Panic buying

The Heron

6 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

My Mum's a retired medical secretary.  She worked at Kettering General Hospital for many years, still has plenty of friends working there and thus gets a bit of of inside info coming out of there.  At the moment they've managed to completely clear out an entire surgical ward - the best, most modern equipped one in the hospital - and it's sitting waiting for the onslaught.  It'll basically be the main ITU when shizzle really goes down, meaning instead of 8 or 10 ITU beds they'll probably have upwards of 80.  There's been a massive drive to put in place the staff to service it all as well.

So it's best not to give too much notice to the doom-mongering about our collective ITU capacity in the NHS throughout the country - it's a certainty that all other hospitals have been doing the same.

Interestingly, reports are that A&E has been like a ghost town in the last week or two - it's almost as if most people who go there can really do without it if they are forced to really think about it!!  I'd love to think that's because they re being considerate and not wanting to overload the NHS in its hour of greatest need, but it's probably a completely selfish decision because they don't want to risk catching the virus by going to hospital.  If only it would always be like that.

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

My Mrs. mentioned something about this, where are all the idiots that are normally blocking A&E? Same with the Dr. Surgeries. 

Strange how they are apparently more scared of crowds than their imaginary or unnecessary ailments.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, well well well did not take long for this large company cashing in by raising the prices of sports equipment that people use indoors, yes it Sports Direct, what a greedy man that Mike Ashley is, 🤬

Possibly against the law, trading standards worth a call?

hello, well well well did not take long for this large company cashing in by raising the prices of sports equipment that people use indoors, yes it Sports Direct, what a greedy man that Mike Ashley is, 🤬

Not just Sport Direct. Tesco were doing it as well claiming that 'promotions' were coming to an end. 

40 minutes ago, AVB said:

Not just Sport Direct. Tesco were doing it as well claiming that 'promotions' were coming to an end. 

As are Morrison’s. Shopping yesterday I noticed that some items we bought last week were now double the price.  No need to discount at the moment! 

There has just been a nationwide stunt pulled on anyone selling lambs at market, and effectively taken a third off the price. The Govt are now letting the supermarkets talk to each other they are working together, they don't have to bid against each other, bet the shop price won't change, probably will go up!

hello, yes PW members they are all now ripping off customers and many who do not have any financial back up, and prices will not come down after this difficult time for the UK 

You got the same half empty glass as Retsdon?  Whether or not supermarkets are indulging in price gouging just now or not will become clear soon enough and there will be payback i'm sure as the market for groceries is hugely mobile.

15 minutes ago, grrclark said:

You got the same half empty glass as Retsdon?  Whether or not supermarkets are indulging in price gouging just now or not will become clear soon enough and there will be payback i'm sure as the market for groceries is hugely mobile.

hello, can you be more specific, it is not as you say whether they are, they are ripping off those who can at least afford it, and i am more than happy to be of the same as Retsdon, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Not defending the supermarket or shops

but we should consider the additional cost of supply chains bio security store safety and movement protocols that they have to put in place 

and should be grateful there able to supply us at the moment the staff are taking a very high risk being there at this moment in time remember it’s not the staff’s fault 

additional profits will show up in the end of year accounts 

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, can you be more specific, it is not as you say whether they are, they are ripping off those who can at least afford it, and i am more than happy to be of the same as Retsdon, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hello, more specific about what?

There may or may not be sharp practice in supermarkets to profiteer, i'm not so naive as to imagine that some wont want to try to take advantage, but the multi-buy and special promotions will re-appear again.

I think you sold yourself short on the exclamation marks too, I would have went for at least another 12 to really show your indignation.

17 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

but we should consider the additional cost of supply chains bio security store safety and movement protocols that they have to put in place 

and should be grateful there able to supply us at the moment the staff are taking a very high risk being there at this moment in time remember it’s not the staff’s fault 

Agreed..Time to start rationing, place an order wait in the car-park until its dropped off. pay on-line get what your given !

This morning I went to Morrisons in Peterborough, security guard on the door allowing people in gradually, an area to disinfect you and your trolley handle.

A very relaxed sensible approach. Still though the thick people asking if they have to queue?

Muppets, one stupid bloke said "Oh I'll go somewhere else then"!

GOODBYE!

