Putin announces 'military operation' in Ukraine.

Dave-G

3 hours ago, Rem260 said:

You seem to forget what you write or imply. How would you have stopped it. Sent him a strongly worded letter ?

I think you confuse yourself, you neve asked me how I would have stopped it? 

If you had, I would have said it wasn't possible to stop it once they had rearmed, diplomacy didn't work, appeasement didn't work, threats of military action didn't work, and actual military action certainly didn't, the entire BEF could easily have been captured but for some good luck and ideas. 

You need to decide what your point is, you want to prove some analogy between now and 1939~40, and I'm not sure it's there. 

Understanding the state of play, and the reasons and possible outcomes of the Ukraine war, will not be gleaned from watching BBC news I'm afraid. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, Rewulf said:

I think you confuse yourself, you neve asked me how I would have stopped it?

No you offered it in your list of reasons for stopping Mr H. I quote

"Why were they allowed to re arm in the first place ?"

So who is getting confused here. By the way your not Kier Starmer are you.

18 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

No you offered it in your list of reasons for stopping Mr H. I quote

"Why were they allowed to re arm in the first place ?"

Im on the verge of giving up with you to be honest, your argument flips and turns, ending up with nonsensical assumptions and misquotes for what I said.
That wasnt a 'reason' for stopping hitler, it was a missed opportunity for stopping him , I clearly stated that once Germany HAD rearmed, they couldnt actually be stopped by an apathetic France and Britain.
Again , your wasting time trying to analogise WW2 and Ukraine, its a different ball game , with different driving factors.

24 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

So who is getting confused here. By the way your not Kier Starmer are you.

You need to put some context into a question like that, or it just goes straight over the head.
Ive no idea what youre getting at ?

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Im on the verge of giving up with you to be honest, your argument flips and turns, ending up with nonsensical assumptions and misquotes for what I said.

How can I miss quote something you have written. Again you state.

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

That wasnt a 'reason' for stopping hitler, it was a missed opportunity for stopping him , I clearly stated that once Germany HAD rearmed, they couldnt actually be stopped by an apathetic France and Britain.
Again , your wasting time trying to analogise WW2 and Ukraine, its a different ball game , with different driving factors.

So what was this missed opportunity to stop him rearming. How could it have been achieved, without military action. Hence sending your children to war.

As for Kier Starmer he is well known as being Captain Hindsight without any answers.

Edited by Rem260

19 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

So what was this missed opportunity to stop him rearming. How could it have been achieved, without military action. Hence sending your children to war.

On 04/07/2022 at 12:51, Rewulf said:

I dont know , might have been an idea to have that war with them before they re armed themselves to the teeth ?

Can you truly not see the logic of what I wrote ?
The strange conundrum you have envisaged , where we dont HAVE to go to war with them, never existed.
I tried to explain that war , or even the threat of war/occupation, on a poorly armed Germany, would have been far more desirable , than letting them heavily re arm over the course of a decade ?
As I said , conflict was unavoidable , hitler promised Germany 'Room to grow' , he said it , plain as day , that Germany would expand, and we stuck our fingers in our ears and sang la la la !

I would advise you spend some time studying the history of Europe, before commenting on it further.

29 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

As for Kier Starmer he is well known as being Captain Hindsight without any answers.

Err, OK.

11 hours ago, oowee said:

Lebvedev (ex? Kgb) and Boris are best mates. 

The Evgeny s, own those well known pro tory media outlets, the Evening standard and the Indy {plus offshoots}? 😂

So yeah, best mates, they do more slagging off of BJ than any other media. 

Must be a cover..... 

17 hours ago, Chaseorbechased said:

Bet mr putin is laughing his **** off at the circus that is called British politics 

Without wishing to open a tangental discussion, we've been a laughing stock to the rest of the world on this front for some time. It started with bemusement around this time in 2016 and has evolved to laughing stock, my only retort is "not in my name" when responding to international colleagues on this topic i.e. I did not vote for the self-harm of Brexit nor Basil Johnson.

