No resistance?

Scully

It was a question a teacher asked of OH today while she ran a workshop for pupils of a local school.
She said they were dropping like flies with all manner of ailments ranging from bad colds, impetigo, scarlet fever and the human variant of foot and mouth. Now I don’t know if anyone has any immunity to any of the above, but the teacher said she’d never known anything like it, and all just in the last year or so. 🤷‍♂️
OH said covid is the least of her worries! 

Kids normally mix and spread thier germs between each other, building up their immunity as they go. A couple of years of not running about with snotty noses play fighting and mucking about and being kept apart has diminished their immunity ,and now they are free to mix.

8 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Kids normally mix and spread thier germs between each other, building up their immunity as they go. A couple of years of not running about with snotty noses play fighting and mucking about and being kept apart has diminished their immunity ,and now they are free to mix.

Sounds about right. my children are all at college in Glasgow and they have had some horrendous colds, the symptoms sound like covid but they have all had test's which were clear......as said no immunity

48 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

My thoughts too. 

12 minutes ago, ditchman said:

impatigo ....bloody hell.....used to see alot of that in africa.....

Quite common apparently. 

Impetigo is a common and highly contagious skin infection that causes sores and blisters. It's not usually serious and often improves within a week of treatment or within a few weeks without treatment. Impetigo is the most common skin infection in young children in the UK, but it can affect people of all ages.

9 hours ago, ordnance said:

Just the usual things children catch, there is no immunity for the common cold. 

You’re right of course; perhaps in hindsight I should have added a caveat ‘common cold notwithstanding’ regarding the immunity comment, but the other ailments are obviously uncommon enough for the teacher to have commented on them. None of the teachers are affected, ( no idea about the parents ) just the pupils, although the head chef at OH’s place of work has just gone through scarlet fever. He’s the only person I have ever met who has had it, so it’s uncommon to me. 
Maybe there’s something to it, maybe not. 🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

impatigo ....bloody hell.....used to see alot of that in africa.....

I used to get it, and occasionally get bits now, sort of like a cold saw that spreads, but I don't generally get colds, I was told it can happen if your run down, like a cold.

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I used to get it, and occasionally get bits now, sort of like a cold saw that spreads, but I don't generally get colds, I was told it can happen if your run down, like a cold.

ive seen it at its worse.......my cook ..his wife had it...she was covered in it ...deepcracks ...looked as if he body was one big weeping scab.....filched the money out of the company acc and sent her to hostipital ..none too soon...........and with the right care she recovered 100%....

1 hour ago, Kev1gun said:

The common cold is a corona virus, it's never been cured, So don't hold out much hope for covid, we just need to get on with it.

This. OH’s mother couldn’t pick up her prescription yesterday because the pharmacist is off with covid. Not ill, just off.
Scientists and or advisors need to make a decision as to whether this is a serious threat or just another cold. 

Our regional news presenter adopts her best gloomy face as she reads out rising covid figures in our region. It means nothing to the vast majority of people now, but the doom and gloom scare mongering continues. 

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

ive seen it at its worse.......my cook ..his wife had it...she was covered in it ...deepcracks ...looked as if he body was one big weeping scab.....filched the money out of the company acc and sent her to hostipital ..none too soon...........and with the right care she recovered 100%....

I've never seen it like that, thankfully. 

9 hours ago, Kev1gun said:

The common cold is a corona virus, it's never been cured, So don't hold out much hope for covid, we just need to get on with it.

Its more to do with the number and types of viruses that cause the common cold, not because some are Corona viruses. 

More than 200 different viruses are known to cause the symptoms of the common cold. An estimated 30-35% of all adult colds are caused by  (rhinoviruses.)

Edited by ordnance

Both my parents worked and we went to school no matter what we were suffering from, my mother actually told us that if we couldn't walk she would carry us to school. In all my school days, primary and secondary, I was off sick for 5 days when I collapsed with Diabetes in secondary and 1 day in junior school for emotional reasons when my best friend died running to the canteen at lunchtime. 

When i was working we had loads of halls or ressidence on campus and i dont think they got the concept of socail distancing right they would fill a hall and leave the next hall empty . Instead of as i thought fill a room leave the next room empty as a result covid ran threw the halls . 

But on a normal year mumps or anything contagious  would go threw the blocks 

On the quiet we thought the idea was they would all let them catch covid students where young could handle it and bounce back and after the first term they would be fine . that worked well till some of them caught covid for the second time and it was worse than the first time on there bodies 

My son and grandson have both had covid three weeks ago they where both laid low with flu like symptoms 

11 hours ago, Bigbob said:

When i was working we had loads of halls or ressidence on campus and i dont think they got the concept of socail distancing right they would fill a hall and leave the next hall empty . Instead of as i thought fill a room leave the next room empty as a result covid ran threw the halls . 

But on a normal year mumps or anything contagious  would go threw the blocks 

On the quiet we thought the idea was they would all let them catch covid students where young could handle it and bounce back and after the first term they would be fine . that worked well till some of them caught covid for the second time and it was worse than the first time on there bodies 

My son and grandson have both had covid three weeks ago they where both laid low with flu like symptoms 

Couldn't be, sure its all over :hmm:

Edited by ordnance

On 21/03/2022 at 20:45, welsh1 said:

This.