Todays budget

oowee

16 minutes ago, Rem260 said:

So who do we vote in that will sort out this mess. Out of the frying pan and into the fire comes to mind.

No one will sort it until we get PR. Power corrupts and any govt that stays in power will degrade over time. Same happened with Thatcher and Blair. We have no option than to have a change otherwise this mess will get worse. Unfortunately we have to alternate right with left and back again. 

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, oowee said:

No one will sort it until we get PR. Power corrupts and any govt that stays in power will degrade over time. Same happened with Thatcher and Blair. We have no option than to have a change otherwise this mess will get worse. Unfortunately we have to alternate right with left and back again. 

I thought I would watch the Labour Party conference. When Angela Rayner gave her speech she stated that her vision of the Labour Party was a party that supported 16 year old single mothers. If that is not a portent of an increasing welfare state I don't know what is.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/talk-of-singapore-of-thames-economy-is-merely-a-reflection-of-brexit-ignorance/

The Tories don’t have anything to lose, they know they are out next election, if it all goes south they hand the failure to Labour and use it as a lever to return to power next time around.

The likes of Odey win whatever happens because they play the market, he doesn’t care if the U.K. pension funds crash and burn. Not jealousy just hard facts.

55 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/talk-of-singapore-of-thames-economy-is-merely-a-reflection-of-brexit-ignorance/

The Tories don’t have anything to lose, they know they are out next election, if it all goes south they hand the failure to Labour and use it as a lever to return to power next time around.

The likes of Odey win whatever happens because they play the market, he doesn’t care if the U.K. pension funds crash and burn. Not jealousy just hard facts.

Of course, rejoining Europe would solve every problem 🙂

2 hours ago, oowee said:

PR doesn't work, look at Italy, one failed coalition government after another 

Also, how do you actually decide what is "proportional"? Only about a hundred different models for how you work out the quotas and how the seats are allocated.

It's an end to MPs representing their constituents or being answerable to them. Instead it most likely results in a party being told they have xyz number of seats which then get handed out (behind closed doors) to the party faithful and cronies. Rather than candidates who have faced the scrutiny of being elected.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Feel free to counter points in the article rather than dumb replies like that.

What, counter a "balanced" article in the "New European"? What would be the point; the whole article is designed to sneer at the notion of growth in a low tax and less regulated environment outside of Europe. Indeed, the whole whiff is its all so terminal for us because we left the EU.

Well, we're not in the EU and so we have to play the cards that have been dealt. The conservative government are throwing the dice on growth (and in particular growing London), I approve of their plan out of all the Hobson's choices and there's nothing to get steamed up. Indeed, what are the alternatives?

Indeed that article and publication is so out of date it hurts - written before Ukraine kicked off properly, before Germany started writing blank cheques to prop up Europe and before Italy voted in the right.

On a tangent, I think Putin walloped the pipe lines to screw Germany and hasten the demise of the EU (working to the correct assumption that the EU can't work without Germany). We will all find out all when the balls land in the next year or so.

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

On a tangent, I think Putin walloped the pipe lines to screw Germany and hasten the demise of the EU (working to the correct assumption that the EU can't work without Germany). We will all find out all when the balls land in the next year or so.

I think he did it too, but it's a massive escalation 

Although we won't avoid the fallout just be glad we got out of Europe when we did. At least we have some degree of autonomy 

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

What, counter a "balanced" article in the "New European"? What would be the point; the whole article is designed to sneer at the notion of growth in a low tax and less regulated environment outside of Europe. Indeed, the whole whiff is its all so terminal for us because we left the EU.

Well, we're not in the EU and so we have to play the cards that have been dealt. The conservative government are throwing the dice on growth (and in particular growing London), I approve of their plan out of all the Hobson's choices and there's nothing to get steamed up. Indeed, what are the alternatives?

Indeed that article and publication is so out of date it hurts - written before Ukraine kicked off properly, before Germany started writing blank cheques to prop up Europe and before Italy voted in the right.

Look beyond the Brexit bit and it’s raising points about true levels of tax, forced savings, infrastructure, state owned housing and immigration.

I don’t think you thought your Singapore on Thames through very well did you. 

Didn’t expect you to counter because we both know you can’t.

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

PR doesn't work, look at Italy, one failed coalition government after another 

Also, how do you actually decide what is "proportional"? Only about a hundred different models for how you work out the quotas and how the seats are allocated.

It's an end to MPs representing their constituents or being answerable to them. Instead it most likely results in a party being told they have xyz number of seats which then get handed out (behind closed doors) to the party faithful and cronies. Rather than candidates who have faced the scrutiny of being elected.

It takes a bit of thought but still have local mp rep's. It would lead to a more thoughtful by agreement govt. The current system clearly does not work. Add in a modern constitution and we would be away, Currently we have a minority govt in power that can't be right. 

5 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Look beyond the Brexit bit and it’s raising points about true levels of tax, forced savings, infrastructure, state owned housing and immigration.

I don’t think you thought your Singapore on Thames through very well did you. 

Didn’t expect you to counter because we both know you can’t.

I didn’t bother because when you factor in the ultra ultra low tax they pay in Singapore, you can just levy a boring eurozone low comparative tax and fund everything you need. Also in Singapore they don’t do waste, lazy or free. Factor that in and…. 

But no, the great euro gods have made the comparison and boo hoo’d it and that’s that. 

5 hours ago, oowee said:

Currently we have a minority govt in power that can't be right. 

The minority gov that won with the biggest ever margin?

5 hours ago, oowee said:

It takes a bit of thought but still have local mp rep's. It would lead to a more thoughtful by agreement govt

I can't see it ever working here, just look at the house of commons,  I can't imagine MPs from different parties working together and achieving anything. 

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

The minority gov that won with the biggest ever margin?

I can't see it ever working here, just look at the house of commons,  I can't imagine MPs from different parties working together and achieving anything. 

Yes. 43% of the vote 56% of seats. 

It won't work under the current voting system although there is an amazing amount of cross party working that goes on behind the scene. Do we want them to work together on a solution to issues or do we want them to fight over it? 

18 minutes ago, Mungler said:

Pound to dollar and pound to euro have returned to previous levels

Please can all those losing their minds on PW & elsewhere re-read that sentence, take 5 minutes to give their heads a wobble & crack on.

It would be funny (if it weren’t so tragic) how the biggest enthusiasts for the economic ruination that is lockdown, are also the ones crying the loudest about a money market wobble over a minor tax cut.  Again, both on PW and in real life.

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Please can all those losing their minds on PW & elsewhere re-read that sentence, take 5 minutes to give their heads a wobble & crack on.

It would be funny (if it weren’t so tragic) how the biggest enthusiasts for the economic ruination that is lockdown, are also the ones crying the loudest about a money market wobble over a minor tax cut.  Again, both on PW and in real life.

Amen to that