Lead/CPSA

Wylye

I find this really interesting:

"Our current position for clay shooting allows shooters to use 28g lead cartridges, which has been identified as a risk if allowed to continue through the potential misuse of clay cartridges in game shooting and, in turn, contamination of the food chain. As the national governing body for clay shooting, we would propose to restrict lead loads from 28g to 24g (a 15% reduction) at all clay shooting grounds. This change would mitigate the risk of migration, as 24g is not a viable game load, while also bringing our policy in alignment with that of the ISSF standard cartridge load."

That really seems like a statement as risk limitation to try to keep lead as viable for clays. I do believe that many shoots could act like wildfowling with a lifetime ban for anyone using lead, but then when such big cash numbers are involved in game days, if the birds aren't resold for retail it will be impossible to police.

Skeet is already 24g, and frankly if the playing field is leveled with 24g limit at clay grounds, we will all get used to that quickly as the lower potential hit rate is the same for everyone (if you're not on it, you're not on it. right?!)

Seems a pragmatic early way to secure lead in the clay game possibly, I wouldn't be opposed to it as a viable option. I still think the issue is not 28g potentially being used on game days as home loaders can still do it.

Gamebore are busy developing steel loads for clays, whether they have inside information or not I wouldn’t know, but the CPSA restricting trap loads to 24 grm in an attempt to curry favour re’ an exemption, on the pretext game shooters won’t use them for such, is a tad cynical and divisive in my opinion.
There are game shooters currently using diminutive .410’s for game. 🤷‍♂️

Cpsa would be better upping it to 32 grams as the clay grounds will have to show it’s reclaimable so it’s going to be more financially viable with a big payload 

although fair play to the cpsa at least it’s suggested a alternative obviously suggesting that game shooters can’t be trusted at the same time  🙄

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Gamebore are busy developing steel loads for clays, whether they have inside information or not I wouldn’t know, but the CPSA restricting trap loads to 24 grm in an attempt to curry favour re’ an exemption, on the pretext game shooters won’t use them for such, is a tad cynical and divisive in my opinion.

24 grams of steel would just about give you the same pellet count as 28 grams lead maybe that’s another reason 

I've never been one to support banning something just because a few may break the law, we don't ban all cars because some break the speed limit. Surely if there's a genuine reason to ban lead then you need to put resources in place to ensure the ban is upheld?

I know plenty of people use clay carts for pigeons but won't they still use cheap 24g carts? What about practical shot gun shooters, you don't want to be shooting steel at steel plates, and many PSG shooters like something along the 30g no. 5...

12 hours ago, Windswept said:

I've never been one to support banning something just because a few may break the law, we don't ban all cars because some break the speed limit. Surely if there's a genuine reason to ban lead then you need to put resources in place to ensure the ban is upheld?

I know plenty of people use clay carts for pigeons but won't they still use cheap 24g carts? What about practical shot gun shooters, you don't want to be shooting steel at steel plates, and many PSG shooters like something along the 30g no. 5...

There was nothing put in place to ensure compliance regarding the ban of lead shot for wildfowl, so I can’t see how this would be any more enforceable if there are exemptions made for certain disciplines. 
It’s either toxic and detrimental to health, the environment, flora and fauna, or it isn’t. 🤷‍♂️

30 minutes ago, London Best said:

Well it hasn’t been toxic for 300 years. Perhaps modern lead is more dangerous?

But that’s the thing, it IS toxic to a differing degree to certain species. Is it toxic to the environment?
Those who have the ears of the bureaucrats claim it is toxic to all things, but they have an agenda. 

17 hours ago, London Best said:

“24 gram is not a viable game load”

What a load of cobblers.

You are dead right! Obviously those of us who shoot 21 or 24gm 28g loads on game never kill anything! 

as Scully says this is just divisive. Either we shoot lead or we don’t …..across the board.

I also spoke to both reps and the simple fact is the focus is on non lead, non plastic loads. From an environmental point of view  it’s impossible to argue with. Let’s face it for clay shooting there isn’t even a lethality argument. If the shot knocks a chip off the clay that’s good enough!

On 25/10/2022 at 13:09, Scully said:

Yes. Indeed 24 gram is in fact the traditional "pygmy" load otherwise known as the "Twentieth Century" cartridge the Two Inch Twelve Bore cartridge and for many years the standard load in a 2 1/2" case 20 bore cartridge.

Edited by enfieldspares

10 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

You are dead right! Obviously those of us who shoot 21 or 24gm 28g loads on game never kill anything! 

as Scully says this is just divisive. Either we shoot lead or we don’t …..across the board.

I also spoke to both reps and the simple fact is the focus is on non lead, non plastic loads. From an environmental point of view  it’s impossible to argue with. Let’s face it for clay shooting there isn’t even a lethality argument. If the shot knocks a chip off the clay that’s good enough!

Can you compare a 24g 28 gauge load against a 24g 12 gauge load in this context, when they are specifically talking 24g 12ga loads? I'm not sure that's particularly fair.

A load of shot kills the same irrespective of what gauge it comes from.

56 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Can you compare a 24g 28 gauge load against a 24g 12 gauge load in this context, when they are specifically talking 24g 12ga loads? I'm not sure that's particularly fair.

Edited by London Best

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

A load of shot kills the same irrespective of what gauge it comes from.

That's comparing petrol to petrol, as in they both have lead between Ga.

But, 12Ga to 20Ga is like comparing a 2 litre car to a 2 litre motorcycle. Both are "the same" as you compared 24g to 24g, but they do handle differently with that load.

1 minute ago, HantsRob said:

That's comparing petrol to petrol, as in they both have lead between Ga.

But, 12Ga to 20Ga is like comparing a 2 litre car to a 2 litre motorcycle. Both are "the same" as you compared 24g to 24g, but they do handle differently with that load.

I’m sorry. I don’t understand. Are you saying a 12 or a 20 will perform differently with a similar load?