Jump to content

Twin cab pickup-Which One


lakeside1000
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I have to move up from the Suzuki Vitara to a big motor twin cab pickup as I need to tow a caravan but keep the off road abilities for all my pigeon shooting , as usual price is a big factor but looking at something age wise around 10 to 12 years, please tell me your experiences, disappointments and recommendations, If you have or know of a decent one for sale near to me in Norfolk please let me know,

Looking forward to your comments , thanks for your time 👍😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on the size of your caravan, but I believe the best all rounder is the Isuzu D max. I have thought about going down this route myself as I also tow a Bailey Pegasus 462, but taking into account the servicing and running costs of a "commercial" vehicle, purely as a towing tool with very little other purpose other than the occasional trip to the tip or builders merchants, for me personally, it did not make financial sense.

However I also needed the "off road" capabilities of a towing vehicle for my fishing and shooting in a vehicle that was also practical for family use. 

In the end, I decided on an SUV, and I went for the Dacia Duster Prestige 1500 diesel, if your not a "badge snob" these are without doubt the best value for money 4x4s on the road today.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, London Best said:

I think my friend’s Duster is a very useful vehicle.

But, having driven it, I bet it would struggle like hell with any caravan.

Is it the 1200 petrol model? they are a bit under powered. Mine pulls a biggish 2 berth caravan no problem at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simple thing is any pickup will handle the caravan. The best advice is buy the best condition one you can with the best history.  At that age they can be very good or very bad but the plus points are less emissions reducing gubbins to go wrong 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, al4x said:

Simple thing is any pickup will handle the caravan. The best advice is buy the best condition one you can with the best history.  At that age they can be very good or very bad but the plus points are less emissions reducing gubbins to go wrong 

Yes that's true, any pickup will tow a caravan, but there are certain caveats to think about, such as GVW restrictions, suspension bounce and caravan chassis damage due to the trucks harder suspension, caravan nose load etc. etc.

It is also a fact that many private and CCC affiliated caravan sites will not allow commercial tow vehicles onto their sites, one of the reasons for this is the lightness of the rear end of a pickup truck naturally reduces traction on grass sites that are wet, this same problem can also manifest on wet roads and roundabouts.

then there is also the fact that some caravan manufactures will void any warrantee if it is found that a defect or damage was likely caused by the use of a pickup tow vehicle, also, some caravan insurance companies frown on pickup's as well.    

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Tonka54 said:

Yes that's true, any pickup will tow a caravan, but there are certain caveats to think about, such as GVW restrictions, suspension bounce and caravan chassis damage due to the trucks harder suspension, caravan nose load etc. etc.

It is also a fact that many private and CCC affiliated caravan sites will not allow commercial tow vehicles onto their sites, one of the reasons for this is the lightness of the rear end of a pickup truck naturally reduces traction on grass sites that are wet, this same problem can also manifest on wet roads and roundabouts.

then there is also the fact that some caravan manufactures will void any warrantee if it is found that a defect or damage was likely caused by the use of a pickup tow vehicle, also, some caravan insurance companies frown on pickup's as well.    

 

AND........you will look like a traveller!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tonka54 said:

Yes that's true, any pickup will tow a caravan, but there are certain caveats to think about, such as GVW restrictions, suspension bounce and caravan chassis damage due to the trucks harder suspension, caravan nose load etc. etc.

It is also a fact that many private and CCC affiliated caravan sites will not allow commercial tow vehicles onto their sites, one of the reasons for this is the lightness of the rear end of a pickup truck naturally reduces traction on grass sites that are wet, this same problem can also manifest on wet roads and roundabouts.

then there is also the fact that some caravan manufactures will void any warrantee if it is found that a defect or damage was likely caused by the use of a pickup tow vehicle, also, some caravan insurance companies frown on pickup's as well.    

 

Have you had a pickup and a caravan?

We have for the last 10 years or so, never been pulled up for being a commercial vehicle mine isn’t sign written but it’s never been mentioned. Never struggled due to weight in the back as you gain some from the nose weight and it’s never unloaded when towing the caravan as so much travels in the back. Traction on roundabouts is ridiculous you just don’t find it an issue, if you do you are really towing badly.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, another vote for the Isuzu Dmax. I’ve had 3, all from new, but the first two did 90000+ each without problems and my current one is 86000+ no problems apart from a few niggles, which you would expect during more than 250000 miles. They have seriously good off road capabilities and mine are off road at least once a week and often more. My auto averages 32 mpg.

5AFBA199-FDFF-40C0-A493-D99161B8A1E3.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the pickups have their issues to one degree or another. Just done 3 hilux that all had blocked catalytic convertors due to the 5th diesel injector in the exhaust not working . Toyota v expensive to buy and repair. Navara chassis are still an issue along with chocolate timing chains. Ford ranger 2.2 eats turbos .3.2 engines self destruct at about 60k. Full body removal to change engine. And the list goes on. Isuzu d max are OK but not the newer 1.9 diesel. L200 series 5 2.4 aren't too bad. Like I say they all have issues but the price premium of the dearer pickups are no longer justifiable. You pays your money and make your choice....Good luck 👍 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, al4x said:

Have you had a pickup and a caravan?

We have for the last 10 years or so, never been pulled up for being a commercial vehicle mine isn’t sign written but it’s never been mentioned. Never struggled due to weight in the back as you gain some from the nose weight and it’s never unloaded when towing the caravan as so much travels in the back. Traction on roundabouts is ridiculous you just don’t find it an issue, if you do you are really towing badly.  
 

