Call me sceptical but !!!

hodge911

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

100%  - It's apples to orange comparisons, actually worse than that - more like comparing an apple to an unidentified object. If the UK as a whole is recording then same way then the only cross nation comparison we have in credible terms is between England, Wales, Scotland & NI. 

I haven't looked, lol, i suspect increased steeply perhaps and I'd even go as far as suggesting more exponential like than before - will you take that? I would if I were you 😛 

We both have our opinions, which is as it should be! I was just surprised you challenged my use of the word exponential.......as I’m sure we both understood what I meant? Lol!

7 minutes ago, clangerman said:

how could anyone be happy with the lack of ppe

No one is 'happy' with the lack of vaccines, the enormous financial cost, the jobs lost ........... but you cannot magic PPE and vaccines from thin air, and the measures that have been taken to protect are hugely expensive in both financial and employment terms - that is inevitable.

What I am overall quite pleased with is the way in which the crisis has and is being handled.  It is going to hurt in lots of ways - but there was and is no avoiding that.

And how come there's numerous interviews with people been on tv who have the ways & means to produce ppe but can not get the govt to reply to their offers to supply them ..... 

YES the govt has done good on some aspects but has serious failings in others .

Each country has different hurdles to deal with in the way it deals with the pandemic and can't accurately be compared with each other

Just now, panoma1 said:

We both have our opinions, which is as it should be! I was just surprised you challenged my use of the word exponential.......as I’m sure we both understood what I meant? Lol!

It's math, if our opinions differ and we are not dealing in imaginary numbers (although we may well be 😉) then only one of us is correct and it's not you! lol

11 minutes ago, clangerman said:

how could anyone be happy with the lack of ppe or the mad rush to build ventilators not up to spec to say nothing of the daily rise in the death toll if that’s doing a good job we are in serious serious trouble 

If only you ran the country imagine just how wonderful everything would be.

But seriously a mad rush to build ventilators which haven't been used, we've created thousands of additional hospital spaces yet haven't reached capacity with what we already had.

PPE there is a world wide shortage, every country is struggling and yet time and time again you use it as a stick to beat down on the government.

Oh for to have you in charge, the world would be a much better place

35 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

but surely we should park that and move forward.

From a purely logical standpoint, you are quite right.  Human nature though always tends to make comparisons with both past experience and present 'other people/countries/systems/experiences' - and speculate on 'what might have been' had we done 'this/that/the other'.  It may not be exactly helpful, but it is the way minds work - and in a way - does have a place.  Comparisons can either make you feel downbeat and depressed, or elated and relieved - but making no comparisons would leave a big gap - just because it is how most people's mind's work.

8 minutes ago, toontastic said:

If only you ran the country imagine just how wonderful everything would be.

But seriously a mad rush to build ventilators which haven't been used, we've created thousands of additional hospital spaces yet haven't reached capacity with what we already had.

PPE there is a world wide shortage, every country is struggling and yet time and time again you use it as a stick to beat down on the government.

Oh for to have you in charge, the world would be a much better place

a lot more would be alive with me in charge that’s for sure for a start the borders would have been shut on day one my lockdown would have worked because breaking it would get you shot on sight harsh times call for harsh measures not half baked 

1 minute ago, clangerman said:

a lot more would be alive with me in charge that’s for sure for a start the borders would have been shut on day one my lockdown would have worked because breaking it would get you shot on sight harsh times call for harsh measures not half baked 

Umm - slightly similar tactics don't seem to have worked in North Korea .....

Just now, clangerman said:

I was just about to defend your right to be critical even if you didn't profess to have all the answers, oh well...

8 minutes ago, clangerman said:

You really do have problems, Why is killing people always the answer to the question for some people. Does the idea of shooting people excite you. 4 weeks ago my grandsons girlfriend went into labour and I had to drive her to hospital, I'm just so grateful you weren't in charge as the 3 adults and the unborn child in the car would now be shot dead.

Edited by toontastic

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Exactly Lloyd, surely the emphasis should/have been placed on those in the front line especially care home workers [as the old are the most vulnerable] and nurses....... the rest can wait...........hey ho, hindsight is a wonderful thing 

Yes but if members of the public, who don’t need PPE wouldn’t have rushed out and bought masks and gloves and aprons then there also wouldn’t have been such a shortage for front line staff. 

My cousin and his wife were saying the other day how they haven’t been to the shop for 6 weeks and are only having food deliveries. 

I asked him why, they’re both relatively fit and healthy and have no issues. I said it’s no wonder the old and vulnerable can’t get a slot for a home me delivery as they are all taken up by people who don’t really need them! 

24 minutes ago, clangerman said:

As I pointed out on an earlier post there was over 100 parties in a local area. That's a lot of men, women and children for you to shoot.

Edited by toontastic

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes but if members of the public, who don’t need PPE wouldn’t have rushed out and bought masks and gloves and aprons then there also wouldn’t have been such a shortage for front line staff. 

My cousin and his wife were saying the other day how they haven’t been to the shop for 6 weeks and are only having food deliveries. 

I asked him why, they’re both relatively fit and healthy and have no issues. I said it’s no wonder the old and vulnerable can’t get a slot for a home me delivery as they are all taken up by people who don’t really need them! 

I sort of caught a story on the news yesterday about a NHS worker responsible for buying in PPE who had set up his own company for  selling PPE to the private sector. I didn't quite catch the full story.

9 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

👍   It took us 4 weeks to find a company that would let us even register and 2 more weeks to get a delivery.

20 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

From a purely logical standpoint, you are quite right.  Human nature though always tends to make comparisons with both past experience and present 'other people/countries/systems/experiences' - and speculate on 'what might have been' had we done 'this/that/the other'.  It may not be exactly helpful, but it is the way minds work - and in a way - does have a place.  Comparisons can either make you feel downbeat and depressed, or elated and relieved - but making no comparisons would leave a big gap - just because it is how most people's mind's work.

On the basis of negotiating until you get what you want and then shut-up - in this case agreement between us - 👍

11 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

That’s where our opinions differ! :rolleyes:

As long as it's amicable 👍

17 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

👍   It took us 4 weeks to find a company that would let us even register and 2 more weeks to get a delivery.

Somebody I know who is housebound usually gets deliveries every Tuesday, but last time they ordered it was a three week wait. Luckily some family members did a bit shopping for them and I dropped off some packs of pheasant I had in the freezer. 

2 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Johannesburg was pretty bad before CV19  to be fair, not a realistic comparison. I have spent a lot of time with my family who live there - probably the worst city I’ve ever been to. 

The reason I've said about Joburg is because it was on the  news and they are a lot better off than most places in Africa,  but it's a mess, I doubt there will be figures coming from most of the countries in Africa,  just as someone said in Brazil a lot of mass graves.

Germany and Korea have obviously done well with the testing,  New Zealand with there lockdown but they are all very different countries to us.

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

But you don’t even vote!! Would you shoot people for not voting?

earlier you were the biggest exponent of getting out shooting pigeon would you shoot the people doing it now? (On sight) no chance to offer good reasons 

now you’re Saying the government got it wrong but you can’t be bothered to vote for change 

seems to me the whole world is out of step According to you 

I welcome your input to rectify the situation 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

Seems reasonable