Baked Beans.

bruno22rf

With Heinz beans pushing £1.20/tin we shopped around and eventually came across the Lidl Newgate Beans (Blue Tin)- these are 34 p/tin and make the heinz ones seem awful, if you can remember when the heinz variety were full of flavour (6-7 years ago) then this is how the Lidl ones taste, cannot fault them.

Edited by bruno22rf

19 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

With Heinz beans pushing £1.20/tin we shopped around and eventually came across the Lidl Newgate Beans (Blue Tin)- these are 34 p/tin and make the heinz ones seem awful, if you can remember when the heinz variety were full of flavour (6-7 years ago) then this is how the Lidl ones taste, cannot fault them.

why are heinz so bloody expensive ?

28 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I bought three tins of Baked beans in Lidl's a week or so ago. 22p a tin and they are superb.

IMG_20220924_190642.jpg

We tried those but found them a little sweet, but still, IMHO, more flavour than heinz. Heinz seem to be going the same way as Walkers Crisps, they sell on reputation gained years ago but when you try them.......

Hello, those are my favourite to Bruno👍 I rate them better than Tesco and a few other shops, but on par with M and S , in fact I shopped in Lidl today and popped one in the basket, Tesco prices are going up daily, they still want their billions profit despite the recession ,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

12 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

We tried those but found them a little sweet, but still, IMHO, more flavour than heinz. Heinz seem to be going the same way as Walkers Crisps, they sell on reputation gained years ago but when you try them.......

Very accurate observation 👍

slighty on a tangent...........i made in the slow cooker a while ago ..Boston Baked Beans.....but i added a fair bit of belly pork.................this would be a totally awesome meal for a november the 5th party............kids would go mad over it and adults...

have a gander at this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/boston_baked_beans_with_57598

Edited by ditchman

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

slighty on a tangent...........i made in the slow cooker a while ago ..Boston Baked Beans.....but i added a fair bit of belly pork.................this would be a totally awesome meal for a november the 5th party............kids would go mad over it and adults...

have a gander at this

Done something similar in the slow cooker, very nice. 

One thing I do with tinned beans (and this applies regardless of brand) is to 'add' to the flavour with one or more of the following (in addition to my usual ground black pepper);

• Dash of Worcester sauce
  • Dash of Tabasco sauce
  • Pinch of garlic salt
  • Pinch of smoked paprika
  • Squeeze of tomato puree or tomato ketchup

As to 'brand', I have tried several and like to 'ring the changes'.  I can't recall all tried, but I did find Aldi reasonable but too sweet, and one other (can't remember which other than being a saver/economy version scant on beans and heavy on thin sweet juice).  I should try Lidl, but there is no convenient branch for me.

As a poor student we used to add a tin of home brand supermarket baked beans to Spaghetti Bolognese, bulked up the mince and tasted fine! Have been eating home brand supermarket beans for a while always found them fine.....i do however miss this!  

image.jpeg

Edited by Aled

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

have a gander at this

Looks a good winter warmer that one! A bit of spicy chorizo might would work well in it.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

One thing I do with tinned beans (and this applies regardless of brand) is to 'add' to the flavour with one or more of the following (in addition to my usual ground black pepper);

• Dash of Worcester sauce
  • Dash of Tabasco sauce
  • Pinch of garlic salt
  • Pinch of smoked paprika
  • Squeeze of tomato puree or tomato ketchup

As to 'brand', I have tried several and like to 'ring the changes'.  I can't recall all tried, but I did find Aldi reasonable but too sweet, and one other (can't remember which other than being a saver/economy version scant on beans and heavy on thin sweet juice).  I should try Lidl, but there is no convenient branch for me.

A dusting of curry powder stirred in was something I done on occasion for beans on toast..curried beans!

1 hour ago, Aled said:

As a poor student we used to add a tin of home brand supermarket baked beans to Spaghetti Bolognese, bulked up the mince and tasted fine! Have been eating home brand supermarket beans for a while always found them fine.....i do however miss this!  

image.jpeg

Chef is an Irish brand, but Batchelor's beans is the number one over here! I'm enjoying their recently released chilli beans and mixed taco beans! 

Branston is a favourite in this house and Heinz beans like most of their products are pretty poor IMO, with the exception of their Salad Cream. I know they own HP sauces but they are not really Heinz are they?

Edited by SuperGoose75