TRAFFIC CHAOS.

DUNKS

13 minutes ago, London Best said:

Shopping is when I buy ammunition.

Its just another example of shifting the transport model. The use of the internet is another part of that death of distance.  Get news on line rather than collect a paper. Shop online it all adds up to reducing the need to travel. 

I need some teak to build a chart case for my boat. I go online and buy someones old book case. Someone else will bring it to Bristol and I will collect it in the morning when I go rowing. Two journeys saved let alone hours trying to find some teak. 

The congestion charge scheme for Bristol started this week, lets see what chaos that brings. I am sure it will be a nightmare for a while. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't usually reply to a lot of topics but I've never read so much tripe in all my life, let's buy everything online to hell with shop's and small businesses, let's tax the hell out of anyone who wishes to own a car and have a little independence. Keep the little people confinded so the wealthy can go about their business unhindered. 

I have read the post's and I don't need patronising either, just to help you understand what I meant, the ordinary working man the one's without the boat's just trying to get by in life, running maybe a 10 or more year old car and supporting his family. 

4 hours ago, oowee said:

I am in a similar location. As the bus is 2 miles away and so infrequent very few can use it. As very few use it the service is even further reduced.

We could increase rural taxes (council tax would be a start) to positively shift people to prefer urban living, making rural living less attractive. Taxing fuel more heavily and subsidising mass transport facilities. It certainly wont help everyone but the more that use it the better it will be. The congestion charges in Cities are also a good way to promote mass transport. I would expect in time to see the huge city centre car parks turned over for residential use (this profit could also be taxed). Bus priority, a rethink on electric bikes (raising the speed and facilities available, secure parking and more bike lanes). All be part of the mix of a national rethink on transport. 

Tell me how I can carry a muntie and my rifle back home on a bus. Let's talk common sense here. The four wheeled vehicle is here to stay.  Back in the late 50s I was office boy in an animal feed stuffs firm and back then the railways failed to handle half the supplies we ordered and a large part was often unusable because of delays in siding etc etc.  Nationalised Industries do not work. Again back in the 60s I saw a very expensive cuttng machine delivered to a local coal face only to be filled in a year or two later when the pit closed.

On the point of parking, in Atherstone we could always park in the towns car parks free of charge. These car parks have now been taken over by folks working in the town so now we can take a ticket for an hour and after that we have to pay.          What's the average age of the membership of this forum?  When those folks reach my age you will have to book space to move.   Drive down the A5 on the outskirts of Nuneaton and a 100 acres of prime farm land has just gone under bricks and mortar and every house will have at least two cars.  Heh!! but I'm just an old experation of wind don't believe a word I say.

Just now, Walker570 said:

Tell me how I can carry a muntie and my rifle back home on a bus. Let's talk common sense here. The four wheeled vehicle is here to stay.  Back in the late 50s I was office boy in an animal feed stuffs firm and back then the railways failed to handle half the supplies we ordered and a large part was often unusable because of delays in siding etc etc.  Nationalised Industries do not work. Again back in the 60s I saw a very expensive cuttng machine delivered to a local coal face only to be filled in a year or two later when the pit closed.

On the point of parking, in Atherstone we could always park in the towns car parks free of charge. These car parks have now been taken over by folks working in the town so now we can take a ticket for an hour and after that we have to pay.          What's the average age of the membership of this forum?  When those folks reach my age you will have to book space to move.   Drive down the A5 on the outskirts of Nuneaton and a 100 acres of prime farm land has just gone under bricks and mortar and every house will have at least two cars.  Heh!! but I'm just an old experation of wind don't believe a word I say.

Para 1 see above.

Para 2 I see the problem. What is the solution? 

5 hours ago, oowee said:

We could increase rural taxes (council tax would be a start) to positively shift people to prefer urban living, making rural living less attractive.

Actually rural living is already much more heavily taxed in relation to the services provided.

However Kahn (and many other cities) is desperately trying to further tax (dressed up as a 'Low Emissions Zone') the travelling public, local deliveries, small traders, builders, plumbers etc in London with more traffic charges with a greatly extended charge area starting next August I believe.  With idiots like him in charge, is it any wonder people don't want to live in the big cities!

You suggest increasing rural taxes to "positively shift people to prefer urban living" whereas in fact city dwellers are having taxes increased encouraging them to move out of the cities.

Meanwhile Joe public is just being 'bullied by tax grabs' both ways!

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

Actually rural living is already much more heavily taxed in relation to the services provided.

However Kahn (and many other cities) is desperately trying to further tax (dressed up as a 'Low Emissions Zone') the travelling public, local deliveries, small traders, builders, plumbers etc in London with more traffic charges with a greatly extended charge area starting next August I believe.  With idiots like him in charge, is it any wonder people don't want to live in the big cities!

You suggest increasing rural taxes to "positively shift people to prefer urban living" whereas in fact city dwellers are having taxes increased encouraging them to move out of the cities.

Meanwhile Joe public is just being 'bullied by tax grabs' both ways!

I think its a good thing to promote a healthy environment particularly air quality. For a trader working in the city and its wider environs there is little excuse for running a non ulez compliant vehicle. Particularly as the cost can be offset against the tax paid. It's an inevitable part of progress the more we pollute the more we will have to sort it out.  We all have a part to play and simply blaming everyone else for our own lack of care is not sustainable. 

