Full lockdown again.

Walker570

5 minutes ago, AVB said:

I don’t know any that reduced prices but there were a lot less birds put down this season.  I’m also not sure keepers will keep on feeding birds. They obviously should but I am sure some will say “what’s the point” 

I think much will depend on circumstances.  Many small shoots who release a few hundred birds with low stocking density firstly can feed at a lower rate without great cost, and there is a reasonable amount of natural food around (so far certainly around me) this year.  Feeding is needed to keep the birds 'local' mainly.

Where many thousands of birds are released at very high density - there will be insufficient natural food - and feeding will be needed for welfare reasons.  I know some shoots where the food bill can be four figures a week at peak time.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, AVB said:

I don’t know any that reduced prices but there were a lot less birds put down this season.  I’m also not sure keepers will keep on feeding birds. They obviously should but I am sure some will say “what’s the point” 

I heard of two which reduced prices for unsold days, so how true it is I don’t know, but the vast majority of BIG local shoots days were paid for last season.  I’m assuming those cancelled days will roll over onto next season now. 
Again, majority of feed is paid for at seasons start and stored in silos, and the keepers won’t stint on feeding whether the birds are being shot or not. 
I don’t know if they’ll catch up cocks or not, given the circumstances. 

On our small Syndicate we've shot twice this year and still have plenty of birds about. We'll continue to feed them as there is a duty of care to the birds if they're being shot or not. I hope that all other shoots will do the same until sufficient natural food is available. The antis and MSM getting wind of starving game birds will be another nail in the coffin if shoots don't keep feeding.

For us not much changes with this lockdown, I had a positive test early December and other than for essentials we've barely left the house. Now we're onto home learning via Zoom with two junior school aged kids, alongside working from home. Luckily my wife as been placed on Furlough again otherwise home schooling would be unmanageable. It hasn't been the most productive day so far!

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

She signed up to work in the maternity ward obviously,  so to be working with expecting mothers and babies,  I've added the description because you obviously didn't realise what maternity means. 

😐 sorry I must have somehow skipped over that bit!

is there anything when you join the nhs that says, you join in this position but if as and when we need help elsewhere you can be moved? Most job descriptions often have a clause like that, your role is x,y,z, or any other tasks required by the business.

1 minute ago, southeastpete said:

😐 sorry I must have somehow skipped over that bit!

is there anything when you join the nhs that says, you join in this position but if as and when we need help elsewhere you can be moved? Most job descriptions often have a clause like that, your role is x,y,z, or any other tasks required by the business.

They obviously can move people because they have, but if you get moved into a role you didn't train for or want to do then you can leave, but in the case of someone working in Maternity that's a lot of training cost and time wasted.

13 minutes ago, shalfordninja33 said:

On our small Syndicate we've shot twice this year and still have plenty of birds about. We'll continue to feed them as there is a duty of care to the birds if they're being shot or not. I hope that all other shoots will do the same until sufficient natural food is available. The antis and MSM getting wind of starving game birds will be another nail in the coffin if shoots don't keep feeding.

For us not much changes with this lockdown, I had a positive test early December and other than for essentials we've barely left the house. Now we're onto home learning via Zoom with two junior school aged kids, alongside working from home. Luckily my wife as been placed on Furlough again otherwise home schooling would be unmanageable. It hasn't been the most productive day so far!

The first part of your reply? Wouldn't the birds simply spread out looking for food, I've always thought birds were fed to keep them on the shoot, they are technically a wild bird so I can't see how it could be a story, rough shooting next year year could be good.

The second part will be a concern for lots of parents,  I'm sure found with the last part that trying to teach your own kids isn't easy,  and I'm sure working from home just makes things worse.

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

The first part of your reply? Wouldn't the birds simply spread out looking for food, I've always thought birds were fed to keep them on the shoot, they are technically a wild bird so I can't see how it could be a story, rough shooting next year year could be good.

The second part will be a concern for lots of parents,  I'm sure found with the last part that trying to teach your own kids isn't easy,  and I'm sure working from home just makes things worse.

Birds learn where feeders are located; they may stray but often return at dusk when there is no feed available elsewhere. 
It doesn’t always work that way of course, scattered birds can wander a long way, which around here simply means they feed at another shoots feeding stations! 
Next seasons rough shoot depends on how well any wild birds fare during the summer. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Wouldn't the birds simply spread out looking for food, I've always thought birds were fed to keep them on the shoot, they are technically a wild bird so I can't see how it could be a story, rough shooting next year year could be good.

I think you are correct - in principle.  However - where a lot of birds have been released the local are cannot provide enough food and whilst some may stray enough to survive, many may not.

