Useless birthday presents

chrisjpainter

1 minute ago, discobob said:

My wife’s family are constantly buying **** for each other’s birthdays and Christmases  - winds me up the amount of **** she gets whereas she spends time (and money) to get them something decent

one Christmas I got a Royal Family toilet gift set that had obviously been grabbed last minute for C&A useless gift area they always had - and I detested that show

that is awful.............she obviously dosnt love you.............time to get out mate.......if i had got that i would have shuved it where the sun dont shine...and i too hate that show

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

that is awful.............she obviously dosnt love you.............time to get out mate.......if i had got that i would have shuved it where the sun dont shine...and i too hate that show

That was off the Sister in law. I don’t get presents off my wife though except what I ask for due to my hatred of useless presents but she won’t question anything I buy for myself. Got my Birthday it was a load of cartridges  

In my family we have my dear, beloved, Auntie Jane. 

I'm pretty sure that she doesn't realise it, but the presents she buys us vary from the quizzical down to the downright comical.  Every year it's a running joke - it makes Christmas worth waiting for because one of us will get "The Booby Prize" !

It's very often me on the receiving end.  Last year I got a chopping board.  No cheese, no knives, not even a trial sized jar of chutney.  Just literally a cutting board!

One year, she must have been saving or scrounging miniature bottles from somewhere.  She bought a fairly average bottle of Glenfiddich and decanted it into 50ml measures in the miniature bottles and gifted one each to all the "grown ups" in the family.  For an added touch of class the bottles were sealed up with micropore.

Now, being only 30-odd, I was one of the "kids" so I got exactly the same except the bottle was filled with extra virgin olive oil! 🤣

I'll miss her when she's gone.

I stopped buying presents for family years ago, partly due to the fact we dont see much of each other but more the fact that you just end up buying things for the sake of it. I remember the days of "Soap on a Rope" and the usually naff socks with pilot holes for toes all ready for the spring whether to entice your big toe out into the open.

But some of the best draw fillers (thats their home for the future years) its got to be Scarves, why i need a draw full of these ill never know, i never wore them as a kid yet my sister thinks thats all i wear when i go out. 

The Mrs and i buy each other useful practical gifts each year, Last year i spent £80 on 2 decent none stick frying pans for the Her kitchen, there were various other gifts of course just to keep the peace, obvious tools to use with these 2 nice new pans. 

But seriously why buy stuff that you dont need, or in many cases dont really want. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

I stopped buying presents for family years ago, partly due to the fact we dont see much of each other but more the fact that you just end up buying things for the sake of it. I remember the days of "Soap on a Rope" and the usually naff socks with pilot holes for toes all ready for the spring whether to entice your big toe out into the open.

But some of the best draw fillers (thats their home for the future years) its got to be Scarves, why i need a draw full of these ill never know, i never wore them as a kid yet my sister thinks thats all i wear when i go out. 

The Mrs and i buy each other useful practical gifts each year, Last year i spent £80 on 2 decent none stick frying pans for the Her kitchen, there were various other gifts of course just to keep the peace, obvious tools to use with these 2 nice new pans. 

But seriously why buy stuff that you dont need, or in many cases dont really want. 

Funny you should say that about not seeing relatives.

When I was growing up as a nipper in the 50s 60s nearly all my aunts, uncles, cousins and grand parents lived within a mile or two, a lot in the same road, as time went by people moved away, some even going aboard to live.

I doubt we see any of my, or my wife's relatives more than once a year, they are scattered far and wide, mind you we do get cards from some of them.

Perhaps they are trying to avoid us..:)

31 minutes ago, London Best said:

When I suggested/asked for tools my Mother in Law instead of buying one decent screwdriver, would always buy the “better bargain” of a full set for the same price.

Yup, I have just cleared out all the naff tools that my FIL used to buy me for Christmas as "stocking fillers", usually those small screwdriver kits that were no good for watchmaking and somehow always included small sockets that fitted no recognised size of nut.

1 hour ago, derbyduck said:

A set of Bear Claws for making pulled pork ! 🙄 . they fit quite tidy in there box along side the knife sharpener and pizza cutter !

😄Pulled Pork😄

An invention for an over cooked joint of Pork/Beef/Chicken or Lamb. 

And add to that what with this "al dente "stuff, either cook stuff or dont ! if i had served  raw veg for an O level Cookery exam i would have been caned by the teacher. 

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

But some of the best draw fillers (thats their home for the future years) its got to be scarves...

Is it time for the scarf joke? Yes!

On their fortieth wedding anniversary a woman goes to her wardrobe and takes out an item saying, to her husband, "See...you keep telling me I've put on weight, saying I'm fat, and all of that, but I can still wear this which I owned when I first met you as a student back way back when." 

"Yes," says he, "It's your college scarf...."

I've just remember the best one , the wine waiters gismo in a leather pouch that fits on a belt  ,it has a brush to remove the dust off the bottle ,a small curved blade to remove the lead foil and a corkscrew , I've never had to use it the wine bottles I buy have screw caps LOL

1 minute ago, Jonty said:

My wife bought me an Aldi reciprocating saw for Christmas - a bare unit, no battery.  Last month for my birthday, she bought me a battery and a charger, which had been as common as rocking horse poo over the last 10 months.  

my god she strung that out....................is she into Tantric sex perchance ?