Anyone else supporting the Govt.?

Smokersmith

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

It seems my description touched a nerve with you! 😆 A reality in life is some people without conscience and self respect, will tread on anyone and do anything to “get up the greasy pole”.....if the cap fits? As they say! 😂 

And some people with a bit of 'skill and will', recognise that to do a bit of good in the world it can be helpful to lead and not follow.

Leadership is about 'having an influence on things that matter'.

It seems like you've had some very unfortunate experiences in the past. The people you describe would quickly be flushed out of our organisation.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

And some people with a bit of 'skill and will', recognise that to do a bit of good in the world it can be helpful to lead and not follow.

Leadership is about 'having an influence on things that matter'.

It seems like you've had some very unfortunate experiences in the past. The people you describe would quickly be flushed out of our organisation.

I don’t disagree! As you will observe, my comments were of a general nature, and yes, bought about by personal observation..........to receive an unwarranted personal attack from an individual, for expressing my opinion, probably says more about their character than mine!

Talking of the government, it seems that the Home Secretary has finally put her head above the parapet. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/priti-patel-nhs-fees-foreign-health-staff-immigration-surcharge-a9517356.html. For someone who once called British workers 'the worst idlers in the world' https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-19300051, you'd have thought she'd have been keener to keep foreign NHS staff. After all, the trifling  savings made by getting them to pay for their own treatment must surely be outweighed by the resentment it will obviously cause. 

And talking of idlers, one has to wonder where our Home Secretary has been hiding throughout the whole domestic Covid upheaval. New social laws, police involvement, criminal justice revisions, etc, etc, are surely Home Office briefs, but Patel has been so absent I was beginning to think she must have emigrated or something. 

Anyway, her multiple fans will be pleased to know that an opportunity to put the boot in to a group of people fortunate than herself has finally tempted her from the woodwork. Perhaps she might now stay out and start doing her job. 

17 hours ago, SpringDon said:

Quite right, if only we’d acted like, er, you know, that place. That one with no deaths and loads of ppe. It’ll come to me in a minute

Hong Kong,  4 deaths I believe and no chance what so ever that anyone is telling pork pies with the figures 🤪

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Hong Kong,  4 deaths I believe and no chance what so ever that anyone is telling pork pies with the figures 🤪

Haven’t the people of Hong Kong been wearing masks for the past two years.

9 hours ago, DoolinDalton said:

read recently, if anyone, even a single person, in a care home, is tested positive for CV19, then it is assumed (and therefore recorded) that ALL  residents of that home will be positive for CV19.   Therefore, anyone dying in said care home, will be recorded as having died of CV19, regardless of them having (died from) dementia, cancer, pneumonia, etc.  It makes me wonder why the figures are manipulated?    

Very interesting read, someone mentioned in another thread that many people are having C19 put down as cause of death despite suffering other ailments, saying covid related death.

I doubt many other countries are being as transparent with the numbers. 

34 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

And talking of idlers, one has to wonder where our Home Secretary has been hiding throughout the whole domestic Covid upheaval. New social laws, police involvement, criminal justice revisions, etc, etc, are surely Home Office briefs, but Patel has been so absent I was beginning to think she must have emigrated or something. 

Anyway, her multiple fans will be pleased to know that an opportunity to put the boot in to a group of people fortunate than herself has finally tempted her from the woodwork. Perhaps she might now stay out and start doing her job. 

Dog with a bone aren't you, by absent do you mean because she hasn't been on the podium at 5pm answering the same questions asked by the same reporters day in day.

14 minutes ago, JDog said:

Probably a lot longer because of the smog or fog or traffic pollution,  same as china same as Japan.

But 4 deaths, just checked still says 4??

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

24 minutes ago, JDog said:

I have lived in HK and, whilst it isn’t the worst place on Earth general hygiene is very poor. Like all Asian countries they will not be transparent on numbers as the main focus is on ‘saving face’. 

12 hours ago, SpringDon said:

People in the uk like to think the nhs is the envy of the world but only around 10 other countries have roughly comparable systems. Some people instantly sneer that the alternative is a American model but this is a classic straw man argument. No one in the right mind would copy the American system (even America if they were given another chance). Why not have an insurance based system like germany’s, where state involvement is limited to ensuring everybody has access to the insurance?

People applaud health workers, not the nhs.

Agree with this. The NHS is a large, bloated, inefficient organisation. Like any large organisation is has some good people in it, many mediocre and a few incompetents. Unfortunately it has become such a sacred cow that it is impossible to criticise it. 

8 minutes ago, AVB said:

Agree with this. The NHS is a large, bloated, inefficient organisation. Like any large organisation is has some good people in it, many mediocre and a few incompetents. Unfortunately it has become such a sacred cow that it is impossible to criticise it. 

I too agree, the NHS has become untouchable 

39 minutes ago, AVB said:

I have lived in HK and, whilst it isn’t the worst place on Earth general hygiene is very poor. Like all Asian countries they will not be transparent on numbers as the main focus is on ‘saving face’. 

