Covid - it’s all over.

Lloyd90

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, discobob said:

But yet we have had a guy who has been seriously ill at work - including a trip to the hospital - in his 40's and fit so it is still a risk to people

I think there will always be such cases unfortunately. We can’t continue with ridiculous restrictions for the benefit of a huge minority. 
At our end of season dinner a couple of weeks ago, one of our guests who is a paramedic with the Great North Air Ambulance, was telling me that they practised throughout to get kitted out in their full PPE down to as quickly a time as possible. Fastest they could do was eight minutes! He said he watched while a stabbing victim was at great risk of bleeding out in Newcastle one night. He said it went against everything they had trained for, and didn’t even happen in a war zone. We can’t go on like that. 

4 hours ago, discobob said:

But yet we have had a guy who has been seriously ill at work - including a trip to the hospital - in his 40's and fit so it is still a risk to people

My old boss’ brother caught and died of the flu about 3-4 years ago. 

He was immune compromised. 

The rest of the world didn’t hide in their houses due to flu. 

We have to at some point ‘go back to normal’. 

The news was interesting this evening,  a mix of great back to normal and some saying beware?

The science bloke then said that some poorer areas are still well behind with the numbers that are vaccinated,  I'd say tough, everyone has had plenty of time to get vaccinated.

Obviously some will still be need to be cautious and some are still fearful like those wearing masks while alone in their cars, but the hospitals aren't full of people with covid so it's time to move on 

And Labour say this is just to get Boris out of the hole he dug?

There were those saying that the tough measures taken and particularly the need to show proof of vaccine to go to some places, and 'scan in' (for track and trace) at some places would never be removed ...... and the 'police state' was taking over.  The 'papers please' mentality.  It was never a credible idea here.

The vast majority always believed measures were temporary and would be lifted 'when the time was right'.

The question is ........ is the time right?  I'm inclined to think it is, but I would not be surprised if another 'booster' won't have to be rolled out, maybe late summer/early autumn with the usual 'flu jabs.  I am of the opinion that keeping the risk of serious illness/hospitalisation as new variants arise (as they surely will) may require annual tailored boosters much like the 'flu jabs.  There is a risk of NHS 'congestion' if these are either ineffective, or not taken up by enough of the 'at higher risk' members of the community.

Case rates are still high but hospitalisations and mortality are now but fractions of fractions. 

It’s over. And now for the backlash. 

When the worried well realise they’ve lost 2 years of their lives and now have to wait a couple of years to get a hospital slot for something important, we’ll see the previously worshipped Sage Ghouls and their random number generating ‘modellers’ up against the proverbial wall. 

Edited by Mungler

In my opinion it's not over at all, time has come where the general public are no longer willing to suffer restrictions to protect the few. The unlucky/unfortunate most vulnerable are dead but many thousands of lucky/fortunate vulnerable people are still alive due to barriers put in place up till now, these people are now to be abandoned until the virus mutates again and we all go around again. This is Boris creating a smoke screen in the hope that the joy of freedom will distract the media away from his disgusting behaviour. 

53 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

In my opinion it's not over at all, time has come where the general public are no longer willing to suffer restrictions to protect the few. The unlucky/unfortunate most vulnerable are dead but many thousands of lucky/fortunate vulnerable people are still alive due to barriers put in place up till now, these people are now to be abandoned until the virus mutates again and we all go around again. This is Boris creating a smoke screen in the hope that the joy of freedom will distract the media away from his disgusting behaviour. 

The vulnerable will always be vulnerable I’m afraid. We don’t go into lockdown or wear masks and keep socially distanced each flu season, I don’t see why this should be any different. 
We all need to get on with our lives as best we can; we’re only here the once.

If people feel vulnerable there’s absolutely nothing to prevent them from wearing masks or taking other precautions, but to expect the fit and healthy to pussyfoot around them ‘just in case’ isn’t morally right nor practical. 

56 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Nope.

Just keep an eye on the stats (hospitalisations, deaths and ventilators are the only real measure) and watch all the European countries follow in the next two months if not sooner.

What’s the point in maintaining restrictions for a variant that hasn’t happened / arrived? Whilst the coast is clear isn’t it only right that everyone gets to lead a free life and business has a chance to recoup?

The only reason other countries haven’t relaxed restrictions is because you can’t over night go from draconian lockdown to ‘oh, it’s alright now, curfew over, passes lifted, no more masks, free travel / passage and bars and restaurants open again’ because it’s a massive swing and the public / voters will remember being unnecessarily locked up.

Besides, if you’re over 80 and vulnerable, nobody is going to stop you from wearing a mask, locking your front door and not going out etc - just be reasonable and don’t expect everyone else to, especially the young. 

