Stew weather

harrycatcat1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those slow cookers are very useful if your out working, the meal is there when you get home.  Fortunately we don't have to work these days so we still slow cook but in the old fashioned way and yes, the flavours are retained. Makes me alugh when the media says people cannot afford to eat.  These slow cooker meats are so cheap but they haven't a clue how to go about cooking them or too idle to try. A jacket potato and your good to go.

Stew season /casserole & pie season is in full swing at are house now! Knocked this up today beef skirt with guiness & beef stock onions carrots thyme mushrooms ready for tomorrow's tea with either mash or roasties. ( Roasties cooked in beef dripping ) a fresh crusty loaf & a glass of red wine to wash it down with perfect Sunday food. 

20221105_181530.jpg

Got one on the go at the moment cooked some  cut up  seasoned mutton neck fillets in the pressure cooker. Leave to cool over night then skim the fat off . Then some holy trinity veg & bita pulse mix  dice swede and a big spud to thicken them the piste of resistance  3 cans of butter beans  ...mam ma mia

54 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Those slow cookers are very useful if your out working, the meal is there when you get home.  Fortunately we don't have to work these days so we still slow cook but in the old fashioned way and yes, the flavours are retained. Makes me alugh when the media says people cannot afford to eat.  These slow cooker meats are so cheap but they haven't a clue how to go about cooking them or too idle to try. A jacket potato and your good to go.

This. Last week I was staggered to see a young lass interviewed on the news stating that due to the so called cost of living crisis ( when has it ever been cheap? ) people would have to buy food which wasn’t very healthy for them due to being unable to afford healthier food! Really? 
A very elderly woman I know who spent quite a time in shelters now and again due to an abusive husband, spent most of her time teaching other much younger women in there with her, how to cook, sew and knit. She said it was amazing how many didn’t even know the basics of cooking a meal nor how cheaply they could do it. 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

that about sums it up..............i love doing a couple of lamb hocks to last me 2 days with all the vedge..........or a nice oxtail with vedge and dumplings...one pot meal 

Our little house where we were born was often over crowded with my mother having six children so when I started shooting I would spend a fair bit of time at my grandfather's who lived on the same road , anything I shot he would cook it and two stews I well remember was Rabbit and Coot's , the Rabbit was baked for one meal and the bones and what meat was on them were then put in a stew on another day, very often a steamer would go on top with three or four suet dumplings stuck in , Coots were also very gamey and these were skinned with a Onion put inside the body and a couple of rashes of bacon laid on the breast , these again would make a meal and the stew afterwards was one of my favorites . as a little side note , my grandfather had a coin gas meter in his front room and this is the truth I am telling you it cost 1 penny in old money to get your gas , you put your penny in the slot and wound the dial round until the penny dropped , How long would a old penny last nowadays :lol:

went down the butchers this morning and got some fatty beef..fried it off with vindaloo spice and small salad spuds and spinach.onion..bunged in the slow cooker at 5.30...tasted it at 6...damn near blew my head off....tasted it 5 mins ago...nice and smooth and tasty......so will turn it off and leave it to superate all night.....sunday lunch and monday lunch sorted :good:

just a couple of pics for you curry lovers..:drool:.....gave it a stir for you 2nd pic :lol:

P1000584lunch sun.JPG

P1000585lunch sun.JPG

Edited by ditchman

27 minutes ago, ditchman said:

went down the butchers this morning and got some fatty beef..fried it off with vindaloo spice and small salad spuds and spinach.onion..bunged in the slow cooker at 5.30...tasted it at 6...damn near blew my head off....tasted it 5 mins ago...nice and smooth and tasty......so will turn it off and leave it to superate all night.....sunday lunch and monday lunch sorted :good:

just a couple of pics for you curry lovers..:drool:.....gave it a stir for you 2nd pic :lol:

P1000584lunch sun.JPG

P1000585lunch sun.JPG

Looks lovely 👍 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

P1000584lunch sun.JPG

P1000585lunch sun.JPG

Tell yer what ditchy , you must have a gut lined with stainless steal, it look alright but my taste buds are a bit more delicate , what drink do you have with that , Gaviston ?:drinks:

16 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Tell yer what ditchy , you must have a gut lined with stainless steal, it look alright but my taste buds are a bit more delicate , what drink do you have with that , Gaviston ?:drinks:

if you leave it overnite to "mature".........80% of the heat goes out and what you are left with is a full rounded taste.......if i ate it the same day as making it    ....my backside would look and feel like the best fireworks display you have ever seen....and you would have to sloosh my crotch down with liquid nitrogen at -120degs

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Hunters chicken

UK chick (red tractor)

"   spuds

"  broc

"  mushrooms

"  onions

bit of french wine...bit of italian puree...few foreingn muck herbs

P1000587hunters.JPG

You should open a cafe with your cooking skills, looks lovely, I would be happy to pay for it, don't want a lodger do you?

On 05/11/2022 at 20:57, ditchman said:

just a couple of pics for you curry lovers.......gave it a stir for you 2nd pic 

P1000584lunch sun.JPG

P1000585lunch sun.JPG

can feel the heat from hear 🥵😂

12 minutes ago, ditchman said:

cheers

:good:

So a lodger is out of the question, I’ll pay. :)

Looking at the plate your lovely meal is in reminded me of all the blue crockery my nan used to have, my wife collects a bit of the blue willow pattern crockery and keeps it in her display cabinet, not my kind of thing but she's happy.

Talking of blue crockery it always amazes me when I am walking a ploughed field just how much of that stuff is in the fields, well it is around here, make me wonder how it all gets there?