Covid - it’s all over.

Lloyd90

13 hours ago, ordnance said:

Rubbish, if someone is living in a house and tests positive and isolates from the rest of the family, they are less likely to infect them. I know people that have tested positive isolated and no one else in the family were infected.  Its not rocket science the less time you spend with a infected person less chance of being infected. 

Rubbish, I know people that have tested positive and not isolated within the house and no one else in the house was infected.

Seems it is more complicated than rocket science.

Edited by Newbie to this

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my two penneth - without quoting anyone's statements.

Our youngest was cracking during lockdown and got predominantly A*'s in his GCSE's.

However, our eldest is another factor - he is a clever lad, but very quiet (shy), keeps himself to himself, and doesn't cope well with failure/pressure etc. (but my wife doesn't recognize this - I personally think he is partly on the spectrum) and because he was struggling he stopped attending on line but to us we were just getting "Fine". He failed two of his A levels and just scraped one. We have had him under counselling (privately but was partly sabotaged my his mothers failure to face up to what I believe he has) and he is re-sitting his second year of A levels but he hasn't really engaged with it so looks like it was a waste. It was a shame that his school didn't get in touch until it was too late and the damage had been done and they haven't done anything to support him since and as he has been put into a year lower where he doesn't know anybody.

He has got a part time job since November where he started as Christmas staff in a Supermarket but he has been kept on. At first it was a struggle with him for going and there was a few hiccups but he has now started to thrive and his confidence is increasing all the time. 

TBH - It is heartbreaking to see 😞

5 hours ago, discobob said:

Just my two penneth - without quoting anyone's statements.

Our youngest was cracking during lockdown and got predominantly A*'s in his GCSE's.

However, our eldest is another factor - he is a clever lad, but very quiet (shy), keeps himself to himself, and doesn't cope well with failure/pressure etc. (but my wife doesn't recognize this - I personally think he is partly on the spectrum) and because he was struggling he stopped attending on line but to us we were just getting "Fine". He failed two of his A levels and just scraped one. We have had him under counselling (privately but was partly sabotaged my his mothers failure to face up to what I believe he has) and he is re-sitting his second year of A levels but he hasn't really engaged with it so looks like it was a waste. It was a shame that his school didn't get in touch until it was too late and the damage had been done and they haven't done anything to support him since and as he has been put into a year lower where he doesn't know anybody.

He has got a part time job since November where he started as Christmas staff in a Supermarket but he has been kept on. At first it was a struggle with him for going and there was a few hiccups but he has now started to thrive and his confidence is increasing all the time. 

TBH - It is heartbreaking to see 😞

I feel for you. Everyone worries about all their kids at varying points and anyone who says it’s all rosey is lying or really doesn’t know children.

I saw a mate last night to catch up. A mutual friends son’s best mate had just topped himself - outwardly fine, sporty, high achiever and all that.

We’ve got years on this planet under our belt and so can work stuff out and through in our heads but we never really know what children are thinking or feeling or how events are inwardly affecting them.

Best of luck with it - things tend to get better with the weather - all outlooks change.

Edited by Mungler

10 hours ago, ordnance said:

If you think the common cold poses the same risk to a vulnerable person as Covid fine. I don't think you will get many doctors to agree with, you but then what would they know.

The way i would look at it is I have every right to take my chances with Covid my health and carry on as normal before Covid, I do not have to the right to take that decision / risk for someone else who i live with and who is being careful because they are extremely clinically vulnerable and bring Covid into the house and infect them.   So i would continue to take the recommended precautions ( that are still in place ) there are no grantees but i would do my best to avoid infection.  For example in work there is a small unventilated are where around 10 employees squashed in together take their lunch, Its no big deal for me to avoid that and take my lunch in the van. 

Then there you go, that’s your answer! 🤷‍♂️
No one is denying you or anyone in that position from doing just that! Wouldn’t someone in that position with a vulnerable dependant already be taking similar precautions? No one is suggesting that anyone with vulnerable dependants should sit in an enclosed space with ten other colleagues while that have bait! The idea is ridiculous! 
You really are clutching at straws now; none of what you have suggested is any valid or justifiable reason why those who can, shouldn’t just get on with their lives. 
This latest bout of covid really is just a cold ( ask the Queen )  so my suggestion ( and the suggestion of the governments advisors it would seem ) would be that if you are vulnerable to the extent that a cold virus will hit you or a family member hard, then take precautions just as you did prior to and during the pandemic. 
The vulnerable and their dependants will carry on as before, as will the unaffected. 

4 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is expected to be about £3 to 5 per test, not £30 - 50

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10535837/Time-Covid-Boris-unveils-new-strategy.html

They are currently charging £30-50 for the exact same tests for a ‘fit to fly’ cert. I’ve had to do 2 to fly different places and they’re no different to the tests you do at home. 

