A few more windows

team tractor

My daughter in law has a couple of children's nurseries and in one they have a windmill. The main body is fine, but the sails were getting a bit unsafe. We took the old ones off and I was amazed how a manufacturer had turned out such a rubbish job. There was no proper frame, just bits screwed together. We made a new frame with four lengths - two parallel, a foot apart, with the other two crossing the first two. This formed a basic cross to which blades have been added. To preserve a bit of strength, we used cross halving joints - 8 of them. I haven't done any joints in over 30 years. Marked them up, set the circular saw to half depth and finished off by chisel. They turned out okay, when screwed and glued together. 

I looked at the finished job and it is passable. I then look at team tractor's joints - which are way more complicated - and hang my head in shame.

I can get by making fences, walkways, windmill sails strong enough, but without the genuinely professional standard finish.

Knowing my limitations makes me appreciate top quality work. 

PS - still got to attach the sails.

IMG 123.jpg

Edited by Gordon R

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

My daughter in law has a couple of children's nurseries and in one they have a windmill. The main body is fine, but the sails were getting a bit unsafe. We took the old ones off and I was amazed how a manufacturer had turned out such a rubbish job. There was no proper frame, just bits screwed together. We made a new frame with four lengths - two parallel, a foot apart, with the other two crossing the first two. This formed a basic cross to which blades have been added. To preserve a bit of strength, we used cross halving joints - 8 of them. I haven't done any joints in over 30 years. Marked them up, set the circular saw to half depth and finished off by chisel. They turned out okay, when screwed and glued together. 

I looked at the finished job and it is passable. I then look at team tractor's joints - which are way more complicated - and hang my head in shame.

I can get by making fences, walkways, windmill sails strong enough, but without the genuinely professional standard finish.

Knowing my limitations makes me appreciate top quality work. 

PS - still got to attach the sails.

IMG 123.jpg

If you’re ever near Tamworth you’re welcome to call on the workshop 👍
Thank you for the kind words 

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/09/2022 at 14:37, Scully said:

What do you reckon to these TT? Methinks apprentice was put to work! 
image.jpeg.2b22c8f99ab1597dd9dfc7d300be711c.jpeg

Sorry about the delay . That’s a shame the joints/glue  failed . I haven’t used Douglas fir in a long time . What is the item ? 

On 30/09/2022 at 19:24, Walker570 said:

Some Araldite then the filler ?????

Araldite 😂. I haven’t seen that in 20 years . Is it still a thing ? 

On 30/09/2022 at 15:42, Dave-G said:

I'm beginning to suspect you of being a window fiddler. 

Guilty as charged 😂

It’s been a busy few weeks again . I’m on tight deadlines to get a rental rentable quick. 

6368D265-E76A-4A5C-B7DF-75E3484E4A47.jpeg

6E261FE3-615A-4CF8-B3A0-3491AABD7E06.jpeg

492BA4E6-20E0-4A53-B339-0F8D842D937D.jpeg

EC3B1082-B21F-48C5-A5AC-EB944FD4DCE7.jpeg

DD2AC500-A8B5-4DBF-86ED-AFF197AAE8BC.jpeg

TT get the Bloomin pictures up the right way will you ???

If you can knock up a few bits of timber together and make glass holders for houses im sure you can get the camera up the right way up. 

I'll pop round later this week and show you how to get them the right way. 😄

25 minutes ago, Dougy said:

TT get the Bloomin pictures up the right way will you

If you can knock up a few bits of timber together and make glass holders for houses im sure you can get the camera up the right way up. 

I'll pop round later this week and show you how to get them the right way. 😄

😂😂😂 it’s being quick. When I add them they’re the right way until it’s in the post . 
just crank your head 😂

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Looks great.  Are they single pane windows?  

Yeah for a listed building in Tamworth town centre 👍

53 minutes ago, ditchman said:

do you spray the varnish/laquer on or use a brush ?

That’s wood preservative 👍. I just took the picture while it’s wet 😂😂😂