An example of why COVID infections are on the rise.

Raja Clavata

So, the person that my mother, wife and daughter have "do their nails" was apparently a "bit poorly" last week when the latter two went to see her to get their nails done.

My mother (over 70 and vulnerable) was due to have hers done on Sunday but when she spoke to the girl on Saturday she picked up on her now worsening symptoms (cough) - she cancelled her appointment and urged her to get a test. By Monday morning the girl had a positive test result returned.

The mum of the girl is my mothers next door neighbour. The mum and the girls husband got tested as did my missus and daughter. Missus and daughter isolated whilst waiting for the results to come through - returned today both negative. 

Meanwhile the girls husband and mum have both returned positive results. Incredibly, they have both continued working and the mum thinks it's ok to work on Sunday at Boots as she first had symptoms nearly two weeks ago. The husband of the mum has carried on as usual and hasn't even bothered to get tested.

You've really gotta wonder sometimes...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

We all have to get it sooner or later .

The idea of avoidance is mental 

We may all get it at some point, but if your 70 and vulnerable you should be avoiding it.

11 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Meanwhile the girls husband and mum have both returned positive results. Incredibly, they have both continued working and the mum thinks it's ok to work on Sunday at Boots as she first had symptoms nearly two weeks ago. The husband of the mum has carried on as usual and hasn't even bothered to get tested.

You've really gotta wonder sometimes...

And that's the problem,  positive result means you stay home, I'm sure there will be loads doing this.

A woman in Barrow was fined £1000 for going the pub 25 minutes after getting a positive result 😡😡

Screenshot_20201009-173525_Facebook.jpg.c16864c4462dbe5964ae6fce2786a8fc.jpg

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

We may all get it at some point, but if your 70 and vulnerable you should be avoiding it.

And that's the problem,  positive result means you stay home, I'm sure there will be loads doing this.

A woman in Barrow was fined £1000 for going the pub 25 minutes after getting a positive result 😡😡

Screenshot_20201009-173525_Facebook.jpg.c16864c4462dbe5964ae6fce2786a8fc.jpg

I wonder if she's a alcoholic,  is just really really thick ?.

1 hour ago, southeastpete said:

I really have to wonder why someone in their 70’s and vulnerable would be going to get their nails done during a pandemic...

Hey, don't you question these old people trying to meet their basic human rights. Remember the narrative; its the young being so selfish/ inconsiderate / reckless in daring to go to work and keep the economy going, get an education, or just enjoy their lives.

They should just be considerate and lock themselves away rather than risk cutting short the life of my granny (92 next month)

3 hours ago, treetree said:

Hey, don't you question these old people trying to meet their basic human rights. Remember the narrative; its the young being so selfish/ inconsiderate / reckless in daring to go to work and keep the economy going, get an education, or just enjoy their lives.

They should just be considerate and lock themselves away rather than risk cutting short the life of my granny (92 next month)

Bet she’s having house parties and all sorts. She was probably front and entering the blm riots....

(hope she’s ok really)

43 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

No you know some people who have been exposed to the flu and haven't become ill as their  immune  system fought it at first infection .

You think, to say everyone will catch CV19 is nonsense, just like saying everyone will catch the flu is.  

Flu viruses continually change over time. This constant changing enables the virus to evade the immune system, so that people are susceptible to the flu throughout life. This process works as follows: a person infected with a flu virus develops antibodies against that virus; as the virus changes, the "older" antibodies no longer recognizes the "newer" virus, and the person gets sick. The older antibodies can, however, provide partial protection against newer viruses.

4 minutes ago, ordnance said:

52 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Exactly you prove my point .thanks  

How do you figure that out. :hmm: How can you possibly know that ( No you know some people who have been exposed to the flu and haven't become ill as their  immune  system fought it at first infection ) I would be interested to see where you got that information from, maybe a link.  

Edited by ordnance

20 hours ago, Mice! said:

if your 70 and vulnerable you should be avoiding it.

The sensible thing is to do your best to avoid it, at present by sensible precautions, and with luck, in the future via a vaccine, either a single dose, or regularly (like flu).  That is what I hope to do.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The sensible thing is to do your best to avoid it, at present by sensible precautions, and with luck, in the future via a vaccine, either a single dose, or regularly (like flu).  That is what I hope to do.

Good plan and it would work 

if 

everyone stayed in there areas 

there’s not a lot of hope when people travel hundreds of miles to sit on a rammed beach 

1 minute ago, Old farrier said:

if 

there’s not a lot of hope when people travel hundreds of miles to sit on a rammed beach 

Well,

• some people either have no sense, or won't obey the law (or both)
  • some people believe it won't make them seriously ill, and so they won't pass it on, so why isolate?
  • some people believe that if they have it, why shouldn't others
  • some people believe it is all a hoax to enable Bill Gates (or Jeff Bezos or someone) to take us all over and inject us with mind altering drugs not vaccines
  • some people believe it is caused by 5G phone signals
  • some Chief Constables/Commissioners who are supposed to police the law are more interested in going down on one knee as a 'nod' to the memory of long past matters
  • quite a lot of people are using it as an opportunity to get rich by defrauding the support packages put in place
  • Sturgeon is playing games of who can call 'isolate' first
  • I could go on ........ and on ......

