Sim days

ilovemyheckler

A bit of advice please on sim days.

I am going on a day in a couple of weeks and although I have done sim days before they have mainly been dog training days or informal days.

My next one is a proper sim day - breakfast on arrival, a couple of drives, elevenses in the field, a couple more drives, lunch in the shoot hut followed by a last drive.

My question is will the "keeper" or organiser, in this case, expect a tip?

On a proper shoot day they would but not sure about sim days

Thanks

Edited by ilovemyheckler
Spelling mistake!

I help out at a sim shoot, tips aren't expected but appreciated if they are given. Any that are given are split with the team. At our shoot the normal tip given by the guns is  around 20 quid, but only give if you want.

As vmaxphil said the best tip is 21g cartridges!

• 3 weeks later...

I think people are being carried away with the ‘game day’ part of the experience. No one has worked hard to rear birds or to make sure they are presented in a satisfactory way to ensure the guns have a good day. Simulated game days are are a lucrative business and throwing clays is hardly a difficult job with modern traps. It’s glorified clay shooting with food and drinks. Don’t confuse it with the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Taken teams of 8,10 and several 24s to sim days at various locations and have always had a collection of £10-00 per gun for trappers, catering staff etc an appreciation of a good day..Whilst never expected seems to be very appreciated..

Never looked at it as a Keepers tip more like a tip you may leave in a restaurant etc..

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Personally, I wouldn’t pay to go on a simulated day, let alone tip the trappers.

This. It's like the 20-20 Blast in cricket. All good fun but not very mentally stimulating. I'd sooner shoot a English Sporting with a good coach to tell my why I am missing!

Edited by enfieldspares

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Vastly over-rated, fast, pointless shooting at easy targets and bears very little to what it purports to simulate.

Yes. If it was like some actual driven days I've enjoyed you start by silently moaning that you'd got peg 6 and "With this wind all I'll be getting here is cold" or a grin of smug satisfaction that you'd drawn peg 5 and if all is as it usually is you'd gotten yourself the guinea seat. To then curse as the idiot guest gun on peg to your left kept poaching your birds in front of you. He can shoot alright, a crackshot indeed, that's clear, it just that you'd rather he'd show his skills on his own birds and not yours.

Then when that "drive" was over you'd spend ten minutes "coffee housing" (and the sun noticeably starting to get lower) whilst the keeper wasted time looking for the solitary hen bird that flew over peg 7 and the gun there was sure he'd hit and it had come down "somewhere down in the back hedge" when all else could see it hadn't even reacted to the shot let alone gone over with a leg down.

And all praying that the keeper had a bird shot by the walking guns under his jacket to produce so everybody else can get on with it and make the intended next drive (the last drive of the day) worthwhile where as here they're only standing seven pegs that as "number 8" or "number 9" you'd now be walking with the beaters and might get a good few birds that were going back including when it was legal the chance of the odd jay for a Captain Downham's Fancy!

Now that'd be more like a real simulated drive IMHO!

Edited by enfieldspares

20 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Yes. If it was like some actual driven days I've enjoyed you start by silently moaning that you'd got peg 6 and "With this wind all I'll be getting here is cold" or a grin of smug satisfaction that you'd drawn peg 5 and if all is as it usually is you'd gotten yourself the guinea seat. To then curse as the idiot guest gun on peg to your left kept poaching your birds in front of you. He can shoot alright, a crackshot indeed, that's clear, it just that you'd rather he'd show his skills on his own birds and not yours.

Then when that "drive" was over you'd spend ten minutes "coffee housing" (and the sun noticeably starting to get lower) whilst the keeper wasted time looking for the solitary hen bird that flew over peg 7 and the gun there was sure he'd hit and it had come down "somewhere down in the back hedge" when all else could see it hadn't even reacted to the shot let alone gone over with a leg down.

And all praying that the keeper had a bird shot by the walking guns under his jacket to produce so everybody else can get on with it and make the intended next drive (the last drive of the day) worthwhile where as here they're only standing seven pegs that as "number 8" or "number 9" you'd now be walking with the beaters and might get a good few birds that were going back including when it was legal the chance of the odd jay for a Captain Downham's Fancy!

Now that'd be more like a real simulated drive IMHO!

You really must start going on better run shoots and with nicer people.