Remembrance Day

Mungler

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i was reading that there are only 14 villages in the whole of the uk that didnt lose a single person to the 1st and 2nd world war.....

They are called thankful villages, there are 56 parishes in england and wales that lost no men in WWI
14 of them are doubly thankful because they also lost no men in WWII

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

They are called thankful villages, there are 56 parishes in england and wales that lost no men in WWI
14 of them are doubly thankful because they also lost no men in WWII

Indeed. I live in a ‘doubly thankful’ village, and it states as much on its place name sign as you enter it. 

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

This song always gets me, but on a day like today it really hits home. Lest we forget.

Two videos  eric made , returning to the grave of young Willie , he then wrote a follow up song called  " hallowed ground "

Youtube won't let me post a link to the two videos , but worth a search for these  to very moving  videos  search for " Eric Bogle . Return to no man's land  " parts one and two .

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Absolutely. I hoped to be marching past the cenotaph with the rest of the guys but it fell through. Medals polished and ready for tomorrow, but locally and then to the pub.

Just got back from a service at our military cemetary where i laid a wreath on behalf of the Royal Engineers, the parade Marshal wore some bought gongs to make himself look bigger, and in the order of being called to lay a wreath it went Lord Lieutenant, Royal Artillery , Paracute Regiment then Royal Engineers, standards are slipping lol.

6 hours ago, welsh1 said:

the parade Marshal wore some bought gongs to make himself look bigger, 

That is unbelievable.  His name wasn't captain mainwarring was it.?  He should be called out for it.  He must have a serious inferiority complex . Is there some sort of law regarding this sort of behaviour. 

Edit.  Walt medals. 😀😁😂😅😆

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8454715.stm#:~:text=While it is not an,member of the armed forces.

Edited by Minky

i thought that was seriously illeagal....like impersonating a police officer............how can someone living in a community live a fantasy like that....so easy to check...and then when found out becomes a laughing stock everytime "it" shows "its" face............utter stupidity

8 hours ago, Minky said:

That is unbelievable.  His name wasn't captain mainwarring was it.?  He should be called out for it.  He must have a serious inferiority complex . Is there some sort of law regarding this sort of behaviour. 

Edit.  Walt medals. 😀😁😂😅😆

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8454715.stm#:~:text=While it is not an,member of the armed forces.

The Parade Marshal wasn't a walt as he had served and did have at least one genuine medal, he was a Bloater, trying to big himself up, there are many out there.

2 hours ago, welsh1 said:

The Parade Marshal wasn't a walt as he had served and did have at least one genuine medal, he was a Bloater, trying to big himself up, there are many out there.

Of both sorts, never met one that I am aware of but plenty get haunted and hauled over the coals on Facebook. 

Just curious here 

are there any rules for wearing your father’s/ grandfather’s/ great grandfathers medals 

there must be many of us who’s past relatives gave so much for the freedoms that we have 

I ask as traditionally they seem to go to eldest sons down the generations and wonder if a duty comes with the gift a duty to remember conflicts from distant times and remind the next generation of the lessons learned in the past 

I have seen medals worn on the right would this possibly be relatives medals 

like I say just curious 

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Just curious here 

are there any rules for wearing your father’s/ grandfather’s/ great grandfathers medals 

there must be many of us who’s past relatives gave so much for the freedoms that we have 

I ask as traditionally they seem to go to eldest sons down the generations and wonder if a duty comes with the gift a duty to remember conflicts from distant times and remind the next generation of the lessons learned in the past 

I have seen medals worn on the right would this possibly be relatives medals 

like I say just curious 

Relatives medals on the right,wear them with pride.

My dad, never claimed his medals after the war,  he was in North Africa, Crete, Burma he was in the Medical Corps field ambulance, never talked about it, I only found out what he went through after he died , he was nearly captured twice once in Crete and the other in Burma, he escaped Crete in a rowing boat. I claimed his medals after reading an article in a magazine by accident , I applied to the medal office, My mother had to sign them over via a solicitor before I could take possession. I had them mounted in a frame with his cap badge and they hang by his father’s  first war medals, they will be handed down through the family when I go. 

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

Every day's a school day, often seen people at events in civies with medals on their right and thought it was because they were retired 👍

You can read a persons service by his medals, they are worn in order they are awarded left to right, and medals for bravery or mbe/obe etc are always the first . it's why a lot of walts get caught out, being 30 and having a falklands medal isn't the brightest move lol, and any bravery medal is recorded in the Gazette so they are easily found out.
And another one for you, medals have the reciprients name rank and number engraved on the edge as you can see on my GSM 

Just now, alan123shooting said:

My dad, never claimed his medals after the war,  he was in North Africa, Crete, Burma he was in the Medical Corps field ambulance, never talked about it, I only found out what he went through after he died , he was nearly captured twice once in Crete and the other in Burma, he escaped Crete in a rowing boat. I claimed his medals after reading an article in a magazine by accident , I applied to the medal office, My mother had to sign them over via a solicitor before I could take possession. I had them mounted in a frame with his cap badge and they hang by his father’s  first war medals, they will be handed down through the family when I go. 

That's great.

PXL_20221113_131328569~2.jpg

when i first started watching the cenotaph ceromy.....the majority of the participants were 1st world war vets ...limping ...past the cenotaph with hooks for hands and in pump wheel chairs.....then the 2nd world war blokes matched past ..all still of working age...then the queen did her bit

now they are all nearly gone ...no her madge now we have King Charles 3rd.....and god knows how many prime ministers...............christ i feel old

43 minutes ago, welsh1 said:

Relatives medals on the right,wear them with pride.

I never knew that.  As mentioned above, I have my grandfathers medals (never worn them and wouldn't wish to personally). 

My father would have had standard WW2 medals (War Medal 39-45 and 39-45 Star) and possibly also the Italy Star as I know he served in Italy towards the end of the war, but don't know the dates or duration.  He never claimed them.

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I never knew that.  As mentioned above, I have my grandfathers medals (never worn them and wouldn't wish to personally). 

My father would have had standard WW2 medals (War Medal 39-45 and 39-45 Star) and possibly also the Italy Star as I know he served in Italy towards the end of the war, but don't know the dates or duration.  He never claimed them.

You can claim them if you wish.