Bank Interest Rise , How Will It Affect You ?

marsh man

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Well I hope there's no look at rejoining,  we'd end up in a far worse situation than when we left.

And how many countries in Europe are doing well? The ongoing situation in the Ukraine has shown just how fragile things are.

This too. on our own in Europe. 

27 minutes ago, oowee said:

This too. on our own in Europe. 

You are joking right?

The Ukraine war with Russia has shown how little support Germany will lend when it doesn’t suit domestic interests, despite purportedly mandated EU direction.

We’ve had our eyes opened to the importance of energy, military and food independence- let’s hope our moronic leaders are paying attention though.

13 minutes ago, Mungler said:

You are joking right?

The Ukraine war with Russia has shown how little support Germany will lend when it doesn’t suit domestic interests, despite purportedly mandated EU direction.

We’ve had our eyes opened to the importance of energy, military and food independence- let’s hope our moronic leaders are paying attention though.

Don't believe all you read in the papers re Germany. 

11 hours ago, Mungler said:

You are joking right?

Super smart Putin threatens Germany that if they supply war materials he will cut off the gas, which he did. Now the two main pipelines are full of saltwater after the explosions and are effectively destroyed so there is no bargaining chips left there. There is training ongoing in Germany for Ukrainian military personnel.

10 minutes ago, Boybrit said:

Super smart Putin threatens Germany that if they supply war materials he will cut off the gas, which he did. Now the two main pipelines are full of saltwater after the explosions and are effectively destroyed so there is no bargaining chips left there. There is training ongoing in Germany for Ukrainian military personnel.

Ah, but that’s now. The mask slipped and we all caught a glimpse of the level of assistance the Germans were initially prepared to offer in the war against their country’s primary energy provider despite what their EU compadres wanted. 

If you ask me who blew the pipelines up I’d say it was the Yanks to force the Germans over this side of the line - it’s what I would do.  But hey, let’s not open *that* thread again.

All we need to know is that when the brown stuff hits the fan we absolutely can’t count on support from our EU partners - it’s every country for itself. 

Indeed, I have advocated that any UK citizen that relies on the government to dig them out of a hole will end up buried in the very hole they are standing and waiting in. The same applies for these groupings of countries and communities - all window dressed nonsense. 

10 hours ago, oowee said:

Don't believe all you read in the papers re Germany. 

I go to Germany on a monthly basis for work.*  From my perspective, it's worse.

Energy policy in tatters, potential rationing, Euro doing remarkably similar against the dollar as Sterling, shops with empty shelves due to ‘supply chain issues’ - I saw all of this in the 3 states I was last month (Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria and the Rheinland Platinate).

But hey, Brexit is the root of all evil. 

On the day inflation was finally acknowledged in Germany as reaching double digits, I happened to be in the hotel room and have the evening news on.  It didn't even make it in to the running order of stories, but was buried away in the markets news, which is shown at 19:45, main news is on at 20:00.  Curiously they did find time to mention Brexit.

*Brexit appears to have had no impact on this, beyond a different passport queue.  It's almost as if ever closer political & economic union is not necessary if you're interested in free trade...

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Energy policy in tatters, potential rationing, Euro doing remarkably similar against the dollar as Sterling, shops with empty shelves due to ‘supply chain issues’ - I saw all of this in the 3 states I was last month (Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria and the Rheinland Platinate).

On the day inflation was finally acknowledged in Germany as reaching double digits, I happened to be in the hotel room and have the evening news on.  It didn't even make it in to the running order of stories, but was buried away in the markets news, which is shown at 19:45, main news is on at 20:00.  Curiously they did find time to mention Brexit.

*Brexit appears to have had no impact on this, beyond a different passport queue.  It's almost as if ever closer political & economic union is not necessary if you're interested in free trade...

I was referring to Germany in respect of supplies to Ukraine.  I used to have an office in Stuttgart, Frankfurt I love the country.

I wish Brexit effect was limited to just a different border que for me 🤣

It seriously impacted orders for boat parts which I get from Germany.  My sale of deer to Germany has also stopped. The other massive impact is boat travel. I cannot sail to and from Europe anymore with my dog as he can only come back into UK through a designated route (plane or ferry). Also our plans to sail down to the med are hampered by the 90 day rule (its slow sailing) as a result we will have to divert out of the EU and probably stay in Turkey rather than Croatia.  

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Coals to Newcastle springs to mind but fair play for (formerly) managing that!