 

Was going to reply to the same post but this reply is almost exactly what I was going to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, al4x said:

Have you had a pickup and a caravan?

We have for the last 10 years or so, never been pulled up for being a commercial vehicle mine isn’t sign written but it’s never been mentioned. Never struggled due to weight in the back as you gain some from the nose weight and it’s never unloaded when towing the caravan as so much travels in the back. Traction on roundabouts is ridiculous you just don’t find it an issue, if you do you are really towing badly.  
 

 

Caravan yes, pickup no. As I said in my earlier post, I had thought about a pickup but after doing some research decided on an SUV.

So my comments on traction in the wet were based on personal research not personal experience, I was just pointing out to the OP that some independent "reviews" have highlighted this as an issue that, some have experienced, possibly because they have not balanced the loading properly. The fact that you have never had an issue does not mean that nobody will, and as such it's a consideration.

On the point of pickup's and commercials being turned away from some touring sites, I am speaking from both personal and research experience.

I can only assume that you have been very lucky with the sites you have visited, but in my neck of the woods there are quite a few sites that will not except pickups or commercial vehicles, admittedly, most are referring to "signwritten work vehicles", but not all. (see attached)

  

 

sites.JPG

Edited by Tonka54
Link to comment
Share on other sites

a bullet proof mazda b2500 or a wlt ford ranger  same vehicle        mine has done two hundred and thirty thousand  miles    drags a builders trailer or caravan ok   doesnt use oil or water  it just keeps going easy to fix       my lad has an amorock auto its a big old buss for a 2.2l engine its constantly changing gear  without towing    a friend had a great wall and loved it    however tools in the back or towing     kicked it many times aft 3 yrs gone     no grunt       lads with many other double cabs would not have then after 3 years  ok without warranty as they couldn't afford the problems       i like older well looked after vehicles  built to last with grunt     anyone can fix      a discovery 2    a good one should not be ruled out   i can tell you how to crank it up      will pull better than a 3.9 v8    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

Will this not tow a caravan then?

Very likely yes, but if I am away on extended trips with all the fishing gear I need more space, plus when I am out shooting I tend to take everything including the kitchen sink so although I love the Vitara and its never let me down , its now 17 years old and gets more expensive each MOT so its time for a change anyway.😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just wouldn't get something thinking it has to be able to tow, I take my caravan away once or twice a year, for that an estate car works fine and is a lot cheaper to run the rest of the time than a pick up,  with the seats down you'd have loads of space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I just wouldn't get something thinking it has to be able to tow, I take my caravan away once or twice a year, for that an estate car works fine and is a lot cheaper to run the rest of the time than a pick up,  with the seats down you'd have loads of space.

Your right ,I just fancied something with lots of grunt, but as long as I have good off road an estate would do, probably cheaper on insurance and fuel as well,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

probably cheaper on insurance and fuel as well,

Maybe not a big difference on insurance but definitely cheaper on fuel. My existing pick up gets 26mpg on general driving and 22mgp ish whilst towing our caravan (swift challenger 574). My old one got 18mpg on general driving and a pittyful 13mpg whilst towing  🙈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Tonka54 said:

So my comments on traction in the wet were based on personal research not personal experience, I was just pointing out to the OP that some independent "reviews" have highlighted this as an issue that, some have experienced, possibly because they have not balanced the loading properly. The fact that you have never had an issue does not mean that nobody will, and as such it's a consideration.

If you have decent tyres traction is not a problem, however the best tyres for wet grass are not the same best tyres for wet roads. I have Grabber AT and don't have problems on wet grass, if there is ant slipping just engage 4wd and not much will stop me, have actually recovered a duster whilst whilst still hitched to its caravan which was stuck on a slightly hilly campsite, just told him to leave it in neutral and just steer to follow me. The ATs can be a bit tail happy in the wet if you done expect it, you just need to remember not to accelerate too hard coming off roundabouts or tight corners and all is fine.     

20 hours ago, Tonka54 said:

On the point of pickup's and commercials being turned away from some touring sites, I am speaking from both personal and research experience.

I can only assume that you have been very lucky with the sites you have visited, but in my neck of the woods there are quite a few sites that will not except pickups or commercial vehicles, admittedly, most are referring to "signwritten work vehicles", but not all.

I have never been turned away from a campsite in a pick up, whilst they are officially a commercial every place I have asked say they only don't allow most vans and especially transit tippers! One site said if they didn't allow pick ups they would be turning away about 15% of their business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/11/2021 at 10:27, lakeside1000 said:

Thankyou all so far, very useful comments, my own research seems to indicate the Navara and Hi Lux as the top two options, now I just need to find a decent one 👍😁

At 10-12 years be very very careful if you go down the Navara route. That age are well in the rusty chassis side and Nissan bought so many back after the chassis failed. They have stopped doing it now so if you have a problem then basically you have a scrap vehicle. Hilux’s are fine but expensive 

 

Stumpy that is our findings as well, never had it mentioned but then the pickup is fairly new and not a work vehicle in the tree surgeon sense…..

 

Edited by al4x
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, stumpy69 said:

Maybe not a big difference on insurance but definitely cheaper on fuel. My existing pick up gets 26mpg on general driving and 22mgp ish whilst towing our caravan (swift challenger 574). My old one got 18mpg on general driving and a pittyful 13mpg whilst towing  🙈

That's what's always puts me off a pick up,  just driving to work would cost a fortune. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...