Unfortunately we have a govt with the highest tax on record and very little to show for it. I see very little strategy for the taxation system we have. 

Lets start with some road pricing and bring back the fuel duty escalator. All would help towards our carbon neutral objectives. 

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Start not paying folks to have kids. Reduce the population.

I agree ......... but we have a large part of the population saying we need more immigration to fill labour needs to promote growth

The truth (my view) is that in fact what we need to do is get the considerable number who are of working age but choose not to work into working and earning rather than free loading.

Growth needs to come not from more numbers working, but more productivity from the current working population.  You cannot go on 'growing' in every respect - unless we find a way of growing the size of the globe on which we live.

27 minutes ago, oowee said:

I think its a good thing to promote a healthy environment particularly air quality. For a trader working in the city and its wider environs there is little excuse for running a non ulez compliant vehicle. Particularly as the cost can be offset against the tax paid.

Let's start with ULEZ - it's expansion did next to nothing in reducing air pollution, it did however create revenue, in more ways that one.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/air-quality/has-the-ulez-been-unfair-to-drivers-new-tfl-report-reveals-disappointing-ea/

Now lets get to the trader having little excuse - Not having the money to buy a compliant vehicle, might just be classed as an excuse. It's all well it being tax deductible, but if you cannot afford the vehicle in the first place, that's completely irrelevant. You should probably have a look at what you can claim as well, unless it is super low emissions under 50g/km, it decreases drastically. So fully electric or brand new hybrid, both cost the earth.

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

So fully electric or brand new hybrid, both cost the earth.

And many small traders living in London will struggle with an electric as I'm told (by someone who ran an electricians business in London charging can be very difficult.  You either need to be prepared to wait at a charging station while it charges, or have 'off the road' facilities at home to charge up at night.  They alrwady have to empty the van of tools every night as they get broken into.  Most small traders (plumbers, electricians, decorators etc) cannot afford to go out and just buy/lease a new van because some some callous uncaring Mayor sees him/her as a source of revenue.

10 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Let's start with ULEZ - it's expansion did next to nothing in reducing air pollution, it did however create revenue, in more ways that one.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/air-quality/has-the-ulez-been-unfair-to-drivers-new-tfl-report-reveals-disappointing-ea/

Now lets get to the trader having little excuse - Not having the money to buy a compliant vehicle, might just be classed as an excuse. It's all well it being tax deductible, but if you cannot afford the vehicle in the first place, that's completely irrelevant. You should probably have a look at what you can claim as well, unless it is super low emissions under 50g/km, it decreases drastically. So fully electric or brand new hybrid, both cost the earth.

Air pollution cut by a 1/3 and traffic by 13500 vehicles a day sounds like a result. Vans can be leased and will quickly be offset by the £15 a day charge.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

And many small traders living in London will struggle with an electric as I'm told (by someone who ran an electricians business in London charging can be very difficult.  You either need to be prepared to wait at a charging station while it charges, or have 'off the road' facilities at home to charge up at night.  They alrwady have to empty the van of tools every night as they get broken into.  Most small traders (plumbers, electricians, decorators etc) cannot afford to go out and just buy/lease a new van because some some callous uncaring Mayor sees him/her as a source of revenue.

My heart bleeds for polluters. 250 mls wltp range for ev vans. There is also the option to change working hours and provide a customer focused service. 

Not for a moment suggesting this is the answer for any particular individuals but overall we have to stop killing residents. Where there is a will there is a way.

Just now, oowee said:

Where there is a will there is a way.

Yes, tax the small traders, small businesses, visiting health workers/nurses/care staff into submission.  That's Kahn's way for certain.  Usual Labour poilicy just like Denis Healey who was going to 'tax until the pips squeaked'

Taxing people into doing your will is nothing more than Government bullying.

The problem in most of the new outer London ULEZ zone is that public transport continues to be biased to inner London.

Thanks to the wider spaces there are no easy to get to buses, trains or tubes for me, without a minimum 1/2 mile walk.

The level of pollution due to traffic is minimal, again, due to the wide spaces. 

This is merely a tax grab by someone who we, in the outer suburbs, certainly did not vote for.

At the very least there ought to be dispensation for the disabled.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Yes, tax the small traders, small businesses, visiting health workers/nurses/care staff into submission.  That's Kahn's way for certain.  Usual Labour poilicy just like Denis Healey who was going to 'tax until the pips squeaked'

Taxing people into doing your will is nothing more than Government bullying.

Health and care workers NHS staff can reclaim. We have no choice better to tax and to save lives. We did the same for smoking why should drivers be exempt?

37 minutes ago, oowee said:

We have no choice better to tax and to save lives.

There are lots of FAR better ways to save lives - start with making the NHS work better.  I do not believe that (outside the very central areas) pollution from traffic is now a major killer.  These 'congestion charges' are just revenue raising from the ordinary working community by the local govt.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There are lots of FAR better ways to save lives - start with making the NHS work better.  I do not believe that (outside the very central areas) pollution from traffic is now a major killer.  These 'congestion charges' are just revenue raising from the ordinary working community by the local govt.

Absolutely 

21 hours ago, B725 said:

I have read the post's and I don't need patronising either, just to help you understand what I meant, the ordinary working man the one's without the boat's just trying to get by in life, running maybe a 10 or more year old car and supporting his family. 

👍🏻