20 minutes ago, Mice! said:

According to Robert Halfon MP, chair of the Education Committee, an MP I have a lot of time and respect for, over 1 million children received less than one hour/week of teaching during the last lockdown. That is shocking (and I’m not getting drawn into blaming teachers, parents, the government etc) and I get angry at all of the ‘Karen’s’ out there who want schools closed “for the safety of the children” without regard for this. 

54 minutes ago, Scully said:

Birds learn where feeders are located; they may stray but often return at dusk when there is no feed available elsewhere. 
It doesn’t always work that way of course, scattered birds can wander a long way, which around here simply means they feed at another shoots feeding stations! 
Next seasons rough shoot depends on how well any wild birds fare during the summer. 🙂

46 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think you are correct - in principle.  However - where a lot of birds have been released the local are cannot provide enough food and whilst some may stray enough to survive, many may not.

I forget that they will return to where the food should be,  normally. 

The only thing for it is the beaters should take their exercise on the shoots take 4 or 5 birds and wander home, cocks only of course. 😉

40 minutes ago, AVB said:

According to Robert Halfon MP, chair of the Education Committee, an MP I have a lot of time and respect for, over 1 million children received less than one hour/week of teaching during the last lockdown. That is shocking (and I’m not getting drawn into blaming teachers, parents, the government etc) and I get angry at all of the ‘Karen’s’ out there who want schools closed “for the safety of the children” without regard for this. 

It must be someone's fault, obviously the kids are supposed to be in school but if they're not then who should be teaching them at home, even if it's just the basics. 

I'm thinking of primary level here, obviously once the kids get to high school the subjects get more involved.

Just now, Mice! said:

The only thing for it is the beaters should take their exercise on the shoots take 4 or 5 birds and wander home, cocks only of course. 😉

It must be someone's fault, obviously the kids are supposed to be in school but if they're not then who should be teaching them at home, even if it's just the basics. 

I'm thinking of primary level here, obviously once the kids get to high school the subjects get more involved.

Parents will say that they are not being given the material to teach with, teachers will say that they can only do so much to make pupils attend virtual lessons. Then you got the challenges of parents working, not enough space for kids, internet access, laptops/tablets etc. I don’t know hence not wanting to get drawn into that debate. What I do know is that having so many children getting inadequate education is shocking and will haunt us for years to come which is why children being in school must be a priority. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Yes they would go and find food if there was insufficient food locally. For smaller numbers of birds released I'm sure this would be find. A bigger concern for me would be on the larger more commercial shoots that potentially have a much larger number than the land could provide for. Antis will pick up on any negative an exploit it. We have an eye on next season already and intend to keep feeding the current stock on the basis that potentially fewer birds could be released for the 21/22 season.  

The Mrs and kids seem be doing pretty well in the scheme of things, IT issues have settled down somewhat! I'm lucky with work in that I'll just start earlier and finish later to make sure everything is covered, I'll disappear into another room for meetings. I feel for trades and other people that have to leave the house for work along with having children to manage. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

23 minutes ago, Mice! said:

17 minutes ago, AVB said:

Parents will say that they are not being given the material to teach with, teachers will say that they can only do so much to make pupils attend virtual lessons. Then you got the challenges of parents working, not enough space for kids, internet access, laptops/tablets etc. I don’t know hence not wanting to get drawn into that debate. What I do know is that having so many children getting inadequate education is shocking and will haunt us for years to come which is why children being in school must be a priority. 

It certainly hasn't been easy, we were living and working in one room of a rental house from last March to July whist our family home was having major building work done, the completion of which was delayed by 6 months during the first lockdown. 

For my youngest her school were really good in emailing out learning packs every week, my eldest's school didn't send send out learning packs as often so we made a point for both of them of downloading age appropriate Maths and English as well as ordering KS books, colouring, stickers books etc.

We told both of them that reading, colouring/practical work, cooking painting and being outside in the Garden is free and unlimited, if they were indoors we got them to do 2-3hrs of academic work every day. 

One benefit is that the two of them are now much closer than they were before and they also have practical skills in the kitchen that a 7 and 11 year old wouldn't have done at school. 

4 minutes ago, shalfordninja33 said:

For my youngest her school were really good in emailing out learning packs every week, my eldest's school didn't send send out learning packs as often so we made a point for both of them of downloading age appropriate Maths and English as well as ordering KS books, colouring, stickers books etc.

We told both of them that reading, colouring/practical work, cooking painting and being outside in the Garden is free and unlimited, if they were indoors we got them to do 2-3hrs of academic work every day. 

