Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
motty

Second helping of beans

Recommended Posts

I knew that the beans that we shot on last week would be worth another go. I needed a good day, after I had a bit of a disappointment the week before. I went to shoot a field of topped maize that was heaving with birds. I was called by the farmer after half an hour, asking me to stop, due to a noise complaint from a nearby resident. Having shot 27 pigeons and making most shots count, I was more than annoyed at having to pack up.

So, back to the beans. I went to check them at 6pm on Friday night. The field erupted as I expected. Another good bag was certainly on! I thought that similar hide positions to last week would do the trick, although an extra person would have to be catered for. Gerard was invited as well as Jules, and the plan was to put three hides in a row, twenty yards or so apart, meaning that anything that crossed between us should be in trouble. We put out a magnet in front of each hide.

We arrived at around 11.30am and finalised the plan of attack. A few birds were on the wing already. It was warm, but a fresh breeze helped it feel less stifling. We had a variety of guns out; each of us with an o/u 12, and a modified 20 and .410 for myself and Gerard respectively.

The plan worked out ok, but the action was less busy than the previous visit. Fortunately it was a great laugh, with eye wipes aplenty and much mickey taking. We had some fun with the moderated guns, too. A couple of fields over also seemed very popular with our blue/grey friends, as they were seen constantly coming and going there. I will have to pay them a visit soon.

We shot until 5pm ish, and picked up a healthy 188 pigeons and A couple of crows.

 

IMG-20200530-WA0002.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Excellent write up as usual motty, what a shame that you had to curtail your shooting but when the request comes from the farmer, what else can you do. I wonder had the farmer had considered educating the individual about crop protection. Would it be an opportunity with the moderated?

atb

7diaw

Edited by 7daysinaweek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet another good bag. You boys are racking up some numbers at the minute.

Good result👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good day lads. Motty I was having a quiet stroll along a river bank, I could hear the reports of different calibres especially the crack of a .410. If it was you boys it sounded busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another good bag and report to go with it.  You boys certainly have a few birds about.
 

I am not seeing birds feeding in any numbers until around 5 pm in my neck of the woods. I have just been watching some peas at 7.30 this evening and the birds were piling in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, la bala said:

Good day lads. Motty I was having a quiet stroll along a river bank, I could hear the reports of different calibres especially the crack of a .410. If it was you boys it sounded busy.

I don't think we were near a river on this occasion. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, motty said:

I don't think we were near a river on this occasion. 😁

Another trio having a good day, definitely 3 different calibres.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done, excellent result from the initial disappointment. We all suffer from people who move to the country and then don't like what happens in the country. I often wish I had a gas gun which I could offer to the Farmer to allow them to have it working all daylight hours, or is that childish!!

Again excellent report keep it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job Motty, you certainly get some good numbers in your area, we struggle to find enough to make a decent day out on the Norfolk coast, 

I had a few perms very near to houses, so rather than lose them I invested in a moderator for my Beretta, it's fitted to a 1/2 choke and can be removed when not needed, great for getting in to those awkward spots for a few extra birds. It was £200 and is a bit barrel heavy but very usable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well done mate , this is why I always carry my 20 bore Mossberg hushy  just in case I have a sensitive area , there is nothing worse than starting to have a good day before some moaning Minnie upsets the apple cart , still you made up for it , I reckon you will have another session soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2020 at 09:43, pigeon controller said:

Well done, excellent result from the initial disappointment. We all suffer from people who move to the country and then don't like what happens in the country. I often wish I had a gas gun which I could offer to the Farmer to allow them to have it working all daylight hours, or is that childish!!

Again excellent report keep it up.

Yes it's childish! but thy deserve it! anouther great result Motty, still waiting for your latest vid mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A farmer friend of mine had a couple buy a house opposite his farm who then complained for years about him walking his cows up the lane morning and afternoon to bring them in/out for milking. He just laughed at them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2020 at 09:43, pigeon controller said:

Well done, excellent result from the initial disappointment. We all suffer from people who move to the country and then don't like what happens in the country. I often wish I had a gas gun which I could offer to the Farmer to allow them to have it working all daylight hours, or is that childish!!

Again excellent report keep it up.

I can't understand the objection to the noise. It is not every day, as I rarely shoot that farm. The farmer did say I could shoot the field another day, but has since changed his mind!!

On 03/06/2020 at 12:08, lakeside1000 said:

Great job Motty, you certainly get some good numbers in your area, we struggle to find enough to make a decent day out on the Norfolk coast, 

I had a few perms very near to houses, so rather than lose them I invested in a moderator for my Beretta, it's fitted to a 1/2 choke and can be removed when not needed, great for getting in to those awkward spots for a few extra birds. It was £200 and is a bit barrel heavy but very usable.

I have a couple of moderated guns, which I could have used, really. I wonder now, though, if the people that complained are, in fact, antis. I think they have really been in the ear of the farmer. 

8 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

Yes it's childish! but thy deserve it! anouther great result Motty, still waiting for your latest vid mate.

The first phase of my video production has been completed. A couple more stages to go!

6 hours ago, London Best said:

A farmer friend of mine had a couple buy a house opposite his farm who then complained for years about him walking his cows up the lane morning and afternoon to bring them in/out for milking. He just laughed at them.

Yeah, makes me laugh. In my job, we get smell complaints from people who have bought houses next to sewage treatment works! 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Mat said:

3rd instalment,  crows on the beans?

I don't know! The crows are always around, but never want to come too near. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...