Guess the load

So the .410 is 25 grm and the 20 b is 24 grm .

Thats the heaviest .410 load ive ever seen .i just had to pick up a box to try bit at £12 im not gonna make a habit of shooting them .

The 20 b cart was just a trial box to see if my semi auto cycles them .

They were £7 a box .almost half the price of the .410  

Screenshot_20200721-181434.png

Yes they use a roll over crimp .and yes a massive 25 grm .of no 7.5  .

Nuts eh ? .i expect they will punch in my little .410 and they maybe quite slow . ?

But still interesting  to find out .

I was shooting some hull high pheasant  19 grm no6  .410  last week and they pulled the pige out of the sky with ease .very pleased and at £85 a slab a much better price than these 25 grms ones will ever be.

20200721_184117.png

Cheers that was 16 picked  20 shot in a couple of hours last week  .ranges from 15 - 30 ish yards  not a single alive bird on collection .

Thats what i love about .410 they shoot a tight pattern  .and i try to  keep the ranges arount 20 yds this way a miss is usually a 100 % miss .and a hit is very much a full on hit with a very dead bird .

So iv just  tried out these bornaghi 25 grm .410 carts ..and they are soooooo quiet its unbelievable. They really are as quiet as an airgun .say a .22 springer .

All i could hear was the hammer click and any impact .

Unfortunately  they are (as expected ) useless for shooting pigeons on the wing .

I did kill 2 .one at about 10 yds head on and another on a wire at about 22 yds id estimate .

But there were a few other shots where given a standard load id have dropped them easily  .

So where do i see these being useful ? 

Well if your in a barn shooting ferels at up to 15 yds or rats then these would work .possibly as a dispatching  cart on a trapped animal ? And you want to be very quiet ...but for general .410 work id stay clear .

These will go into the bottom of the storage box as a failed experiment (along with a few other sub sonic carts ) and maybe see daylight if i ever need to be super duper quiet .at short range .

On 21/07/2020 at 18:37, Ultrastu said:

Yes they use a roll over crimp .and yes a massive 25 grm .of no 7.5  .

Nuts eh ? .i expect they will punch in my little .410 and they maybe quite slow . ?

But still interesting  to find out .

I was shooting some hull high pheasant  19 grm no6  .410  last week and they pulled the pige out of the sky with ease .very pleased and at £85 a slab a much better price than these 25 grms ones will ever be.

20200721_184117.png

Yes, I would be torn between the Hull High Pheasant or the Fiocchi if I had to rely on factory. I did shoot a slab of Hull and they killed very cleanly. Had an awesome day on partridge with them last year.  Those heavy loads must be serious slow and to be honest I do not see the point. It really amounts to only a half dozen or so pellets in the pattern.

I have to  admit that my go to standard do any thing cart was the gamebore 16 grm no6 .

But the hull high pheasant  .at 19 grm no6 .seem to be just as quiet   and hit the birds hard .i havent tried them on crows yet but i suspect they will do well enough .

They will probably become my fave all rounder . .

I suspect very similar to the 24g Draghi Cheddites, which have just an over powder card and crimped, on the Bornaghi, rto allows for an extra gram of shot and both seriously subsonic.

In 410, highest useful load I have found for loading is 21g, but getting that super sonic and keeping pressure reasonable is stil a balancing act, my rto homeloads sit about 1070 at the muzzle and kill fine to 35 yards with 3% antimony shot, I can go supersonic but need to go to 5% antimony shot to compensate for increased pressure in chamber and prevent damage to pellets to maintain pattern.