I have been crocked!!! - Diary

ph5172

As a bit of background. 
Both my partner and I are what is deemed as ‘critical workers’ we have a strict understanding that as soon as we get in from work clothes are off and straight in the shower no matter what time of day or night. 
Liquid sanitiser is used before meals and at regular intervals. 
house cleaned and aired. 
we spend a good portion of our time as passing ships due to shift patterns. 

My partner takes lateral flow tests twice a week, unfortunately I am not under the same regime. 

On Sunday my partner did their usual test - negative. 
Fast forward to Wednesday and weekly test 2 cones back POSITIVE. 
As we all know these tests can more often than not give a false reading so I did one - Negative. 

Partner reports positive result and we start to isolate. Partner goes for walk through PCR test. 

Following day this comes back as Positive, obviously we are isolating anyhow and partner reports feeling ‘a bit rough’ as a soak test I do a lateral test - positive!!!

manage to get a walk through PCR booked for the following day. 

Wake up with a cough, brilliant. Test done and results back as Positive. 

Start to experience muscle pain similar to being in a car crash!

We then have the joy that is track and trace. To sum it up - between 8am and 7pm I had 20 phonecalls and 50 text messages. Yes you read that correct. 

whilst on the phone in one 15min call I had 12 text messages and 2 calls from the same track and trace number. 

The system cannot recognise contacts in the same address and teach them as separate. And each of those if return a result are treated as a new case and require a call from track and trace. 

My partner was getting calls to state they are a close contact of me and then getting a call as she has a positive result to ask who she has had close contact with. 

one phonecall was to chase me up as a close contact of ...... myself!!

Each phonecall gave a different self isolation date - so far I have the choice between 4 days with the one after apparently overwriting the one before even if shorter. 

Online links do not work. 

it got to the point where I have blocked the number!

how can a system be so broken!

so there we are!!!

the diary is as follows and I hope it may help some people

the days and symptoms maybe slightly out of order as I cannot recall exactly 

D-Day - partner has positive lateral flow - me negative 

1 - partner positive PCR they are feeling ‘rough’ - me positive lateral flow 

2 - partner in bed all day with flu like symptoms

3 - me positive PCR and cough

4 - partner flu like symptoms and me muscle aches

5 - partner a little better and me severe muscle aches

1 minute ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So you are in it together, when you realise how many people they are dealing with I suppose some mistakes are to be expected.

Yep. I spoke to one of the call handlers and they said the system works on numbers (test and contact) so it cannot tie up addresses. 
they said it has been like that for a year or so. 
For a family of 4 he said the system could generate upto 256 ‘contact’ calls as people living in the same house are classed as contacts of each other so each person is called as a contact and asked to declare the others as contacts. This also repeats its self again if each one tests positive 

22 hours ago, ph5172 said:

For a family of 4 he said the system could generate upto 256 ‘contact’ calls as people living in the same house are classed as contacts of each other so each person is called as a contact and asked to declare the others as contacts. This also repeats its self again if each one tests positive 

Oh my Deity of Choice!!! An extra hour of development work would have ironed that one out - even without addresses - amazing that this got through testing!!

Yes, absolutely no excuse for this cluster.

If a private company or individual was harassing you to this extent there would likely be criminal consequences as a result. But because it’s the government combined with our beatified national healthcare provider...

On 07/03/2021 at 12:25, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So you are in it together, when you realise how many people they are dealing with I suppose some mistakes are to be expected.

Absolutely not, even one occurrence of the above reported behaviour is unacceptable 

I have to ask .....

why take another test ? If your positive you need to isolate anyway with out more tests. All that’s happened is 4 positive tests instead of one ???  Unless it’s required for your job ? 
I’m just a joiner I’ll add so no medical knowledge besides masking tape and toilet roll 😂

on another note . My mates wife had it and he tested 5 days later negative. 

Speedy recovery tho 👍

It would be better if they came round and put an electronic tag on you and be done with it. Go outside your home and you will do the rest in detention.

My son was given covid by somebody who was on track and trace five times over. (five workmates in the same office had tested positive and she was supposed to be in self isolation x5) but she decided it was optional and didn't.

Hopefully, when all this is over some serious resources will be spent on setting up a proper track and trace technology, fully tested and commissioned because what nobody seems to be picking up on is the incredible human and financial cost of this floundering  in lost months of wishy washy "try to avoid" advice which is clearly not working.

People are still being seen on the Piccadilly line from Heathrow Airport  going into London every day with suitcases. Explain that to me? Thats not self isolating 

If this happens again, and there is no reason to believe it wont, bring down the drawbridge hard and kill the spread stone dead once and for all in the shortest possible time and then get back to normal

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

I have to ask .....

why take another test ? If your positive you need to isolate anyway with out more tests. All that’s happened is 4 positive tests instead of one   Unless it’s required for your job ? 
I’m just a joiner I’ll add so no medical knowledge besides masking tape and toilet roll 😂

on another note . My mates wife had it and he tested 5 days later negative. 

Speedy recovery tho 👍

The home tests aren't as accurate so you test then if its positive you then have to do the proper NHS test.

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

But you still have to isolate anyway don’t you ?  

The wife is doing two home tests a week, they have to report to her school, pass or fail.

If they fail they book a proper NHS test and have to isolate until that result comes back.

10 hours ago, team tractor said:

But you still have to isolate anyway don’t you ?  

The system states that a lateral flow result obtained in a home setting needs following up by a PCR test. 

A lateral flow taken at a testing site does not. 

unfortunately that’s the system 

as someone who has had / got covid I would take another test in the same way for a definitive answer. 
and yes before you ask it does make you feel rough! 

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Well that is a question in itself

You would hope so via the employers covid reporting system. 
for those taken at a testing site these are reported in the same way as pcr tests. 

Edited by ph5172

24 minutes ago, ph5172 said:

The system states that a lateral flow result obtained in a home setting needs following up by a PCR test. 

A lateral flow taken at a testing site does not. 

unfortunately that’s the system 

I never knew that 👍

I swear I had it last January. Even my nuts were hurting me that much I’ve had to have tests on them . 
how are you today ? 

8 hours ago, team tractor said:

I never knew that 👍

I swear I had it last January. Even my nuts were hurting me that much I’ve had to have tests on them . 
how are you today ? 

Awful today. 
as I said the only way to describe it us having the flu straight after a car crash. 

hopefully coming out the end. My partner is loads loads better so by my reconing I’m about 24-48 hours behind