Twelve to twenty

Not what your really asking but, I've been there and done that for the same reason. Not worth the change in calibre in my opinion,  better off trying to improve the gun fit or gun weight. I bet you will still be shooting 21gram cartridges or similar which will be cheaper in 12b than 20b. 

Having gone down this road some time back, due to a shoulder injury, I bought a 32"  barrelled 20 bore o/u weighing 6 1/2 lbs. I used 25 gram RC 6's which were excellent.  However, I have a 2 1/2" English gun which weighs 6lbs 2ozs. and using 28 gram Fiocchi game 6's, I found I shot a lot better. There is a far greater range of cartridges in 12 bore, something that seems to back up my thinking, along with the fact my 20 bore has been for sale for 6 months without any interest  !

From the recoil point of view, stick to 28 gram game loads through a LIGHTWEIGHT 12 bore game gun and there is no noticeable difference, plus the cartridges are cheaper. Stick with a maximum of 24 gram loads on clays or even 21 gram, both will break any clays that you shoot at.

10 hours ago, Joe180 said:

I’ve already bought the 20bore, the only problem with my 12bore perazzi it weighs 9lbs

Hello, 9llbs 🤔🙄 is that a browning 325 ? I must say it's a long time ago that I used my 101 20 Winchester but never felt under gunned clay and rough shooting and very little recoil, I used the lightest load on clays and as Paul mentioned Eley 25 gram 5/6 shot will sort out any game shooting 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, 9llbs 🤔🙄 is that a browning 325 ? I must say it's a long time ago that I used my 101 20 Winchester but never felt under gunned clay and rough shooting and very little recoil, I used the lightest load on clays and as Paul mentioned Eley 25 gram 5/6 shot will sort out any game shooting 

No my 12bore perazzi weighs 9lb, my 325 20 bore is 61/2lb the arm I am having problems with is my left ,(I shoot from right shoulder).

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Ok would adding a bit of weight to the stock on the 325 ? Better balance for left arm

With a few pain killers the 325 shoots great and is ideal ,and don’t want to alter it. Just hope the shoulder replacement is a success.Thanks for the interest.

I was out yesterday after a few pigeons with my 20 bore Highlander. I normally use 28 gm fibre wad RC Sipes 6s but picked up the wrong cartridge bag which was full of RC20 24g steel shot 5s that I used when asked to use steel shot when shooting over peas a few years ago. I only noticed my mistake after getting one or two but it also proved that I can miss with whatever cartridge I use:whistling:. The ones I did hit were dead in the air, so perhaps steel do pattern slightly tighter than lead, but I`m not inclined to get too wound up about the technicalities, just go out to enjoy myself and find that if I point the gun in the right direction most cartridges will do the job. 

I certainly didn`t notice any difference in the recoil between the steel and my usual Sipes or sometimes Eley VIPs.

OB

4 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I was out yesterday after a few pigeons with my 20 bore Highlander. I normally use 28 gm fibre wad RC Sipes 6s but picked up the wrong cartridge bag which was full of RC20 24g steel shot 5s that I used when asked to use steel shot when shooting over peas a few years ago. I only noticed my mistake after getting one or two but it also proved that I can miss with whatever cartridge I use. The ones I did hit were dead in the air, so perhaps steel do pattern slightly tighter than lead, but I`m not inclined to get too wound up about the technicalities, just go out to enjoy myself and find that if I point the gun in the right direction most cartridges will do the job. 

I certainly didn`t notice any difference in the recoil between the steel and my usual Sipes or sometimes Eley VIPs.

Now we just need a few thousand more people to realise this.

my beretta 12g is sat waiting to be sold,,,ive totally gone over to 20g,ive used them for about 10 years but decided to ditch the 12g,i like the handling of the 20g currently useing a fair jubilee on pigeons,i shoot just as many as useing 12g,my crow gun is now my 20g armsan and again my scores havent gone down by useing smaller gauge,28g/25g 6 fiocchi in the auto,and 24g homeloads in the o/u.

21 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

And not a red cartridge to be seen :no:

However, for any 16 bore fans out there Clever now do a steel cartridge and it`s ......... wait for it.........RED :good:

No excuse to miss now then TC :yahoo:

IMG_3013.JPG