One benefit is that the two of them are now much closer than they were before and they also have practical skills in the kitchen that a 7 and 11 year old wouldn't have done at school. 

We were very similar,  luckily the wife was off throughout and did all the Math, English and some science along with projects if they wanted to,  it wouldn't have gone nearly as smoothly if I'd had to have stayed home and done the home learning. 

I think so long as you cover Math reading,  English and get them doing something creative everything should be fine, just sitting on a tablet or console isn't fine.

19 minutes ago, Mice! said:

We were very similar,  luckily the wife was off throughout and did all the Math, English and some science along with projects if they wanted to,  it wouldn't have gone nearly as smoothly if I'd had to have stayed home and done the home learning. 

I think so long as you cover Math reading,  English and get them doing something creative everything should be fine, just sitting on a tablet or console isn't fine.

Agreed, there have definitely been occasions we're electronic devices have been used more than they should, work backing up, meetings with builders etc. Needs must on occasion.

I think having a plan in place is the main thing, it might not get followed all the time but having it there as a reference definitely helps. 

2 hours ago, AVB said:

I’ve done 5 virtual lessons on Teams today, each one lasting an hour (roughly a 15min intro, 40min individual work task where I’m available for Q&A assistance via the chat thingy on Teams, 5mins plenary).  For each lesson, I had around 75% online attendance, which isn’t ideal but could be worse. 
The problem I have is the lack of resources some students have at home and parents unable or unwilling to assist with the tasks set. We can’t differentiate too much with what we set, but it is a little galling when parents say they can’t understand the work set. 

As for being in school, it’s just too risky. With the new variant proliferating, I have no desire to be in a small room with 30 unmasked teenagers with just my face mask, hand sanitiser & open windows for protection. I’ve had colleagues seriously ill with C19, and there’s no way I fancy a dose. 

Edited by Bumble

36 minutes ago, Bumble said:

We can’t differentiate too much with what we set, but it is a little galling when parents say they can’t understand the work set. 

75% attendance, are you presuming that 100% of students own computers? I would have classed 75% as successful under the circumstances. 

Why would a parent necessarily understand something set for teenagers?

It's difficult enough understanding some of the work set for junior school children.

Methods of instruction differ and presentations change over time. Certainly that which I was taught at school can’t be compared with that which is taught now.

Most parents are not qualified as teachers or have the resources you have, or spend time doing lesson plans. Many may not even have the time if they're working or have other children to supervise.

I think teachers presume too much of children never mind expecting parents however keen and helpful to know that which you have the answers too.

Maybe you should look to the work you set, is it practical in the time available. Is it easily digested. Is is presented in an informative, practical and entertaining manner. How would you respond to the same questions and delivery without the answers.

How many times have you yourself sat listening to some dreary teacher boringly drone on and end up counting the times they say errmm instead of listening to the subject.

Its my understanding that a teacher that fails to get the subject matter across in the required period of time should first look at the methods of instruction, the person delivering that instruction and not the student. 

🤔

There’s only so much planning you can do with less than 24hrs notice. We’d planned for 2 weeks of online followed by a return to classroom learning. When this changed last night, so did the entire projects (for KS3 at least). 

Keeping a lesson interesting yet accessible to all in a mixed ability class, deliverable online in a tight time frame and with limited tech available for students is a virtually impossible task, but one that we are trying to achieve. Nobody is asking parents to be trained to the same level as teachers, but I’d expect an adult to understand a task set for a Yr7, especially with clear instructions attached. 

45 minutes ago, Bumble said:

There’s only so much planning you can do with less than 24hrs notice. We’d planned for 2 weeks of online followed by a return to classroom learning. When this changed last night, so did the entire projects (for KS3 at least). 

Keeping a lesson interesting yet accessible to all in a mixed ability class, deliverable online in a tight time frame and with limited tech available for students is a virtually impossible task, but one that we are trying to achieve. Nobody is asking parents to be trained to the same level as teachers, but I’d expect an adult to understand a task set for a Yr7, especially with clear instructions attached. 

The key question is whether you have finished your tin of quality street yet!!!! Only joking.

Clearly some schools are doing a better job than others. Some parents are reporting that their children only get sent the equivalent of one A4 sheet of work/week. My children’s school has upped its game and are providing a full timetable of zoom lessons, excluding games obviously. 

I also notice that the BBC are going to be broadcasting educational programmes which is a good idea. Who remembers the daytime school programmes from years ago?

Edited by AVB
Added about BBC

1 hour ago, AVB said:

also notice that the BBC are going to be broadcasting educational programmes which is a good idea. Who remembers the daytime school programmes from years ago

There is loads of stuff online, it all depends if parents can be bothered to look for it?