a shooting mag or internet page dedicated to shooters. Not one. Ever. Same goes for the benefits of game management for conservation. 

It's always preaching to the choir. 

Given the current potential food crisis, would it not be a good time to explain how such things as pigeon/rabbit shooting provided a healthy, free range alternative to farmed meats that benefit the environment? 

A celeb chef or 2 cooking it on tv? 

Perhaps help to game shoots so that the meat is introduced into the food chain at an affordable price and increase the wider public appreciation of it outside of the odd butcher or country restaurant. And not just a glossy ad in a basc magazine that does little. 

BASC should be promoting game meat far more than they do. It should be part of most families' diets. 

Just now, andrewluke said:

how can they be "crappy" and get the job done, it's one or the other???

Compared to others they are crapy but they work well and you can get them almost anywhere and why i suggest them so often .

I dont like hamebore ammo. but i will say this. the Mamoth and rhino steel shot loads in 3 unch 3.5 inch and ten bore work well enough, many use them and are completely sattisfied with them. Who am i to disagree. I would go for RC atomic or NSI before i would byt a mamoth 3 inch oe 32 gram sypper steel . but YOMV.

31 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Lancer does tend to look at this from a purely wildfowling/reloading angle, only.

2 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Compared to others they are crapy but they work well and you can get them almost anywhere and why i suggest them so often .

I dont like hamebore ammo. but i will say this. the Mamoth and rhino steel shot loads in 3 unch 3.5 inch and ten bore work well enough, many use them and are completely sattisfied with them. Who am i to disagree. I would go for RC atomic or NSI before i would byt a mamoth 3 inch oe 32 gram sypper steel . but YOMV.

what you say doesn't make sense,either they do the job or they dont,what are the "others"?

these are your opinions not facts when you say these are better than those etc!

13 minutes ago, motty said:

BASC should be promoting game meat far more than they do. It should be part of most families' diets. 

i dont eat game because i dont like the taste but what i shoot i give away and most of the time i end up having to gut/clean the game,the people(sister in law mainly) i give it to think they are Lords/Ladies/posh when it comes to bbq's because they can give food which their friends cant get hold of(as it's food for upper class only😁)

Just now, motty said:

You are deluded!

thank you rather you went with mistaken but let’s hope i’m correct so we at least end up with some form of sport 

1 minute ago, andrewluke said:

i dont eat game because i dont like the taste but what i shoot i give away and most of the time i end up having to gut/clean the game,the people(sister in law mainly) i give it to think they are Lords/Ladies/posh when it comes to bbq's because they can give food which their friends cant get hold of(as it's food for upper class only😁)

i can’t give the stuff away the entire local estate know it’s theirs for the asking they won’t touch it

30 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

these are your opinions not facts when you say these are better than those etc!

They are facts all right, go buy a box of hull steel 32 or lyalvale hunting steel 32 them compare them to the afore said  super steels 32s , then report back and tell us. that the super steels did not perform better.:lol: All will work up to a point, but overall I would have my money on the super steels. But your right its my opinion, and you probably wont want to agree with that anyway.

Edited by lancer425

Neither of the main anti lead protagonists has commented on my last post. Now, I have to admit that for the passed 16 months or so I have been somewhat distracted for a couple of reasons. I was up there with the "no science, no change" state of play, but could then later see and appreciate the ECHA/ game export situation. However, what have I missed since then that a proven update in the science that has meant that there is now evidence which reflects that in the UK there is an absolute need to prohibit (I know there's not at the moment but we can be certain that what we do have will be a precursor to such) the use of lead shot totally across the board. I shoot only vermin on land where there is no standing or flowing water, there are no migratory bird species and nothing I shoot goes into the human food chain market place. What/where is the science that now renders the use of NTS in these circumstances essential? An answer to either of these points from those mentioned at the start would be greatly appreciated. I don't believe for one minute that I'm the only guy who shoots what and on a similar location to that as I've described so a valid answer would help greatly in our understanding of the need to change.

One term which I can't use here has been part of my life for 30 years in HMFs so I recognise it when I hear it and therefore, 'flannel' is not acceptable as a valid answer.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

i’m not using it by choice this has been forced on me by basc making us jump before we are pushed that’s one of the reasons I don’t like them stick to affecting your members sport not mine thankfully took lead this morning much happier using it but the steel switch is on so not for long unfortunately 

But you DID use it by choice!!