16 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Of course Russia are glad he's gone. They don't like that he is sending arms over into Ukraine..  

How much do you think it's really directly attributable to Basil on the topic of arms support to Ukraine, do you not think any Tory PM would have taken pretty much the same stance?

Without wishing to open a tangental discussion, we've been a laughing stock to the rest of the world on this front for some time.

I assume the rest of the World laugh just as loud at the Governments of Scotland, France, North Korea, Sweden, Russia  and the USA

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

but they certainly have empathy for those in Scotland regarding independence and their EU status.

They dont have independence , or an EU status, theyre part of the UK , for now... And I suspect the 'empathy' they feel for Scotland in the EU , would evaporate faster than a dram of best Scotch, when they realise they would have to take on and finance another basket case economy with a border issue ?
I wonder if they have empathy for the Catalans too, but I doubt it, waaay too much trouble.

Just now, Rewulf said:

They dont have independence , or an EU status, theyre part of the UK , for now... And I suspect the 'empathy' they feel for Scotland in the EU , would evaporate faster than a dram of best Scotch, when they realise they would have to take on and finance another basket case economy with a border issue ?
I wonder if they have empathy for the Catalans too, but I doubt it, waaay too much trouble.

There's a trend on PW today for posts stating the blindingly obvious, must be contagious 🙂

Regarding the other point, see my previous reply...

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

How much do you think it's really directly attributable to Basil on the topic of arms support to Ukraine, do you not think any Tory PM would have taken pretty much the same stance?

Did my post say anything about other people not doing the same! I purely said Russia are happy he is gone. Because Putin and others have publicly said they are. 

Read the words and don't over think it .. 😉

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

There's a trend on PW today for posts stating the blindingly obvious, must be contagious 🙂

Theres a trend in the media today for bashing Boris, which is both sad and disturbing.
We have pond life like Starmer and Major, telling anyone who will listen that BJ need to leave no 10 immediately, as hes a danger to the country !
Im eagerly awaiting Adonis's input into the matter , where no doubt he will call for Brexit to be reversed now BJ s gone....

But heres a little story you wont read in the MSM, just to show that some people do appreciate the things hes done.

Ukrzaliznytsia, the Ukrainian state railway company, has adopted a temporary logo featuring Boris’s signature mop. The reverence in which he is held in Ukraine gives pause for thought.

May be an image of text that says 'YB yKp3aли3HиuR Ukrzaliznytsia updated their profile picture. 20h 20 YB-'

Rewulf - a point worth noting. Boris has done a lot for the country, despite his detractors. His downfall appears to be little to do with policies, but more to do with his carefree attitude to rules and his difficulty with the concept of "truth". 

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Theres a trend in the media today for bashing Boris, which is both sad and disturbing.
We have pond life like Starmer and Major, telling anyone who will listen that BJ need to leave no 10 immediately, as hes a danger to the country !
Im eagerly awaiting Adonis's input into the matter , where no doubt he will call for Brexit to be reversed now BJ s gone....

But heres a little story you wont read in the MSM, just to show that some people do appreciate the things hes done.

Ukrzaliznytsia, the Ukrainian state railway company, has adopted a temporary logo featuring Boris’s signature mop. The reverence in which he is held in Ukraine gives pause for thought.

May be an image of text that says 'YB yKp3aли3HиuR Ukrzaliznytsia updated their profile picture. 20h 20 YB-'

He should leave immediately and like Major I'm a Tory too.

I'm totally behind Ukraine but your point on the railways is "nice" but pretty meaningless - I repeat, any Tory PM would have taken the same position as Basil. And I'm glad of that fact.

Re, the Adonis / Brexit point - you've overlooked the fact that Heseltine stated "no Boris, no Brexit".

For the record, I'm not advocating undoing Brexit, we need it done and to get on. Warts, travel delays blah blah and all...