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

This morning I went to Morrisons in Peterborough, security guard on the door allowing people in gradually, an area to disinfect you and your trolley handle.

A very relaxed sensible approach. Still though the thick people asking if they have to queue?

Muppets, one stupid bloke said "Oh I'll go somewhere else then"!

GOODBYE!

Same at local Waitrose. Short queue. I was with wife but they are only letting one of us in which is a result as I can sit in car. I hope they haven’t run out of quails eggs and quinoa. 

Oh and they also allow NHS staff to go to the front of the queue which is sensible. 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Well said O F. Lets just get thro this and do what we can!    NB

I have not been near a shop for about three weeks, I think the five of us can spin it out ok until about end of next week. but will practically need to go get some from somewhere by then.

Now in your opinions is it better to go in to shop at 24 hour stores and early morning 1 2 3 4am etc or does it make no difference. is it rammed anyway.? .

Most places are now opening 08:00 till 20:00 and are setting aside hours for OAPs or Health Workers and Security Guards are being placed at front doors to ensure people play fair!

Check each shops website as they are listing their hours and happily accept that there are limits on what they will let you have.

3 hours ago, AVB said:

Same at local Waitrose. Short queue. I was with wife but they are only letting one of us in which is a result as I can sit in car. I hope they haven’t run out of quails eggs and quinoa. 

Oh and they also allow NHS staff to go to the front of the queue which is sensible. 

You missed a trick there!

You could have both gone in separately!!!!!!:w00t:

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Most places are now opening 08:00 till 20:00 and are setting aside hours for OAPs or Health Workers and Security Guards are being placed at front doors to ensure people play fair!

Check each shops website as they are listing their hours and happily accept that there are limits on what they will let you have.

Cheers i will take a look. Not wanting lots will buy a bag of potatoes and couple of trays of eggs from farm up lane, but i really need to go into a supermarket at some point. Is home deliverey working or is it months away before you can expect it.?

7 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Now in your opinions is it better to go in to shop at 24 hour stores and early morning 1 2 3 4am etc or does it make no difference. is it rammed anyway.

We don't have any 24 hours near - but I went to our local (Morrisons) on Tuesday.  It opened 07:00 - 08:00 for NHS staff etc, then at 08:00 to the public.  I was there soon after 08:00.  No rush, queue etc.  Most things in stock (that I looked for anyway) except not much fresh meat, plenty sausages and bacon, and limited choice of breads and baked things.  Fruit and Veg was pretty much complete, plenty cheeses, cold meats, some tinned goods (didn't look what as I didn't want any, but Heinz beans were there).  Dairy OK for milk and butter, but limited choice of bottle sizes.  Eggs in stock (they are hard to get in places I hear).  Frozen seemed to have most things, but limited choice of 'brands'.

My understanding from local Facebook pages is that the stock is also generally good in Aldi and Tesco.  I believe all are limiting you on quantity, but not sure as I only wanted one of each of most things.

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Cheers i will take a look. Not wanting lots will buy a bag of potatoes and couple of trays of eggs from farm up lane, but i really need to go into a supermarket at some point. Is home deliverey working or is it months away before you can expect it.?

Home delivery appears to be booked up for approximately a month so can you wait?

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

We don't have any 24 hours near - but I went to our local (Morrisons) on Tuesday.  It opened 07:00 - 08:00 for NHS staff etc, then at 08:00 to the public.  I was there soon after 08:00.  No rush, queue etc.  Most things in stock (that I looked for anyway) except not much fresh meat, plenty sausages and bacon, and limited choice of breads and baked things.  Fruit and Veg was pretty much complete, plenty cheeses, cold meats, some tinned goods (didn't look what as I didn't want any, but Heinz beans were there).  Dairy OK for milk and butter, but limited choice of bottle sizes.  Eggs in stock (they are hard to get in places I hear).  Frozen seemed to have most things, but limited choice of 'brands'.

My understanding from local Facebook pages is that the stock is also generally good in Aldi and Tesco.  I believe all are limiting you on quantity, but not sure as I only wanted one of each of most things.

Thanks for that.

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Home delivery appears to be booked up for approximately a month so can you wait?

Probably but think we would be pretty much done by then and then struggle if it really clamped down. I an reluctant to shop at all but thats just a risk i have to take.