27 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Well,

• some people either have no sense, or won't obey the law (or both)
  • some people believe it won't make them seriously ill, and so they won't pass it on, so why isolate?
  • I could go on ........ and on ......

Yep you could go on and on, but if you haven't got it by now you're not going to, so let me add to your list;

- Some people (and growing numbers) object to Government ruling by decree to take away your freedoms and liberties, to treat you like a child, to ruin an economy and possibly the worst recession in history, plunging millions into despair, with growing numbers suffering mental health issues seeing suicide as the only way out. And all for a virus with a 0.2% mortality rate (thats if you actually believe the figures, which crumble under closer scrutiny), mostly causing death in the very elderly  or those with 2 serious other medical issues.

How much more do you think the economy can take of this. And its the 3conomy that allows us to have a civil society. You won't even want to walk down the street if that goes belly up, socially distanced or not.

36 minutes ago, treetree said:

but if you haven't got it by now you're not going to

That is complete rubbish - no evidence (or credible scientist) at all suggests that is the case.  If you haven't got it by now, you still have exactly the same chance of catching it as you have always had.  If you have had it - you (probably) won't get it again.

The governments intention was to keep the numbers of infected sufficiently low to prevent the NHS running out of beds/facilities - referred to as 'smoothing the peak' - something they achieved quite successfully, and keep the numbers infected within the NHS's capabilities until either a vaccine became available, or herd immunity was achieved by other means.  Sadly - for whatever reason, it looks like a second peak that threatens to swamp the NHS is coming and so the government are tightening restrictions again - and still with the intention of protecting the NHS capacity to allow people to get treated.

Some sectors are badly hit, some much less so.  That is the case whenever there is a major change in life - and I agree this is a major change, but you can't just pretend it isn't there and have life go on 'as normal'.

22 hours ago, southeastpete said:

I really have to wonder why someone in their 70’s and vulnerable would be going to get their nails done during a pandemic...

She takes pride in her appearance, doesn't drink, smoke or gamble. As a widow, her hair, nails and interacting with her grand children are things she takes pleasure in. Like most of us these have been curtailed but there comes a point where it's a personal choice around perceived risk / reward. I'm sure you are aware that overall well being is much more than physical health alone. This was going to be the first time she's had them done in over six months - the nail girl visits her as her own mum lives next door.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

That is complete rubbish - no evidence (or credible scientist) at all suggests that is the case.  If you haven't got it by now, you still have exactly the same chance of catching it as you have always had.  If you have had it - you (probably) won't get it again.

The governments intention was to keep the numbers of infected sufficiently low to prevent the NHS running out of beds/facilities - referred to as 'smoothing the peak' - something they achieved quite successfully, and keep the numbers infected within the NHS's capabilities until either a vaccine became available, or herd immunity was achieved by other means.  Sadly - for whatever reason, it looks like a second peak that threatens to swamp the NHS is coming and so the government are tightening restrictions again - and still with the intention of protecting the NHS capacity to allow people to get treated.

Some sectors are badly hit, some much less so.  That is the case whenever there is a major change in life - and I agree this is a major change, but you can't just pretend it isn't there and have life go on 'as normal'.

All of this about protecting the NHS is ********. They built those Nightingale hospitals that store idle before being mothballed and closed the NHS to anything but covid (an exaggeration but based upon some facts). A friend of mine has breast cancer. During lockdown the gap between her chemo was extended and the cancer has now spread to her liver. Would it have happened if the chemo was continued?  Who knows. My wife is waiting for a follow up consultation regarding a shadow on her eye. They said it is possible cancer. Unlikely but possible. Was offered an over the phone consultation (similar to her over the phone asthma review from our ‘closed’ GP). 

Covid deaths are headlines for some reason. Others aren’t. 

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

if 

Did you go to a beach? I assume not in which case you are probably safe. 

35 minutes ago, AVB said:

All of this about protecting the NHS is ********. They built those Nightingale hospitals that store idle before being mothballed and closed the NHS to anything but covid (an exaggeration but based upon some facts). A friend of mine has breast cancer. During lockdown the gap between her chemo was extended and the cancer has now spread to her liver. Would it have happened if the chemo was continued?  Who knows. My wife is waiting for a follow up consultation regarding a shadow on her eye. They said it is possible cancer. Unlikely but possible. Was offered an over the phone consultation (similar to her over the phone asthma review from our ‘closed’ GP). 

Covid deaths are headlines for some reason. Others aren’t. 

Did you go to a beach? I assume not in which case you are probably safe. 

I live on the beach so a bit hard to avoid the thousands that arrived 

hopefully your friend will get the treatment and gain a good result still waiting for the follow up and results on my Chimotherapy