Dealing with intimidation

One farm I have shot for a number of years came with a local farm labourer who didn't like sharing the permission.

Although we only spoke once I was warned to be careful of him because he can be nasty.

Quite often when I have been shooting he would drive his truck across the field to try and spoil it for me.

Today I saw him pass by my van on the road as I was unloading the quad and he took a big loop around the farm then just drove across the stubbles I was going to shoot and stopped in the middle of the field then disappeared for a few minutes and came back again driving around in circles clearly trying to spoil my shooting and making it impossible to set up.

I need to get this silliness stopped as it's basically childish intimidation but I'm wondering what you lads would do in my place?

You could make a fictional story out of such stuff. "Big Bad John gets Nailed". Of how an intimidated shooter got his revenge by taking two or three small planks of wood with nails with him the next time he went shooting. He placed them (concealed under vegetation) under where Big Bad John used drive his truck into or out of the field to engage in his intimidation. Well events took their course. Big Bad John found the planks but the intimidated shooter escaped blame by accusing "ramblers" who shouted anti-shooting abuse at him last time he was out shooting the field and expressed sympathy with Big Bad John saying how lucky he felt that he'd not had the misfortune to drive over them. Anyway I'm sure such a story would be well received in the back pages of "amusing tales" in some of our shooting press. Hmm. I must write in to them with it.

Why would the landowner kick him off?? By sounds off it he's seen off a few folk before

Not saying he's right but he probably thinks he is. Sounds like he's been there for years.

Is it ur only permission? How often is he shooting it?

Generally farmers don't think much about permissions but shooters regard them quite personally

Unless ur good pals with farmer can't see u getting anywhere with him, so u either sort it with the lad, put up with it or walk away

I don't know the story how u got the permission, so nothing personal

Must admit I never get in that situation if I think or know someone shoots there I will refuse permission, in a previous job was often offered vermin control but mostly on others land so turned it down

But life's to short to go round upsetting other shooters by muscling in,/ stealing permissions, just not worth the hassle.

I know a few locals who are well known for door knocking farmers even thou the shooter is well known, u even get folk doing it to mates.

1 lad thought a good idea to door knock all the farms that boundry the estate he beated on, he doesn't beat there any longer

7 hours ago, sitsinhedges said:

He doesn't work on this farm but one next door. I doubt his boss would be interested. 

But has permission on it? Even if you walk, might be worth a video and a quiet word with the farmer to say this is **** your staff do when 'working'.. You're trying to do the farmer a favour whilat shooting. To then have this idiot drive the field like a bit of a fool

I had this problem many moons ago and it just showed how important it is to have written permission.  I was approached on some land and threatened by three men one of who indicated he had permission to shoot that land. I quietly advised him to go away as I had written permission to shoot there.   I had a good friend who was a local solicitor and he looked at my written permission and said leave it with me.  A week later he rang to say he had confirmed my  shooting rights and secured a further years shooting at no cost to me (I was paying a small shooting rent) in addition a discount of £50 would be returned for the inconveience caused.  I had the last two years shooting on that ground before it went under concrete , bricks and mortar with some triple figure pigeon days, canada geese, duck flighting, night foxing etc etc.   Firstly get your permission in writing.

29 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I had this problem many moons ago and it just showed how important it is to have written permission.  I was approached on some land and threatened by three men one of who indicated he had permission to shoot that land. I quietly advised him to go away as I had written permission to shoot there.   I had a good friend who was a local solicitor and he looked at my written permission and said leave it with me.  A week later he rang to say he had confirmed my  shooting rights and secured a further years shooting at no cost to me (I was paying a small shooting rent) in addition a discount of £50 would be returned for the inconveience caused.  I had the last two years shooting on that ground before it went under concrete , bricks and mortar with some triple figure pigeon days, canada geese, duck flighting, night foxing etc etc.   Firstly get your permission in writing.

All of my permissions are in writing. They have to be in this day and age.

50 minutes ago, sitsinhedges said:

To clarify, virtually all land around here is shared to some degree. It causes envy and frustration sometimes but it also means that those who put in the legwork get the shooting and the farmer get some reliable crop protection. 

Fair play.

Aye it must be a bit different down there then, he probably sees u as trying to steal his permission.