We will have to wait and see, but I still think people won’t bother with them anyway. 

Even if they’re only £5… you’ll have to buy them in a multiple pack, like current they come in a pack of 5-10 or something. 

People won’t pay it. 

I said to a bloke last night it’s all over, people won’t pay to test. He said he never tested anyway. There’s a lot of peoples out there who feel the same. 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Then there you go, that’s your answer! 🤷‍♂️
No one is denying you or anyone in that position from doing just that! Wouldn’t someone in that position with a vulnerable dependant already be taking similar precautions? No one is suggesting that anyone with vulnerable dependants should sit in an enclosed space with ten other colleagues while that have bait! The idea is ridiculous! 
You really are clutching at straws now; none of what you have suggested is any valid or justifiable reason why those who can, shouldn’t just get on with their lives. 
This latest bout of covid really is just a cold ( ask the Queen )  so my suggestion ( and the suggestion of the governments advisors it would seem ) would be that if you are vulnerable to the extent that a cold virus will hit you or a family member hard, then take precautions just as you did prior to and during the pandemic. 
The vulnerable and their dependants will carry on as before, as will the unaffected. 

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

If not now, how long should we wait for things to be ramped down?

Anyone who believes they are vulnerable has every right to wear a mask or isolate.

But NOT at the expense of getting the country back up and running.

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

They are currently charging £30-50 for the exact same tests for a ‘fit to fly’ cert. I’ve had to do 2 to fly different places and they’re no different to the tests you do at home. 

We will have to wait and see, but I still think people won’t bother with them anyway. 

Even if they’re only £5… you’ll have to buy them in a multiple pack, like current they come in a pack of 5-10 or something. 

People won’t pay it. 

I said to a bloke last night it’s all over, people won’t pay to test. He said he never tested anyway. There’s a lot of peoples out there who feel the same. 

All spot on.

Everything is going to get a lot better and quicker now, especially with the better weather - I just think people's immune systems perk up in sunshine and when they feel happier / less anxious. By summer most sane countries will have packed it all in, especially those with a tourist industry.

The countries hanging on to what appears to me to be Marshall law / varying states of emergency cannot be said to be doing so for medical reasons now. It's either that some politicians have nailed themselves to a cross they can't or won't get down from, but with every other country that returns to normal (and without bodies piled in the streets) the dafter and more unreasonably authoritarian they appear.

I can only assume that the Australian, New Zealand and Canadian versions of state media / the BBC are still pumping fear and doom to the population to keep them scared and indoors. But why? Why prolong something so damaging (socially and economically) and medically unnecessary? Answers on a post card or at the next general election please.

I understand that the chap who successfully fought lock-downs in Sweden is now seen as a national hero, and I wonder what the likes of Oz, NZ and Canada will make of their once much vaunted leaders when they all realize they are the last to become free again and that they, their children and their children's children will all be paying for their prolonged state of lock-down.

On boring matters of money, anyone else got a really uneasy feeling about a global economic collapse coming over the horizon?

10 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Rubbish, I know people that have tested positive and not isolated within the house and no one else in the house was infected.

Seems it is more complicated than rocket science.

Its not complicated someone could have a cold living in a house and no one catch it or everyone could catch it, but its still not rocket science to know that less contact with a infected person the less chance of catching their cold / virus's. 

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I don't know if that is the same test?  Might be for a PCR?

Boots will be £2.50 apparently.  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10538349/Boots-start-selling-Covid-tests-SIX-POUNDS-tomorrow.html

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

People won’t pay it. 

IF people are worried about their vulnerable relatives (which is the most common reason I have heard for people wanting to keep testing) £2.50, or the price of a Starbucks coffee hardly seems excessive.

Then there you go, that’s your answer! 🤷‍♂️

Why are you making it up as you go along its not really just a cold, where are you getting this from. The common cold doesn't put thousands in hospital and ICUs. I am curious why are you comparing Covid with the cold, do you really believe that or is a case burying your head in the sand believing things that make you feel better .

As of February 15, 2022, 12,092 confirmed COVID-19 patients were in hospital in the United Kingdom.

Edited by ordnance

29 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Why are you making it up as you go along its not really just a cold, where are you getting this from. The common cold doesn't put thousands in hospital and ICUs. I am curious why are you comparing Covid with the cold, do you really believe that or is a case burying your head in the sand believing things that make you feel better .

