Boris makes a brilliant speech

Walker570

Snide comment!

Nothing snide about it.

The video clip shows clearly what the Tory party think of the NHS, especially the nurses. The cheering of the Tory back benches when the motion was defeated can be fairly characterised as both triumphalist and derisive. That’s how much they value NHS front line staff.

You may choose to laud a newly chastened Boris as the champion of the NHS but the record of both he and his party belie that.

Do not seek to tarnish me with the actions of those horrible people who would take satisfaction in the PM’s illness: they are beneath contempt. However, I am not prepared to permit him pose as the defender of the NHS when nothing could be further from the truth. He and his political allies have emasculated the NHS.

+1. Words are words. Actions are actions. Will he have a "conversion" like Saul on road to Damascus? Or when this is all done will it be back to "business as usual" with the Tories under Johnson come NHS pay negotiations?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Your point?

1) You haven’t defined how you would measure ‘most impacted’

2) you don’t live here and therefore why is it of importance to you how impacted we are, or are not? 

It’s already been stated that the UK could be the hardest hit European nation, and I have no doubt that when all this is over, and given the benefit that hindsight brings, the UK government of the day will be tarred with all manner of neglect and incompetence.

It is always thus, and always has been, and I see no reason why it won’t ever be any different, followed by the obligatory statement that lessons have been learned. 

Personally I think they’ve done a pretty good job so far. I’ve no doubt it could all have been handled better, but this is how we Brits do things.  We often muddle through, but get there in the end. 🙂

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

It's my country. Or would you deny me that?

Depends on whether you call it home. Do you? 

And back to the original question on definition of ‘hardest hit european country’. How do you intend to define it? 

I like Boris, always have. However, when this is all eventually over and anger replaces fear, I think questions will be asked as to why Boris ignored Prit Patel's recommendation to close our borders and why we initially followed the herd immunity theory. If you consider Germany's current stats I believe that these 2 actions alone may have cost thousands of UK lives and the people of this country are not terribly good at forgiveness.

43 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I like Boris, always have. However, when this is all eventually over and anger replaces fear, I think questions will be asked as to why Boris ignored Prit Patel's recommendation to close our borders and why we initially followed the herd immunity theory. If you consider Germany's current stats I believe that these 2 actions alone may have cost thousands of UK lives and the people of this country are not terribly good at forgiveness.

Until we get a vaccine, developing herd immunity through everybody catching it (which is what a vaccine does) is still the only strategy. The lockdown we have in place doesn’t stop the numbers of deaths just spreads them out over a longer period and stops the NHS being overloaded. If we closed the borders then you face the same problem when they are reopened.

The public don’t seem to get that and there will be the inevitable media feeding frenzy afterwards winding the public up.  In the same way that Churchill was voted out after WW2 the same could happen to Boris. 

19 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Take your snide comments elsewhere. 
Your as bad as those labour councillors who wished him dead. 

Time and a place for dispute ... when someone is recovering from serious illness and down isn’t it. 

Posting that video says more about your character than Boris’! 

Well said Lloyd, totally agree. :good:

12 hours ago, Scully said:

It’s already been stated that the UK could be the hardest hit European nation, and I have no doubt that when all this is over, and given the benefit that hindsight brings, the UK government of the day will be tarred with all manner of neglect and incompetence.

It is always thus, and always has been, and I see no reason why it won’t ever be any different, followed by the obligatory statement that lessons have been learned. 

Personally I think they’ve done a pretty good job so far. I’ve no doubt it could all have been handled better, but this is how we Brits do things.  We often muddle through, but get there in the end. 🙂

I have no doubt that Labour and wee cranky will make plenty of noise over how things were handled,  but I can't imagine them having done anything better, quite the opposite. 

10 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

You would think being an island would make it easier to stop people coming in, but they will keep saying they were following what the science said, I think the big mistake was not enforcing a proper lockdown earlier,  asking people to stay home please just made everyone, well lots anyway head out before they couldn't. 

37 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I have no doubt that Labour and wee cranky will make plenty of noise over how things were handled,  but I can't imagine them having done anything better, quite the opposite. 

Wee Jimmy is under fire atm. Apparently at her corona press conferences journalists are allowed to ask one question and then their microphone feed is cut off. Thus stopping any follow up questions or pushing for a proper answer when she swerves round the original question.

52 minutes ago, Mr_Nobody said:

Wee Jimmy is under fire atm. Apparently at her corona press conferences journalists are allowed to ask one question and then their microphone feed is cut off. Thus stopping any follow up questions or pushing for a proper answer when she swerves round the original question.

Pretty soon she will be writing the questions for them to ask. It's just natural progression :lol:

The public don’t seem to get that and there will be the inevitable media feeding frenzy afterwards winding the public up.  In the same way that Churchill was voted out after WW2 the same could happen to Boris. 

Yes. Johnson sees himself as Churchill in 1940. He maybe forgets what then happened to Churchill at the 1945 General Election. People then ignored the leader but instead passed judgement on the policies of that leader's party that had led the nation to where it found itself those five years earlier.

Edited by enfieldspares