I was actually referring to the protesters.

5 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Do we think that given the i would say obvious financial constraints the nation is going to face in the future,  Think that the government might look at "DE TRUSTING" the NHS. And revert back to the formative times of NHS management. ?

One of the important things that is often lost sight of is that change in itself is both expensive and disruptive.

Expensive because inevitably roles and positions disappear - needing people to be paid off under the terms of their contract (which can be a lot of money for senior people) - and new posts are created which need recruiting and filling - which is also expensive - especially if you use an agency.  Sometimes, people are paid off in one role with a substantial severance payment, then recruited to a different role under similar terms to those they had before.

Disruptive because inevitably some 'working time' is lost during reorganisations, and sometimes facilities need to be re-arranged, moved, etc.  Change also has a big effect of staff morales; well managed thoughtful change can boost morale, but many changes lower morale by making people worried about their future role, remuneration and position

Big changes also often engage expensive people to 'oversea and manage' the change - often 'consultants' who do not come cheap.

Remember also that the NHS has things like PFI contracts in place that cannot simply be stopped (there will be severance penalties).

So - unless things are A LOT better - the change itself may wipe out any advantages for a long period.  It is one to remember that 'the grass isn't necessarily greener', just a different shade of green.

I have no 'magic solution' and I'm very sceptical of any magic solution offered by others.

3 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Yes i do whilst i don't  believe In Nicola Sturgeons policies i believe she was right to keep us in lock down for another 3 weeks and see what happens to our friends south of the border 

Can't blame her at all for that, I'd have waited to see what happened abroad but when you look st the figures they say most should be fine going back to work if precautions are taken.

Plus I doubt NS or Scotland are footing the bill( couldn't resist a little dig)

Its okay ive worked nearly straight threw and i only posted for a bite or see who had steam coming out there ears .

We have gone from maybe 4000 students on campus to maybe 800 and isolation is certainly getting to them we as humans need to socially interact 

On 15/05/2020 at 10:07, Dougy said:

Same old story, you see it every day, its not just the Covid story, everyone not involved would have done a better job, same as football, everyone off the pitch plays better than those on the pitch. 

Management is the same, all those on the shop floor blames the management yet never move from the shop floor because they are either incompetent or plain lazy. 

This. It’s all too easy to sit on the side lines and find fault / throw stones, which is why it goes on.

It’s an unprecedented situation and the people at the top are doing their best. UCAS point for UCAS point we’ve got the best of a bad bunch of politicians - just think, if the election went the other way it would be that dream team of Corbyn, Abbott and McDonald 😃

4 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I too agree, the NHS has become untouchable 

We are witnessing its deification. Never been a fan of that or putting anything beyond change.

25 minutes ago, Mungler said:

We are witnessing its deification. Never been a fan of that or putting anything beyond change.

When (and if) the truth comes out properly about the NHS's role in pushing C-19 infected patients into the care homes, thus causing it to spread like wildfire, the NHS might not be the sacred cow it is now.

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, Bigbob said:

Its okay ive worked nearly straight threw and i only posted for a bite or see who had steam coming out there ears .

We have gone from maybe 4000 students on campus to maybe 800 and isolation is certainly getting to them we as humans need to socially interact 

Are they actually staying apart? No parties been going on?

I just can't imagine uni students sticking to a lockdown on campus

Aye its crazy from 10 rooms in a flat you have only one student  in a flat now  now there mainly Chinese they stay for the duration of there degree anyway and usually walk about with masks on . A social gathering is they order a bulk meal from a Chinese carry out  and queue up to get it from the delivery driver 

i think the govt is doing a decent job...............i do not like the ministers they send out to do the blurb tho...................grant shapps.....bloody liar..........gavin williamson...dont get me started on that one..........they are not credible or authoritive....and very poor actors

the media is really annoying me as well...........its so politico orintated....they are all acting for their papers and just seem to be trying to get one over on the poor muppet who is there.....

the advisors i think are very good..........

then again you have senior professors who are outside the circle and who are brought in by sky and the bbc to pass judgement....and they are always criticle and critisise all the govt advisors....i think just out of jealousy..............

when will they all learn we the people are not blind ...we are well informed ....and not generally stupid...and have better memories that the govt credit us for..............

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

When you look at the cases per million population, the UK is actually far from the worst.

Infographic: COVID-19 Cases per Million Inhabitants: A Comparison | Statista

As many here have noted, the UK has a high population and high population density.

That presents things in a more favourable light than many you see. I doubt we will ever know the true death toll here or any other country for that matter.

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

When you look at the cases per million population, the UK is actually far from the worst.

Infographic: COVID-19 Cases per Million Inhabitants: A Comparison | Statista

As many here have noted, the UK has a high population and high population density.

Slightly flawed though as it doesn’t show the number of tests executed. The lower number of tests will therefore result in a lower number of confirmed cases. And the UK was late to the table with testing. 

but I am not sure the relevance of showing the absolute number of confirmed cases. You need to show the trend per country.