How many rounds?

henry d

I was unaware of this fact but on 10th May 1982, just south of Port Stanley, we (the crew of HMS Glasgow) made Naval history being the first Naval ship to fire so many rounds in anger since 1959.

1613804457_4.5inch1982.jpg.82573959dadc3d01412ad3a90c40fa39.jpg

As you can see the guard rails are down so a lot rolled over the side, but 133 HE rounds were fired at 05-30Z in the first salvo on Moody Brook, a wireless station, and Sapper hill then a further 52 rounds at various military targets (Mts. Tumbledown/Longdon, Two Sisters etc) at 13-00Z, and finally at 23-30Z only 33 rounds fired at radio stations near Port Stanley as the visibility was not good for the helo (and land based SAS) spotting.

34 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Did the gun then need to be re-lined? I'm guessing that it was near the limit of safety for overhead naval gunsfire support if the RN still do that? Bring back Warspite!

I don`t think so, I`ll ask the gunners, and we used it again on the 12th as self-defence and my diary doesn`t list any more NGS or similar.

I would imagine that it was in most as we had our comeuppance because of this action on the 12th, two days later, as the flying conditions were good enough for the Argentine pilots to get several waves of aircraft out to us which culminated in our ship being hit by a 1000lb bomb. Fortunately it didn't prime fully and entered stbd side after engine room about 3' above the waterline, and exited port side spot on the waterline damaging a fire pump, fuel trunk and two of the RR Tyne engine intakes. Not a scratch on a single person thankfully.

1 hour ago, Mr. Merkel said:

Hugh MacManners authored the book "Falklands Commando", he was a Captain forward observer in 3 cammando brigade during the conflict and directed Naval Gunfire Support on Stanley and other locations.

Cheers, that is an interesting lead 👍

20 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Did the gun then need to be re-lined? I'm guessing that it was near the limit of safety for overhead naval gunsfire support if the RN still do that? Bring back Warspite!

Appaently not, I just got a reply from a gunner who was on the 20mm crews. They are changed at refits and when calibration checks say they are getting near certain limits and we fired a further salvo this day 38 years ago of 52 rounds as well as engaging the attacking A4 groups.

I am also waiting on permission to post a picture of what it was like for our gun crews to face an air attack.

2 hours ago, mr smith said:

I assume a lot of those cases made it home as souvenirs. 

Yeah I have one that I cut down on the lathe, removed the primer rod and cut a recess in the middle and, later that year, fitted a Falklands 50p into it.

I cut a load down for those who wanted one but if they wanted more than that it cost in tinnies. I found out today that a chief MEA still has his and used the rest of the case to make a sweetie jar. I still have to engrave mine with our story.

Just about to have a tot of rum and toast those who returned and those still on patrol, cheers!

I was 19 at the time and was in awe of what our forces did. There was a magazine published afterwards (called something radical like "Falklands") that i got every edition of. I've still got it somewhere. Respect to all who served out there (and elsewhere). 

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

my dad was on the Warspite

I remember my father telling how he saw the Warspite in Portsmouth before she was to be towed away for scrapping. He was Navy, serving on Ajax, London and crossbow, and loved his days on these ships. 

Really good post this, very interesting. We need more of them.

On 11/05/2020 at 12:39, henry d said:

I was unaware of this fact but on 10th May 1982, just south of Port Stanley, we (the crew of HMS Glasgow) made Naval history being the first Naval ship to fire so many rounds in anger since 1959.

1613804457_4.5inch1982.jpg.82573959dadc3d01412ad3a90c40fa39.jpg

As you can see the guard rails are down so a lot rolled over the side, but 133 HE rounds were fired at 05-30Z in the first salvo on Moody Brook, a wireless station, and Sapper hill then a further 52 rounds at various military targets (Mts. Tumbledown/Longdon, Two Sisters etc) at 13-00Z, and finally at 23-30Z only 33 rounds fired at radio stations near Port Stanley as the visibility was not good for the helo (and land based SAS) spotting.

Great work Henry, Out of interest do you know where was the previous record in 59 was

40 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Great work Henry, Out of interest do you know where was the previous record in 59 was

I'll try and find out as I was also unaware of it, but it is our LTBAD (Lucky to be alive day) and there is a fair bit of rum disappearing from the UK, it may be a day or two to get a reply from the gunner who quoted it.

1 minute ago, henry d said:

I'll try and find out as I was also unaware of it, but it is our LTBAD (Lucky to be alive day) and there is a fair bit of rum disappearing from the UK, it may be a day or two to get a reply from the gunner who quoted it.

:good:.....Woods navy  I hope..