Just now, Scully said:

The vulnerable will always be vulnerable I’m afraid. We don’t go into lockdown or wear masks and keep socially distanced each flu season, I don’t see why this should be any different. 

If people feel vulnerable there’s absolutely nothing to prevent them from wearing masks or taking other precautions, but to expect the fit and healthy to pussyfoot around them ‘just in case’ isn’t morally right nor practical. 

100%

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

The unlucky/unfortunate most vulnerable are dead but many thousands of lucky/fortunate vulnerable people are still alive due to despite the barriers put in place up till now

Fixed it for you.

We have literally ruined ourselves in terms of young peoples' lives, development, and older people's missed cancer diagnosis, not to mention £2 trillion worth of damage to the economy, all for something less deadly than winter flu.*

If you think this 'isn't over', you're right.  We will be paying for this insanity for years. 

Like the Iraq war, as time goes on it will be gradually more difficult to find someone who publicly admits to being a  proponent of lockdowns, as it becomes clear what a disaster they are.  One of the few benefits of social media, is that, we know who these people are, which makes it easier to hold them to account when they seek to run for re-election.

*Officially, according the Office for National Statistics...

31 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Fixed it for you.

We have literally ruined ourselves in terms of young peoples' lives, development, and older people's missed cancer diagnosis, not to mention £2 trillion worth of damage to the economy, all for something less deadly than winter flu.*

If you think this 'isn't over', you're right.  We will be paying for this insanity for years. 

Like the Iraq war, as time goes on it will be gradually more difficult to find someone who publicly admits to being a  proponent of lockdowns, as it becomes clear what a disaster they are.  One of the few benefits of social media, is that, we know who these people are, which makes it easier to hold them to account when they seek to run for re-election.

*Officially, according the Office for National Statistics...

Agreed.

With every day that passes now we learn a bit more and wonder what mass stage hypnosis has come to pass. I expect that if you’re under 30 years of age it’s all the more bemusing.

Mind you, we do get to point and laugh at the east coast of the US, Canada, 90% of mainland Europe, oh and Scotland and Wales - mind you when did we ever stop laughing.

Seriousky though, what do the Scot’s make of their much vaunted elected official and the Cranky in Chief?

Edited by Mungler

4 hours ago, Scully said:

^^^ This 100%

Just watching the Jeremy vine show . I was surprised to see that 75% of people , still think that we should still be self isolating etc . I thought that just about everyone has had a belly full of it all by now , and should be pretty safe anyway because of jabs/already had covid etc . I can still see a very good case for the very vulnerable to take a lot of extra care , but most of us should really just be cracking on with it now.

51 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Just watching the Jeremy vine show . I was surprised to see that 75% of people , still think that we should still be self isolating etc . I thought that just about everyone has had a belly full of it all by now , and should be pretty safe anyway because of jabs/already had covid etc . I can still see a very good case for the very vulnerable to take a lot of extra care , but most of us should really just be cracking on with it now.

75% of what people ? I never got asked 🤭

TBH I've had my belly-full, and just want to get on with my life without thinking about Covid every time I'm in a shop or near other people 🙃

3 minutes ago, JKD said:

75% of what people ? I never got asked 🤭

TBH I've had my belly-full, and just want to get on with my life without thinking about Covid every time I'm in a shop or near other people 🙃

I'm not sure who they asked , I was only half watching it to be honest . The 75% just seemed an awful lot , as just about everyone that I know is absolutely sick and fed up with the whole covid merry go round . I'll be glad to get back to normality,  but at the same time , I still appreciate that covid is a very real threat , and very frightened to a very small percentage of the population.

Just now, mel b3 said:

I'm not sure who they asked , I was only half watching it to be honest . The 75% just seemed an awful lot , as just about everyone that I know is absolutely sick and fed up with the whole covid merry go round . I'll be glad to get back to normality,  but at the same time , I still appreciate that covid is a very real threat , and very frightened to a very small percentage of the population.

My question was a bit tongue in cheek 😀

I  think they must have asked people mostly in the medical profession 🤔

Just now, JKD said:

My question was a bit tongue in cheek 😀

I  think they must have asked people mostly in the medical profession 🤔

I know mate 👍

I thought they must have just asked all the elderly and vulnerable that were sat at home watching daytime tv , and folks like me that are too lazy to go to work 😁.

Currently Skiing in Slovakia. Its like a parallel universe here.  Covid passport for the slopes not checked. Half of those i meet are not vaccinated, its like it does not exist. We can moan about the rules in uk, i certainly do, but rather them than what they have here. 

Mungler has been ahead of the game for quite some time. Sooner or later we had to just get on with it and return to relative normality. The price we have paid in terms of the economy and people missing life saving NHS treatment seems to have been sacrificed on the altar of Covid. 

I am not saying it has completely gone away and other variants might surface, but the lockdown was unsustainable.