But if that is the norm down there he should get over himself and either leave u in peace or offer to co ordinate shooting oppisate ends of farm/fields to keep birds moving. Then u'll both benefit.

Just dunno how helpful farmer will be, chances are this worker will know him better than u with working next door.

Althou in this case if he is a numpty that might benefit u

I'd try to speak to the lad 1st

Film him. Arrange an appointment with the head of your local police firearms department. Show them the video.

I live in the most densely populated part of England and permission to shoot can be very difficult to obtain. Consequently I, and many others, have learned to share. Like grown up`s!

The immature and threatening behaviour that you describe is not that of a fit and proper person to own firearms. I think that the police might want, at the very least, to have a quiet word in his ear.

21 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

Film him. Arrange an appointment with the head of your local police firearms department. Show them the video.

I live in the most densely populated part of England and permission to shoot can be very difficult to obtain. Consequently I, and many others, have learned to share. Like grown up`s!

The immature and threatening behaviour that you describe is not that of a fit and proper person to own firearms. I think that the police might want, at the very least, to have a quiet word in his ear.

Is the correct answer 👍

9 minutes ago, clangerman said:

film this clown show the employer then ask the EMPLOYER how HE wants it handled should take him about ten secs and your in the clear for any blame of what happens to said clown 

So u would get a man sacked just to shoot a few pigeons.

Can't see how has anything to do with his employer as on a different farm.

He does sound a numpty but I would still try to speak to him 1st.

Grassing up to boss or polis just seems wrong to me esp without giving him a chance

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

Grassing up to boss or polis just seems wrong to me esp without giving him a chance

I beileve .as has been said  this is one nasty guy to deal with . (I know a few people i wouldnt want to go toe to toe with ) reason and logic will be totally lost on this fella  he is already acting as if he has been dobbed into the police or his employer .i feel  a gental word would be more agrevating to the fella .

I agree to the filming of his activites .

The id go straight to his boss them police .

Especially of he is  sgc.fac  owner .

What the op .MUST  not do is compromise himself by arguing with the guy .he puts his own certs at risk .let alone teeth .

Edited by Ultrastu

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

no personally i would jump straight out the landy for a proper row but most on here are civilised and being sacked is better than losing your tickets 

Some folk are just very precious/strange! Farmer must think his behaviour strange if he knows him and sees him doing it? If the farmer wants you to or has offered you the shooting. Just carry on. Should be plenty of space/land and shooting for every one. I have found peps like that get bored accepting or disappear eventually. Others become mates and share land and info. . . . Least he not setting up on same field, shooting your flight lines or putting out rope bangers in your field and shooting else were. Had this and two fellas that other farmers called my shadow follow me about for a while. Drive fields or sit in gateway/clear view and watch me for ages. Or the more sly move of turning up in two trucks leaving one parked in full sun with window glare reflecting up field or line to my position putting birds off. Or parking one in gateway to block fields and shoot else where. The last two farmer hadn't seen for ages until he offered me the shooting. He had enough when couldn't get into his own field one day and they were off.  Others got my number off farmer rang me and said it there land and that the farmer didn't mean to give me permission as he was so stressed that day, and to stay off the fields i had been shooting as they planning a big day. When i told/asked farmer he couldn't stop laughing. Had others drive some distance right up between deaks and hide while i was shooting.Thought sorted and all OK nice to my face, they leave only to get call from farmer/keeper they not happy. Had rim fire fizz past me in past. Weather accidental or not? One of the few times i knocked up a permnant hide i never got to shoot in it myself as another would be in there most weekends regardless. Another would hang rope bangers on them during the week. I thought this kinda thing happened to all of us at some time? Especially when pigeons were worth a bit (market guns and thursday shooters ol boi's called them) and more dealers. . . . Several other shooters or farmers mates/family shoot same ground as me. Get on with most. I always ask if other shooters on same ground if offered shooting and how often they on, any likely probs with them neighbours or tenants.. Most who are country folk know each other! Have always said i will never fall out with anyone over a bit it shooting. Life's to short. Others only jealous if you are any good or do well. End of the day if we weren't useful to the farmers few of us would have any shooting.  

Had my share of nails in tyres at one time. Hard to prove! Always try and park my truck where i can see it. Especially with so many more folk running long dogs and nicking stuff. Seem to be less butterfly shooters about this year.      NB 

• 2 weeks later...