Perfectly possible to get an EU pet passport, all one needs is an address in the EU or even Switzerland.  Just saying.

The EU part is easy its the UK thats the problem. 

You have to laugh. When it boils down to it 99% of times the remainer complaint is something peripheral and convenience related - like the extra queues at passport control to get to the holiday home in France, Portugal or Italy. Or the problems with driving licenses when motoring across the continent. Or how an E111 card might work.

Now it's pet passports.

I get it and we're all only human, but it's not the high level big stuff that sits behind this, like national sovereignty, European army or a centralized currency is it - it's all about personal inconvenience.

21 minutes ago, Mungler said:

You have to laugh. When it boils down to it 99% of times the remainer complaint is something peripheral and convenience related - like the extra queues at passport control to get to the holiday home in France, Portugal or Italy. Or the problems with driving licenses when motoring across the continent. Or how an E111 card might work.

Now it's pet passports.

I get it and we're all only human, but it's not the high level big stuff that sits behind this, like national sovereignty, European army or a centralized currency is it - it's all about personal inconvenience.

From my experience it has always been thus.

The Brexit mularky is a classic divorce scenario, the combatants will no longer see each other in the same light as they had previously.

17 hours ago, Mungler said:

You are joking right?

3 hours ago, Mungler said:

Now it's pet passports.

This. You’ve got to laugh. I had a bit of an online spat ( I know, hard to believe eh? 🙂 ) with a remoaner as he claimed he was being held up by queues at Barcelona due to passport control. 
I got in touch with some friends, my daughter and my son who were all coincidentally travelling abroad. My friends were off to Barcelona for the weekend prior to a wedding in Cyprus, daughter to Croatia and son to Portugal at that time. They all told me they had no problems and passed through their respective control areas within about 10 mins; my son and friends said the wait for covid checks took longer. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, oowee said:

The inconvenience lack of rights, inability to travel freely is compounded by the economic hit. All for nowt. 

🙂 If they can be removed, then they were never ‘rights’. 

9 hours ago, oowee said:

wish Brexit effect was limited to just a different border que for me 🤣

It seriously impacted orders for boat parts which I get from Germany.  My sale of deer to Germany has also stopped. The other massive impact is boat travel. I cannot sail to and from Europe anymore with my dog as he can only come back into UK through a designated route (plane or ferry). Also our plans to sail down to the med are hampered by the 90 day rule (its slow sailing) as a result we will have to divert out of the EU and probably stay in Turkey rather than Croatia.  

Sounds like my Uncle who was very bitter because he said he had to sell his holiday home, this is why I maintain Brexit won't affect most people, we won't be selling deer or sailing around Europe,  I'm not in anyway jealous, its just not what the majority of the population will have been thinking about when they were given the vote.

11 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Nice to hear first hand experience. 

I doubt we could have relied on on Germany or France before we left anyway. 

12 hours ago, Mice! said:

I doubt we could have relied on on Germany or France before we left anyway. 

Prediction: When the inevitable rolling blackouts happen later this winter, the usual suspects will be moaning that this would never have happened without Brexit.  Our domestic shortfall in generation capacity is somewhat masked by the Dutch and French selling us their power.  EU or not, we need to generate more power domestically, end of.  If it comes to exporting power to the UK or meeting their own needs, they will do the latter.  'Free market' be damned.

16 hours ago, Scully said:

They all told me they had no problems and passed through their respective control areas within about 10 mins

I just can't fathom the obsession people have with passport queues.  Sometimes they're quick, sometimes slow.  I had a very diligent Federal Police officer asking me questions about my job the other week, other times I'm just waved through with a quick stamp.

The EU queue sometimes goes faster, sometimes slower; People of a certain age struggle with the automatic gates.

Either way; it's a small drop in the ocean of the time-suck that is flying these days.  Especially if you have to hump safety gear that's too big for carry-on.

58 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

comes to exporting power to the UK or meeting their own needs, they will do the latter.  'Free market' be damned.

You would expect so, and I'd expect us to do the same.

Didn't someone post that we were selling gas to Germany? If there's going to be a shortage then we shouldn't be selling any.

On 07/11/2022 at 21:56, Mungler said:

You are joking right?

This ^^^^^

On 08/11/2022 at 13:28, Jaymo said:

Where did you get that issued? As the UK one is no longer valid 

Client with a property in France 

just got a French passport for his dog 60 euros from the French vet practice 

travels dog out on one back on the other say’s it saves him a fortune in time and money 

seems Crazy to me but it works for him