Deaths

bwana

Just now, Yellow Bear said:

The groups (some as many as 20+) are a regular thing. mostly in the summer months and not just at weekends either, so I don't fancy a wrecked car or other vandalism by doing what you suggest.  The last local that did suffered for it in damage and intimidation.  It is the groups attitude that creates the "widespread and blanket vilification of cyclists",  when you have lost 40 min behind a group on Beeley hill whilst dodging the " imbecile on 8kg of plastic" coming down the hill again at 30+ mph on a bendy road with inadequate brakes you would be hard pressed not to have the same view.

I can't see how a phone call to the club secretary would result in any kind of comeback but if you PM me with club names then I'll get my club secretary (me) to try and contact the clubs to highlight that they are causing problems both now and in the future.

Sounds like your experience is in the extreme but the flip side is that some motorists exhibit behaviour suggesting they'd rather have the cyclist die than delay their journey by 30 seconds. Neither position is acceptable. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I can't see how a phone call to the club secretary would result in any kind of comeback but if you PM me with club names then I'll get my club secretary (me) to try and contact the clubs to highlight that they are causing problems both now and in the future.

Sounds like your experience is in the extreme but the flip side is that some motorists exhibit behaviour suggesting they'd rather have the cyclist die than delay their journey by 30 seconds. Neither position is acceptable. 

Initially thanks for the offer if the "uniform sports a name I will do so, unfortunately all too often is doesn't just "colourways".

Whilst I agree about some motorists and it is not acceptable however, Extreme on the cycle front is normal most times here about unfortunately, as we have the "eroica" event on our doorstep and fall into at least 2 of the routes, and have had both TdF and ToB. Plus have 2 noted "climbs" it means that we are over run with "Wanabes".

14 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

With regard to deaths my 42 year old cousin who died was asthmatic, COVID-19 has been given as cause of death as she was suffering with symptoms in the days before her death. However her body has not been tested and there apparently will not be a test.

Sad to hear that.

my sister in law works for the Ambulance service and they did a dance video clip yesterday, trying  to have some fun, then later that night a paramedic they know died, no previous medical problems, its really hit them for six.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

From LBC's Facebook page.

The number of people who have died from coronavirus in each country - updated with the new UK figures including care homes.

Not consistent though. In Spain and Italy it is up to the local regions to decide whether to report care home deaths.  

There is absolutely no point comparing deaths between countries unless you are interested in "reported deaths per country" and accept it's just a number that can't be directly correlated to anything other than a general trend for that country.

I've stopped looking at the numbers apart from those relating to my local NHS trust hospitals, direct from a relative who works there. I'm not leaving the area the trust covers so figure it's the only data set directly relevant to me right now. Along with that and the BBC page on confirmed cases per area there's really not much else to analyse on any kind of objective basis.

One of the interesting, for me at least, stats in the guidelines released yesterday was that 2020 year to date deaths are 37,151 higher than the average over the same period between 2015 & 2019. On the basis of ~50k deaths per month on average that only about a 20% increase from "normal".

If we extrapolate that out linearly to year end on the basis of same average we're looking at ~120k deaths due to COVID for 2020. Obviously this is a very simplistic projection and subject to no vaccine or credible treatment being available in the meantime.

Today's figures: care home deaths make up 40% hospitals 54%

So, stay well away from hospitals and care homes.

And let’s not forget that a care home is by default going to be ‘the final bus stop’.

And now the government has extended furlough - we are sooooo economically screwed.

Boy I now can’t wait for Brexit - I can at least buy my next house for 40% of current market prices, the problem is that by then I’ll be living under some railway arches 😆

BB7980A0-6FE2-4780-8583-C001A0C1104C.png

Edited by Mungler

3 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Today's figures: care home deaths make up 40% hospitals 54%

So, stay well away from hospitals and care homes.

BB7980A0-6FE2-4780-8583-C001A0C1104C.png

Care home = old and infirm, hospital = ill

I definitely intend to stay away if at all possible. 

39 minutes ago, Mungler said:

And now the government has extended furlough - we are sooooo economically screwed.

I don't understand that, if they want people to go back to work that isn't going to do it, if it's just to help those with kids at schools or for people who are classed as vulnerable that would make sense, but surely those in their 20-50s should be going back to work?

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I don't understand that, if they want people to go back to work that isn't going to do it, if it's just to help those with kids at schools or for people who are classed as vulnerable that would make sense, but surely those in their 20-50s should be going back to work?

I don't get it either. I read that bosses are struggling to persuade their staff to come back. 

8 minutes ago, AVB said:

I don't get it either. I read that bosses are struggling to persuade their staff to come back. 

I know some lads have said they are happy sitting at home on 80% and why wouldn't they be.

I can understand if your older, health problems or have kids to look after and the schools are shut, otherwise get back to it.

I doubt being told you can roam free is going to get people back in work quicker though.

20200511_213818.jpg.a470ccbb75646006a953361f8d2e34d7.jpg

I posted this elsewhere yesterday,  the odds seem very small your going to catch it if your under 50

Just now, Mice! said:

I know some lads have said they are happy sitting at home on 80% and why wouldn't they be.

I can understand if your older, health problems or have kids to look after and the schools are shut, otherwise get back to it.

I doubt being told you can roam free is going to get people back in work quicker though.

20200511_213818.jpg.a470ccbb75646006a953361f8d2e34d7.jpg

I posted this elsewhere yesterday,  the odds seem very small your going to catch it if your under 50

I posted earlier about 2 teachers who want time off on full pay until we have a vaccine.

I appreciate why some are reluctant to go back to work, but just where do they think the money is coming from and how long can it last. If it carries on for many more weeks / months, many will have no job to go back to. The economy will be totally screwed.

Those who are reluctant to return until we have a vaccine - do they know something we don't? When is the vaccine arriving? Will one be found at all? 

1 minute ago, toontastic said:

I posted earlier about 2 teachers who want time off on full pay until we have a vaccine.

I've missed that one, I'm sure there are plenty thinking the same, but why would you expect full pay? I think the furlough scheme was a great thing to break the cycle but short term.