I really don’t know what point it is you’re trying to make, or what it is you want anyone to do!
I’ve had my fill of this now; we’re just going round and round in circles and you obviously don’t want to use common sense, so this may well be my final input to this. 
Everyone I know who has had covid since New Year’s Eve, ( and some before ) and believe me I know a lot, has said that this has been no worse than a cold ( the Queen herself is reported to be experiencing mild cold symptoms ) with some saying they have had worse colds, myself included. A 72 year old woman in the village told me last year that she has had worse colds and has had all her jabs including booster, but refuses the annual flu jab as it makes her ill. 🤷‍♂️
Now obviously there will be those whom this mild virus variant will hit hard, namely the vulnerable, as I’ve already said. 
The statistics are showing that hospitalisations are down, as are HDU cases, as are deaths, and not just by a small margin. 
So once again, and hopefully this will sink in this time, if anyone is vulnerable ( or even if they’re not, but frightened of contracting the virus ) then they can take all the precautions they feel they need to, to reduce the risks, just as the vulnerable always have and will possibly always have to. That’s a fact of life and just how it is I’m afraid. The rest of us MUST get on with our lives because it isn’t necessary, practical, fair or even reasonable for others not at risk, to pussyfoot around others on the basis of ‘what ifs?’ 

This is going round and round in circles and the doom mongers refusing to give up on their pandemic.

It doesn’t actually matter now. The government has given up on the pandemic and that is that as they say.

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

I really don’t know what point it is you’re trying to make, or what it is you want anyone to do!
I’ve had my fill of this now; we’re just going round and round in circles and you obviously don’t want to use common sense, so this may well be my final input to this. 
Everyone I know who has had covid since New Year’s Eve, ( and some before ) and believe me I know a lot, has said that this has been no worse than a cold ( the Queen herself is reported to be experiencing mild cold symptoms ) with some saying they have had worse colds, myself included. A 72 year old woman in the village told me last year that she has had worse colds and has had all her jabs including booster, but refuses the annual flu jab as it makes her ill. 🤷‍♂️
Now obviously there will be those whom this mild virus variant will hit hard, namely the vulnerable, as I’ve already said. 
The statistics are showing that hospitalisations are down, as are HDU cases, as are deaths, and not just by a small margin. 
So once again, and hopefully this will sink in this time, if anyone is vulnerable ( or even if they’re not, but frightened of contracting the virus ) then they can take all the precautions they feel they need to, to reduce the risks, just as the vulnerable always have and will possibly always have to. That’s a fact of life and just how it is I’m afraid. The rest of us MUST get on with our lives because it isn’t necessary, practical, fair or even reasonable for others not at risk, to pussyfoot around others on the basis of ‘what ifs?’ 

Here here. Well put.

Everyone I know who has had covid since New Year’s Eve, ( and some before ) and believe me I know a lot, has said that this has been no worse than a cold ( the Queen herself is reported to be experiencing mild cold symptoms ) with some saying they have had worse colds, myself included. A 72 year old woman in the village told me last year that she has had worse colds and has had all her jabs including booster, but refuses the annual flu jab as it makes her ill. 🤷‍♂️

Just because some people have cold like symptom's and none doesn't make it (Quote This latest bout of covid really is just a cold ) The cold doesn't put thousands in hospital and kill thousands. One 72 year old woman's experience in your village doesn't change that. But if you want to cling on to it just being a cold fine. 

Omicron more dangerous than common cold, experts say

In addition to their root causes, experts say the common cold and the omicron coronavirus variant are distinct in terms of severity.

People typically recover from a common cold in seven to 10 days, and the infection generally does not require medical attention, the Mayo Clinic says on its website. Omicron, on the other hand, can cause more serious illness, according to Dr. Daniel Culver, chair of the Department of Pulmonary Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic. The common cold typically causes mild, self-limited symptoms whereas omicron, like other COVID variants, can result in serious or fatal illness. 

Edited by ordnance

13 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Just because some people have cold like symptom's and none doesn't make it (Quote This latest bout of covid really is just a cold ) The cold doesn't put thousands in hospital and kill thousands. One 70 year old woman's experience in your village doesn't change that. But if you want to cling on to it just being a cold fine. 

In addition to their root causes, experts say the common cold and the omicron coronavirus variant are distinct in terms of severity.

People typically recover from a common cold in seven to 10 days, and the infection generally does not require medical attention, the Mayo Clinic says on its website. Omicron, on the other hand, can cause more serious illness, according to Dr. Daniel Culver, chair of the Department of Pulmonary Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic. The common cold typically causes mild, self-limited symptoms whereas omicron, like other COVID variants, can result in serious or fatal illness. 

Errrr it’s over. Move on. 

25 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Just because some people have cold like symptom's and none doesn't make it (Quote This latest bout of covid really is just a cold ) The cold doesn't put thousands in hospital and kill thousands. One 72 year old woman's experience in your village doesn't change that. But if you want to cling on to it just being a cold fine. 

So can common flu.
You’re talking to someone who no longer cares. 

• 4 weeks later...